Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade suggestions
Hey guys.Since Christmas is coming and i 'll get a lot of money then,i 'd like to do some little upgrading to my pc.I want to change the ram or the gpu I know have or maybe the hdd with an ssd.

I have this m/b and this gpu with 2gb ram(2X1 gb) ddr2 dual channel 1066 MHz.

Is it better to buy 4gb ddr3 dual channel 1333MHz than another 4gb ddr2 1066 MHz (so i will have 6gb ram)?

Also,should i prefer to buy the same gpu again to use it in sli mode(if my m/b supports sli) or should i buy a ati hd radeon 4890 for example?

Suggest anything you think is better but plz i inform you that i can spent only about 300 €.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored links

You didn't list your CPU, but since there aren't any current CPUs that will have a noticable benefit from 1333 DDR3, the more DDR2 will be more beneficial.

Your mobo has 2 PCI-E, but understand that only 1 is a 16x slot, the other is a 4x slot so it would not be ideal for SLI. If you're planning on this upgrade holding you off for a good while, instead of getting the 4890 I'd look into a DX11 card like the 5770. It wouldn't be quite as strong in DX10 games, but it would have the newer technology, be a bit cheaper, and still be more than enough to run most modern PC games at 60FPS at 1080p (pcsx2 included)
[Image: 2748844.png]
My cpu is an intel core 2 quad q9300(sorry for not mentioning it).

So i am gonna buy a 4gb ddr2 ram kit.But if i also keep the 2gb i already have,will all 6gb work together in dual channel mode or there may be a problem?

As for the gpu i randomly said ati 4890.If i can afford it i would like to go for a nvidia one since i use pcsx2 a lot.But nvidia doesn't seem going to release its gt3xxx series till christmas. Sad
(12-08-2009, 07:04 PM)DarkDante Wrote: My cpu is an intel core 2 quad q9300(sorry for not mentioning it).

So i am gonna buy a 4gb ddr2 ram kit.But if i also keep the 2gb i already have,will all 6gb work together in dual channel mode or there may be a problem?

As for the gpu i randomly said ati 4890.If i can afford it i would like to go for a nvidia one since i use pcsx2 a lot.But nvidia doesn't seem going to release its gt3xxx series till christmas. Sad

For general usage or gaming, I don't think there is a need to have 6gb of ram, and I don't think you will be able to feel the difference between 1066 and 1333. If you don't have any special needs of ram, I will suggest you to buy 2*1gb of 1066 MHz ddr2, and it should be more than enough.

For gpu, If you don't care about benchmarks, you may just want to buy whichever one you are willing to pay for. To me, I really don't see much difference between those high end cards in terms of practical usage.

note that you will need a 64bit os in order to have all 6gb ram to work.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
Darkdante: The ATi bug that caused a lot of slowdowns was fixed recently, so there isn't nearly as much difference between the two. That said, a modern graphics card from either will give you great results, and if you don't want to wait for nvidia to release their DX11 line, ATi's 5000 series of cards has been getting a ton of praise and are really great value per speed and wattage with the 5750 and 5770's being at just the right sweet spot.
gtx 3xx i maybe we will see it at easter, its being postponed all the time .. definetlny not this year
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
Forgot to mention that i use vmware workstation in windows vista home premium and also run together 2-3 firefox,1 photoshop cs4,msn and format factory or super video converter.So as you can understand the 2gb ram aren't enough.Will 4gb be enough or should i head for the 6gb kit.I know that i have to use 64bit.As for the graphics card i am not sure if buying a dx11 compatible card is needed cause as we can see dx9 is still used by a lot of new games(like The Saboteur that recently came out).
This is true, but it's going to be phased out as the amount of people switching to windows 7 continues to go up as XP membership is slowly going down. It may take another year or two, but it will happen Wink

For the same reason, if you're going to be spending about the same I'd against suggest the 6gb over 4gb of the faster ram. Your processor won't see a difference between ram speeds, and the greater amount of ram is more futureproof than the faster bandwidth ddr3.
Chiming in to support the 6GB option.

The extra 2 GB will provide a whole lot more breathing space, and if it prevents any amount of paging then it'll be worth it. Especially if you're running photoshop and doing anything with video, which tend to balloon in RAM usage rather quickly.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
Ok thanks for your answer guys.I am gonna buy a 4gb ddr2 1066 MHz kit.Hope there won't be a compability problem with the other 2gbs.

Now to the ssd part.Does it reserve its money or should i stay with a normal hdd?