Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade advice
With my current setup would i be better off upgrading my graphics card or my mobo/cpu for improved performance.
Geforce 9600 GT 512mb
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Be OCed 4.2 ghz
MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
4GB RAM

Sponsored links

Upgrade plans are meant for PCSX2 use or general?

You would get most from updating your CPU, something like a Phenom II 3.2GHz or higher would do quite well (even best if you overclock it a bit). The 9600gt does the job for most games unless you raise the resolution much.

However it really depends on what games you plan on using with the emulator.

But first, what is your budget for upgrade? We could suggest better options knowing the budget.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Mainly for PCSX2 since i can run most new games with this setup anyways. and gamewise the SMT games, DMC, drakengard, and a few other random action and rpg games. Of them currently SMT nocturne is the only one that runs good with close to no fps issues.
Geforce 9600 GT 512mb
4GB RAM
If you're wanting the best for PCSX2, you should consider Intel. Nothing less than an Athlon II, Phenom II or Core 2 at over 3.0Ghz is recommended on a general basis, though. AMD Phenom II X4 are pretty good processors for their price. The 955 comes to mind, but you will need a new motherboard. In this case, it is a sensible time to consider switching to Intel. Just make sure it's still something you personally want. Smile
(06-18-2011, 01:39 AM)Rezard Wrote: If you're wanting the best for PCSX2, you should consider Intel. Nothing less than an Athlon II, Phenom II or Core 2 at over 3.0Ghz is recommended on a general basis, though. AMD Phenom II X4 are pretty good processors for their price. The 955 comes to mind, but you will need a new motherboard. In this case, it is a sensible time to consider switching to Intel. Just make sure it's still something you personally want. Smile

mmm the 955 is amd2+, right? so he still can used in that mobo or im missing something?

ps anyway if ur planing to upgrade ur pc, yea intel would be the choice.
ps2 still loving my amd xD
The 955 is an AM3. Basically, the only relevant AMD processors at this point (other than the upcoming, of course).
Looking at stuff i'm debating either the phenom II x4 or x6 as well as a new mobo and debating between either 4 or 8 gigs of ddr3 ram.

If I was to look at intel stuff what would you reccomend.
Geforce 9600 GT 512mb
4GB RAM
Just know if you're going the DDR3 route you will need a new motherboard, period. Your current motherboard may be fine for some of the newer phenom II's as long as there is a bios update that supports them (AM3 processors are backwards compatible with AM2+ boards).

That said a phenom II of any variety will be a noticable speed increase from the first generation phenom which were slower clock for clock than the athlon 64 x2 line they were supposed to be replacing (except in certain multi-threaded applications, and even then not near as much as they SHOULD have beaten them)
[Image: 2748844.png]
(06-18-2011, 06:49 PM)Koji Wrote: Just know if you're going the DDR3 route you will need a new motherboard, period. Your current motherboard may be fine for some of the newer phenom II's as long as there is a bios update that supports them (AM3 processors are backwards compatible with AM2+ boards).

Oh didn't know am3 was backwards compatible, if thats the case i could probably do processor and graphics card rather then bothering with a mobo right now
Geforce 9600 GT 512mb
4GB RAM
looking at the gtx 460 SE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814130597
and the phenom II x4 980 BE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103934
Would taht be a good pair to increase performance?
Geforce 9600 GT 512mb
4GB RAM