User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Tutorial]Adding Turbo Boost to AMD CPUs
Livy Offline
Posting Freak

[Tutorial]Adding Turbo Boost to AMD CPUs
First, this quote from Wikipedia is for the noobs who do not know what Turbo Boost is.

Quote:Intel Turbo Boost is a technology implemented by Intel in certain versions of their Nehalem-based CPUs, including Core i5 and Core i7 that enables the processor to run above its base operating frequency via dynamic control of the CPU's "clock rate". It is activated when the operating system requests the highest performance state of the processor.

To compete Intel, AMD recently implements a similar technology under the name "Turbo Core", which is basically the same as Intel Turbo Boost. Unfortunately, at the moment no AMD mobile processor has this technology, even a Phenom II such as mine.

The i5 and i7 have a large advantage with Turbo Boost, and can boost PCSX2 performance drawmatically when only 2 cores are active. I am really discomfort with my Phenom II N930. It has 4 cores indeed, but does not have Turbo Boost at all. So I resolve to add Turbo Boost/Turbo Core to my CPU at all costs. After spending some spare time studying, I finally did it Cool. Here is the tutorial for AMD CPUs which don't have Turbo Core.

What you need:
  1. An AMD processor
  2. AMD Vision Control Engine Center

The Vision Control Engine Center can be downloaded from official AMD website. Download x86 version here, and x64 version here.

Important: Intel CPU won't work. Those who have Intel processors do not wait your time reading.

Now let's get to work. Open the Vision Control Engine Center by right clicking the desktop and select "AMD VISION Control Engine Center". In the Control Center, select "Power" drop-down list and then the "CPU Power" item (see image below).

Now drag the CPU control bar and specify 2 points - a minimum and a maximum speed of your choice. For example, I set the minimum speed of my CPU to 1.7 Ghz and the maximum to 2.0 Ghz. It means your CPU run at 1.7 Ghz in normal condition, and "when the operating system requests the highest performance state of the processor", it automatically increase the frequency to 2.0 Ghz. Now, basically I'm having a Phenom II X4 @ 1.7 Ghz with Turbo Boost to 2.0 Ghz Laugh.

[Image: TurboBoost.png]

Advantages over Intel Turbo Boost:
  1. Intel CPUs can only boost when they do not reach temperature, voltage... limit. When they reaches these limits, they cannot boost anymore.
  2. Intel Turbo Boost requires the other cores to be inactive to get effectiveness. For example, the i7 720QM @ 1.6 Ghz can boost to 2.8 Ghz when 1 core is active, but can only boost to 1.73 Ghz when all 4 cores are active. You see, mine can boost all 4 cores to 2.0 Ghz simultaneously. No Intel CPU can do that Tongue.
07-25-2011 06:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Sponsored links

jesalvein Offline
Registered IT crowd

RE: [Tutorial]Adding Turbo Boost to AMD CPUs
Thx m8.
I'll give it a shot Wink

CPU : I7 2600K Oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz
Mobo : Intel P67 southbridge
GPU : NVIDIA Geforce 560 GTX
RAM : 6 Go
07-25-2011 06:31 PM
haxor Offline
Banned

yo. nice find. basic soft-oc huh?
07-25-2011 07:29 PM
miseru99 Offline
Translator

I prefer to simply use CnQ profiles with K10Stat, gives me more control over that along with undervolting, even if I would like highest power state(p0) to be turned on automatically over like 90-95% of cpu load which would work pretty much same as the above.
Example:

Althrough I generally rather use manual control. Couse i usually know when I will need more powerSmile. (huh and don't laugh from 400mhzTongue in my screenshot it's more than enough for browsing web or downloading hit's like 4-10% of those 400mhz now)

For intel I guess there was a program called ThrottleStop that allows for a much better control of turbo mode than leaving it to "on/off" in bios:].

07-25-2011 07:55 PM
abdo123 Offline
plant scientist !!!!

Can you figure out something for intel CPU that doesnt have turbo boost Wink
Good job
Edit : @ jesalvein :
please post some result i have the same CPU on a different computer on a different clock
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2011 08:25 PM by abdo123.)
07-25-2011 08:13 PM

Current time: 11-01-2014, 04:28 AM