Unexplainable button delay
Both of you try disabling vsync.

Sponsored links

Disable vsync works for sure.
So if you have a system that is capable of running a game at constant 60fps. Is there any way to have vsync on and not have to suffer input lag?
Phenom 955 x4 @ 3.6
4GB DDR3 @ 1500
4870x2
What works for me on my ATI is a combination of 2 things:

1. Enable PCSX2 frame limiting! (hit the tab key for quick framelimit toggling)

2. If using DX9, then download and use the ATI Tray Tools (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733) and create a profile for PCSX2. In one of the (many!) options panels is an option that reads Flip Queue Size. Set it to 0.

I'm going to investigate making this stuff "implicitly bound" to vsync, once I'm finished with the wx port. The problem is how the MTGS works -- certain types of games end up emulating way out ahead of the graphics you see on-screen, because the MTGS ringbuffer can queue up the data for many frames of GS data (other games may send a lot more data to the GS, and so they queue fewer total frames in advance of what you see on screen). And without PCSX2's frame limiter being enabled, it just keeps emulating as fast as possible until that queue fills, totally unaware that the GS is locked at 60fps.

So while you see frame 5050, internally PCSX2's actually emulating and rendering frame 5058. This is good for improving framerates on slower games and with vsync disabled, but bad for when vsync is enabled.

The solution is to have the MTGS change its frame queue thresholds based on the user's vsync settings, and/or have vsync and married tied together. The problem is that the vsync setting is GS plugin territory and PCSX2 doesn't know what that value is (yet).

Anyways, Flip Queues do basically the same thing as the MTGS with the framelimiter disabled -- they allow the game to render multiple frames into a queue in advance of what's actually being seen (and apparently they're a DX9-only thing? So I'm told). So when you have both enabled, lag grows exponentially. Neither is really beneficial when vsync is enabled, so turn them off, and enjoy.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
I have been using DX10 as I get much better speeds but will give this a go for sure.
Thanks for such a comprehensive post!!!
Phenom 955 x4 @ 3.6
4GB DDR3 @ 1500
4870x2
Right I have it installed and its a great utility! So much better than CCC.
Working perfectly in a couple of games. Namely Melty blood and GGXXslash.
I seem to be getting constant 60fps too so I don't know what made me think that DX10 was running better. Must have been a specific game.
I am very happy to be running lag free with vsync on! It was quite ugly all the tearing in Melty blood.
I am even more in your debt my man.

Laurie.
Phenom 955 x4 @ 3.6
4GB DDR3 @ 1500
4870x2
(07-22-2009, 01:17 AM)Lam47 Wrote: Right I have it installed and its a great utility! So much better than CCC.

Yeah it is. I actually uninstalled CCC after installing ATI TT, since it pretty wwell lets me do everything and more. You can remove CCC without removing your core ATI drivers. It saves like 80 megs of ram and cuts down on reboot/login time and everything. Smile

(and well dunno about anyone else, but CCC for me was really prone to giving me stupid errors when I booted up or logged into my XP user account... missing component this, unhandled exception that, etc. Glare )
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Yup I got that kind of crap with every boot. No matter how carefully I would install CCC.
I still have my issue with Windows explorer crashing when I exit a game in PCSX2 but that only takes a few seconds to re start.
Its running so well now.
I have noticed a few small things. Like in KOF 2002 the 3d backgrounds have some errors running in DX9 where as in DX10 they are faultless. Other than this its perfect!
Thanks again for the help.
Phenom 955 x4 @ 3.6
4GB DDR3 @ 1500
4870x2
I have noticed that some games lag more than others when Vsync is enabled.
And that some look a lot worse without it than others.
Is this to do with the games native resolution?

Also why does forcing Vsync through the video card drivers not seem to work? I still seem to get the same tearing.
I have a lot of questions I know.
I like to learn Smile
Phenom 955 x4 @ 3.6
4GB DDR3 @ 1500
4870x2