Trying to use the Persona 4 widescreen patch but I must be making a mistake
I found the culprit. It was texture filtering. When it's turn on, I get the black bars about dialogue portraits. When it's highlight (same as off?), the lines go away and when it's off completely (no check or blue highlight) the lines don't show up either.

Those horizontal lines only appear when texture filtering is turned on.

So my next question is, what does texture filtering do? And is it really just a toss up of what looks better to me? Texture filtering on with those black bars or texture filtering off with no black bars.

Sponsored links

Texture filtering does exactly what it says: it filters the textures.
Without it, 2D portraits and textures just look pixelated and awful, so I'd keep it on.
I also recommending pumping up the saturation in Shade Boost to 60 or 65.

Maybe try a custom resolution of 1280x720, and perhaps try turning on FXAA with the page-up key.
I'll try those suggestion later. I am curious though if anyone else playing Persona 4 sees these black lines. To me, they appear to be the rectangular border of character portraits. Not sure why the texture filtering is making it visible but it's the only option that I've seen that affects the black lines.

I'll play with it a bit more later to try and improve it.

There's one more video issue I am trying to solve. I am getting noticable screen tearing and Vsync doesn't do much, if anything. Is there another setting I can try to make it better?
Maybe try going into AMD Catalyst and trying to force Vsync, if there is an option.
GS Window has two options, "Wait for vsync on refresh" and "Dynamically toggle vysnc depending on frame rate", so you could try those.

You also want to close all your other background applications while running the emu (or games, in general) for some extra speed-up.
I notice that in your screencap, you seem to have lots of other programs running in the bottom right. Do you need Daemon Tools open for any reason?
Nope, I didn't think background programs would make a difference but I'll close all the unnecessary programs later and see if that improved anything.
Closing unnecessary background programs like Adobe Reader, Daemon Tools, Skype, Firefox, Steam, Norton Anti-Virus, etc, will help boost your speed a bit, even if it may not help with screen tearing.
I recommend Start > type "msconfig" > Start up tab. Then you'll see a list of all the programs that run every time you start Windows 7. I just click "Disable all".

Oddly enough, I've never ever encountered any screen tearing in PCSX2. I use a GeForce card and force Vsync on, so that might have helped.
Ok, so here's what I tried and here's what happened.

Closing background programs no noticable effect on the screen tearing but some of the stuff running in the background was junk so either way I am glad I did it.

I changed my nVidia settings to control Vsync and leave it on. Not sure if this helped or not.

What I think did it was changing the plugin to DX9. That seems to have taken care of the screen tearing. I have a DX11 compatible GPU so I am not sure why this made a difference. I was using DX11 in hardware mode if that changes things.

As it is now I think the game is as good as it can get for me which is still miles above the PS2 equivalent.

Thanks for the help.