Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade to Q9650 worth 123$?

My system is in my signature
I mostly am considering this because,
Much better performance in newer games, I would assume (not pcsx2)

And most of all, The ability to stream/record games.

So, 123$ for a q9650 ( I have artic silver and h60)
vs 400$+ for I5-2500k upgrade

or even, Does anyone on the forum want to sell me their old core2quad Laugh?

Or Lastly, wait for ivy bridge O;
and hope It is not super expensive.
[Image: 8rg00e-4.png]

Sponsored links

I'd say this isn't worth it unless yet much cheaper.
You gain 2 cores and a bit of cache.
OC will be a little harder so eventhough the process is smaller (at 45nm),
your final oc might not be bigger than 3.8Ghz.

The gain from the extra cores will be noticeable but not ground breaking.
So I'd wait it out.
Id imagine that your final overclock will not be as high as your current one, the overall die temperature has to be maintained and with those 2 extra cores in there, it's bound to run hotter, further reducing the overclock you can reach.

In most cases, dual core is currently still plenty, there isnt a great deal of programs (apart from our emulator *smug*) that take proper advantage of more than 2 cores.

I would personally say, hold out till the ivy bridge if you want to upgrade, then just get one of the normal ones. I don't see the point in getting a K model, you can still get a good overclock from the bus and its more useful than multiplier overclocking. Who needs 5ghz for gaming? srsly Tongue 4Ghz from bus overclocking will probably be just as fast in a lot of cases.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
(12-06-2011, 12:51 AM)refraction Wrote: Id imagine that your final overclock will not be as high as your current one, the overall die temperature has to be maintained and with those 2 extra cores in there, it's bound to run hotter, further reducing the overclock you can reach.

In most cases, dual core is currently still plenty, there isnt a great deal of programs (apart from our emulator *smug*) that take proper advantage of more than 2 cores.

I would personally say, hold out till the ivy bridge if you want to upgrade, then just get one of the normal ones. I don't see the point in getting a K model, you can still get a good overclock from the bus and its more useful than multiplier overclocking. Who needs 5ghz for gaming? srsly Tongue 4Ghz from bus overclocking will probably be just as fast in a lot of cases.
Need 5ghz to play skyrim and stream it 1080p
also i am on a cosair h60, I was never limited by temps
I am limited by stock voltage

This is assuming that Ivy Bridge will indeed allow for meaningful bus overclocking.
So far I've read that BCLK can be stepped with IB, giving you a base of 100, 133, 150mhz and so forth.
But here's the catch:
What's holding Intel from also lowering the CPU multiplier range when it detects a higher BCLK?
I'm sure they can think of a reasonable explanation for that, and I'm sure they're considering it ><
3.8GHz on a Q9650 is effortless and not to mention is has a higher multiplier than a Q9550, so 4+GHz is within reach unless you have one crappy motherboard. Also, heat is not an issue with these Q9xxx series because they're using 45nm. When it comes to pcsx2 it's just a few hundred megahertz apart to match a Sandy Bridge CPU. I will continue to use my Core 2 Quad system until Haswell is released simply because the Q9xxx performance doesn't disappoint me.
(12-08-2011, 07:03 AM)tuanming Wrote: 3.8GHz on a Q9650 is effortless and not to mention is has a higher multiplier than a Q9550, so 4+GHz is within reach unless you have one crappy motherboard. Also, heat is not an issue with these Q9xxx series because they're using 45nm. When it comes to pcsx2 it's just a few hundred megahertz apart to match a Sandy Bridge CPU. I will continue to use my Core 2 Quad system until Haswell is released simply because the Q9xxx performance doesn't disappoint me.

:s to get 4ghz I would need better ram that can handle higher timings
ddr3 mobo yo
If you have a decent or quality DDR2-800 ram then you don't need to worry about it. If you want DDR3 then there's an DDR3 motherboard made for the 775 socket, the Asus P5Q3 Deluxe Wink
(12-06-2011, 01:16 AM)thatwasonce Wrote: Need 5ghz to play skyrim and stream it 1080p
also i am on a cosair h60, I was never limited by temps
I am limited by stock voltage

I7 920 @ 3.4ghz plays skyrim fine Smile don't pay attention to the tards on the tes forum, according to them all your problems are because your save file is huge and shadows aren't rendered on the gpu.

I laugh at the idiocy of these people Tongue2

[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!