Ubuntu running pcsx2 1.1.0.0 slowly
Hey guys, i'm sure this is a standard issue but I can't fine a solution anywhere so I thought I would just try to post a thread and see what happens. I am running Ubuntu 13.04 on a Dell Studio 1555. Pretty good computer but I am not sure if it's good enough to run this so that might be my issue but I want to try everything before I give up.

First off it took me forever to get the video even work, I finally tried ZZOgl 3.0 (i tired 4.0 as well but it crashes with that one) and got the video to play the loading menu. But this is where the fun begins. The first sound the PS2 makes, those tones and airy/windy sounds, sound really strange and deep and chopped up. the fps ready in the teens. I have tried changing the sound settings to make this better and it seemed to help but very little. If I wait long enough to get to the game (Final Fantasy X) all the text is pixelly. I can only make out about 30% of the letters. So navigating through menus from memory alone. Everything is still extremely slow and distorted sounding. Haven't even tried to actually play the game yet. Is there any way I can speed this up, or is this because of my hardware not being up to the job? Thank you in advance!

Sponsored links

(02-20-2014, 01:39 PM)JacobGates Wrote: Hey guys, i'm sure this is a standard issue but I can't fine a solution anywhere so I thought I would just try to post a thread and see what happens. I am running Ubuntu 13.04 on a Dell Studio 1555. Pretty good computer but I am not sure if it's good enough to run this so that might be my issue but I want to try everything before I give up.

First off it took me forever to get the video even work, I finally tried ZZOgl 3.0 (i tired 4.0 as well but it crashes with that one) and got the video to play the loading menu. But this is where the fun begins. The first sound the PS2 makes, those tones and airy/windy sounds, sound really strange and deep and chopped up. the fps ready in the teens. I have tried changing the sound settings to make this better and it seemed to help but very little. If I wait long enough to get to the game (Final Fantasy X) all the text is pixelly. I can only make out about 30% of the letters. So navigating through menus from memory alone. Everything is still extremely slow and distorted sounding. Haven't even tried to actually play the game yet. Is there any way I can speed this up, or is this because of my hardware not being up to the job? Thank you in advance!

You hardware is too weak.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
(02-20-2014, 03:48 PM)Donovan24 Wrote: You hardware is too weak.

That's what I feared. Okay thank you so much!
(02-20-2014, 01:39 PM)JacobGates Wrote: Hey guys, i'm sure this is a standard issue but I can't fine a solution anywhere so I thought I would just try to post a thread and see what happens. I am running Ubuntu 13.04 on a Dell Studio 1555. Pretty good computer but I am not sure if it's good enough to run this so that might be my issue but I want to try everything before I give up.

Your video card is not good enough for the job Sad. But you can give it a try to the last version of pcsx2 with gsdx which is faster than ZZOgl also you need mesa drivers up to date Smile
PC:
EVGA 600 +80 PSU
NVIDIA GTX 550ti EVGA 2GB VRAM
[Image: hj0zqy-4.png]
(02-20-2014, 03:50 PM)JacobGates Wrote: That's what I feared. Okay thank you so much!

No problemSmile

(02-20-2014, 03:52 PM)Butz_san Wrote: Your video card is not good enough for the job Sad. But you can give it a try to the last version of pcsx2 with gsdx which is faster than ZZOgl also you need mesa drivers up to date Smile

The thing is his CPU is really not good for pcsx2 either.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
(02-20-2014, 03:55 PM)Donovan24 Wrote: No problemSmile

The thing is his CPU is really not good for pcsx2 either.

But it's enough for Final Fantasy X at 40-50 fps, I've seen running this game in a Pentium 4 at 60 fps Smile
PC:
EVGA 600 +80 PSU
NVIDIA GTX 550ti EVGA 2GB VRAM
[Image: hj0zqy-4.png]
(02-20-2014, 04:19 PM)Butz_san Wrote: But it's enough for Final Fantasy X at 40-50 fps, I've seen running this game in a Pentium 4 at 60 fps Smile

the most fps I have seen on my computer was 50 and it was during a black screen before the beginning credits. The moment words appear it goes below 30.