Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two super noob questions
I know these questions could sound stupid to the developers or other forum members, but I'm a complete noob in the world of emulation  Blush

1) What's the difference between interpreter and recomplier and why is the interpreter a lot slower?
2) Would a "pre-recompiled" game perform better rather that recompiling it on the fly?

Sponsored links

There's no such thing as pre-recompiled games. cause that option is purely how the cpu from the ps2 is emulated. Afaik The difference between the two is that interpreter means the emulator runs the code as is, which is super slow due to the code having to emulate 4 different processors that work together rather then the way cpu's for pcs do. And recompiler basically converts the functions into a single thread (kinda) code that the cpu is more fluent with which makes it faster. As i said. Afaik. I could be completely wrong.
[Image: dy6224-5.png]
(11-28-2016, 03:12 PM)rikimaruaxu Wrote: There's no such thing as pre-recompiled games. cause that option is purely how the cpu from the ps2 is emulated. Afaik The difference between the two is that interpreter means the emulator runs the code as is, which is super slow due to the code having to emulate 4 different processors that work together rather then the way cpu's for pcs do. And recompiler basically converts the functions into a single thread (kinda) code that the cpu is more fluent with which makes it faster. As i said. Afaik. I could be completely wrong.

close Tongue

Interpreter: Straight code which reads the source instruction, works out what it needs to do and spits out the output. Generally slow, lots of overhead and no shortcuts are taken.

Recompiler: Reads entire blocks of code, works out how to optimally get to the right results, then stores the sequence of x86 instructions to read later. Only reads the data once (unless it's modified of course) and generates very optimal code with very little overhead. Can take advantage of caching/storing data on the cpu for quick reading and further reducing the number of cpu cycles needed by even more.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
I've been paying attention to the emulation scene for years. I was here for like... the old days. like 2-3? websites ago. So I know the basics. and can understand what the commits are for. But I couldn't do it myself. =p ergo why i was close.
[Image: dy6224-5.png]