Upgrading your hardware made easy and cheap!
It seems that every other post I read goes along the lines of "Hey, I can't afford a new computer so is there any way I can make PCSX2 run on my {laptop, old desktop, typewriter, abacus}" But you can afford a new computer, if you shop like a pro and own a couple of screwdrivers. I think it would be worthwhile to point people in the right direction for the most performance at the lowest cost. Maybe you don't agree with my hardware choices, but I've built a computer or two in my day and they seem to get the job done for me.

Anyway, without further ado, here is how to build a decent rig from the ground up for ~500 bucks. If you just need to replace some parts in your old computer, even better.

1. CPU & Mobo: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE & Asus M5A78L-M LX: $160

Buying a CPU/Mobo combo is a good way to save a chunk of cash. No one likes AMD these days, but I maintain the Phenom II line is still absolutely competitive, and dirt cheap as well. I have great speed in PCSX2 as well as general gaming and my current processor is actually slightly worse than the one I'm suggesting here.

The mobo is just a suggestion, there are many mobos that would be fine. I just like ASUS because I own a lot of ASUS things. If you like Gigabyte or whatever, just buy whatever relevant offering they have.

I've actually found the best deals on Ebay, so look around there. You can also buy these parts separately, and if you're not comfortable overclocking skip the BE and save some $$.

2. GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7770: $130

Once again, I feel that AMD offers far more for someone on a budget. I'm by no means an AMD fanboy, my roommate just got a GTX 560, and that is an awesome piece of hardware if you're in the market for it. You don't really need much in the way of GPU power for PCSX2, but this card is still dirt cheap and you can play modern PC games as well.

There are various iterations of this model made my various manufacturers with various arbitrary differences, just choose one that you like.

Alternate: Radeon HD 6570: $60

This is one of the many cheaper Radeon alternatives. The 6xxx Radeon series is still pretty decent. It will handle PCSX2 easily, and should be fine with most modern PC games, although not on High/Ultra settings. I actually got my GPU (6870)out-of-box on Newegg, so also look around for those kinds of deals because they give HUGE savings.

More alternates!

GeForce GT 240 (GDDR5): $40-50

Rezard suggested this, and actually not mentioning it was a pretty huge oversight on my part. The older nvidia cards are still amazingly competitive and their prices have become extremely reasonable. Definitely worth a look.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814130723
http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=20

If you can snag a 1GB model, definitely spend the extra 10 bucks and you'll be in good shape for basically anything.

3. PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W: $70

Honestly you could get away with spending less on a PSU, but I feel that it's a poor idea to skimp here. The PSU is the backbone of your system, and if it goes it might take the rest of your machine with it. 600W gives you some breathing room for extra components, and OCZ is a solid brand. At any rate, I've used a few OCZ power supplies and they've never exploded on me!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817341017

4. CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus: $30

Cheap, effective, reliable brand. Here's the newegg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6835103065

5. RAM: G.Skill 4GB: $25

Really depends on your needs, but for most people there's no compelling reason to have more than 4GB of RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820231253

6. HDD: Various refurbished drives on Newegg and elsewhere: 30$

You probably have a hard drive, but if you don't for some reason (??) you can pick one up for nothing on Newegg. If you want speed and don't need storage, you can also opt for a small SSD which will run you up about 50$

7. Case: Whatever: 30$

Seriously, just buy a big case with lots of space for fans, look on Newegg, dont spend more than 30 bucks. Get something that you think looks nice!

8. Fans: Whatever: 20-30$

Just buy some fans, I have ludicrously large case fans, I think they were like 20 bucks. Think before you mount them, try to get the best airflow. Get the ones with LEDs if you want to be awesome!

Total: $505

So there you have it. Assuming you own literally 0 computer parts, which seems unlikely, you can build a respectable desktop for 505 dollars and stop trying to make PCSX2 run on your toaster or whatever. Hopefully this is helpful to someone, somewhere. If it is, I can update it periodically as new hardware becomes relevant. If anyone has any suggestions / scathing criticism of my choices, definitely speak up.

Edit: formatting for better readability, added another GPU
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 960T Black Edition @ 4.00 Ghz
RAM: 4GB (2X2GB) DDR3
GPU: Radeon HD 6870 (2GB)

I also have a lot of fun LEDs in my case, which help me look like a pro l33t gamer, and also function as nightlights because I'm mortally afraid of the dark.

Sponsored links

Nice saving guide!!! Laugh

Quote:Get the ones with LEDs if you want to be awesome!

How??? Rolleyes
You are delusional about those prices
965 = ~120 Euro = ~150$ (no board) and its almost impossible to find now
next best thing is CPU AM3+ AMD FX-6100, 3.30GHz/14MB BOX Black Edition 32nm 135 Euro
7770 = 140 Euro = ~ 170$
etc etc
(05-11-2012, 03:32 PM)IcemanSR Wrote: You are delusional about those prices
965 = ~110 Euro = ~140$
7770 = 140 Euro = ~ 180$
etc etc

Orly?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AMD-Phenom-I...19d09ffd02

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814102967

Edit: Didn't see your post Kohaku, thanks! And here Smile http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6835103060

I buy these like a kid at a candy store. My case lights up like a Christmas tree and probably accelerates global warming.

I also have a lot of fun LEDs in my case, which help me look like a pro l33t gamer, and also function as nightlights because I'm mortally afraid of the dark.
I would never give a penny for such ebay buys

Where is warranty on neweg?
all i see is 1-year extended warranty $14.99. (more options) read warranty details
and you need 3 years
$134.99+14.99=149.98 /= 130$ (your price)
thats at starts higher price then you Wrote + only 1 year warranty?
(05-11-2012, 03:39 PM)IcemanSR Wrote: I would never give a penny for such ebay buys
Where is warranty on neweg?
all i see is 1-year extended warranty $14.99. (more options) read warranty details
and you need 3 years

So first your argument was "Oh, you're delusional, those prices don't exist," but failing that it's now "Oh, where are all my warranty options you never promised." First, there's a three year manufacturer warranty on the eBay parts so I'm not really sure what your problem is. I like eBay, I'm sorry you don't? The purpose of this post is how to build a solid computer on a tight budget, not how to shop at IcemanSR approved retailers and purchase IcemanSR approved warranty plans.

Edit: Also that card is $120 after rebate, please read before you post indiscriminate nonsense.

you are delusional
but be it your way go buy and be happy ,untill it dies.and you have to cry for warranty

No Costly Repairs No Hassle Claim Easy Replacement
3 Year Replacement Extended Service Plan

No Costly Repairs
No Hassle Claim
Easy Replacement

$26.99

Featured Product plus Selected: $161.98
Guys!!!

Get along, there's no point arguing and flaming each other
(05-11-2012, 03:48 PM)IcemanSR Wrote: you are delusional
but be it your way go buy and be happy ,untill it dies.and you have to cry for warranty

No Costly Repairs No Hassle Claim Easy Replacement
3 Year Replacement Extended Service Plan

No Costly Repairs
No Hassle Claim
Easy Replacement

$26.99

Featured Product plus Selected: $161.98

Yes, if you want to buy an extra 3 year warranty on top of the 3 year manufacturer warranty, for a total of 6 years, you will have to spend 30 more dollars. This invalidates my goal of helping people to shop for cheap and effective computer parts. I stand broken and defeated.

(05-11-2012, 03:52 PM)kohaku2421 Wrote: Guys!!!

Get along, there's no point arguing and flaming each other

Haha sorry, I'm not trying to flame. I shouldn't be so sarcastic. I spent a lot of time writing that post, so I guess I'm mildly defensive. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. All of these parts are just suggestions, I'm certainly not holding a gun to anyone's head and saying "Build this computer as specified!" Just meant to be a starting point for people looking to upgrade but constrained by budget and not sure where to start. Hopefully it helps someone, somewhere in the world!

Anyway, I'm adding this card as option so we can all table this argument, because it's not like you need all to much out of a GPU for PCSX2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814102934

Radeon 6570, $77 with a three year warranty. There are a billion variants of various Radeons, this is a solid buy and will also handle most modern games. Everyone should do their own research and draw their own conclusions before buying any hardware ofc.

Edit: grammar hard