VM version memory allocation errors
Can't believe no one has put this in here. I posted this on NGEMU but as these are the official forums I figured this would be the best place.

The newer PCSX2 revisions will almost never start up, at least for me. I get the error message in console 'Memory Error > Cannot reserve 64k memory block at 0x74ff0000...and I get the standard 'cannot allocate memory, launch the TLB version?' message. I've tested revisions 485 and below and they are starting up fine (most of the time). Although I have gotten this error randomly since version 0.9.4, it seems to have gotten much worse recently, and not even resetting the computer fixes the problem. I'd like to know what exactly is wrong, why PCSX2 is giving me these errors, and how exactly I can fix it. If it can't be fixed, I implore someone to find the problem and correct it, as it's really annoying to have a program as great as PCSX2 and not be able to even open it. My specs are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0 GHz
4 GB G.Skill DDR2 RAM
GeForce 9800 GX2
XFX nForce 780i SLI
Windows Vista x64 Ultimate

Sponsored links

Memory allocation error of a VM version have a direct meaning: some evil program like to use pcsx2 virtual address space at 0x7something. There is 2 main kind of this prog's: viruses and antiviruses (and second one is more dumbest). And Vista is known sometimes to limit VM address space of non-root users to 1 GB. Make note, that virtual address space have no direct link to physical one -- it's translated into by OS-kernel libraries and each "normal" program has it's own virtual address space.

So 1) try to run pcsx2 under administrator, 2) turn off all antiviruses and other demons (keyboard switchers, AIMs and all of this junk).
I am the root user...and no matter how many programs I close the error still persists. I don't understand why PCSX2 can't just allocate another section of memory.
Use testlimit -r in console. And see limits. http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich...55406.aspx
It's the plugins causing it.
The problem is that it's more "correct" for me to load the plugins before initializing the CPU state but it leaves that particular address range free to be occupied by a plugin DLL. In older versions of Pcx2 the plugins were initialized after the CPU state, and this caused problems and limited the amount of stuff I could do regarding automatic state recovery, solving memory leaks, and other User Interface features and maintenance.

This is one of the reasons we're really trying to get ourselves away from the VM build. It's just so unpredictable and generally difficult to work with. Everytime we expand on emulator or UI feature sets, the VM build barfs at us. Sad [edit: mostly under Vista only mind you -- I've almost never had a single problem using VM builds on XP, but people on Vista have problems and odd behavior constantly]
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Did you try starting the VM version as soon as Vista boots?
Increasing the size of the pagefile seems to have helped a small bit. The problem hasn't gone away, but at least it's starting up now.
New errors. In revisions 554 and below I don't get this error, so I think it has something to do with 555 but I get this error in the console: 'Failed to alloc vu0mem 0x11000000 487 and then the emulator instantly closes, no error message pops up. If i screw around with a bunch of settings in older revisions it starts up (sometimes), but once I'm in any game, trying to save state crashes the emulator.

Someone please help me these errors are driving me insane ><

EDIT: Actually never mind, I get the vu0 mem errors in other revisions too. And other strange bugs. I think they all have to do with the memory allocation.
I've been getting this in SVN-528. A mod locked my thread dismissing it as having nothing to do with revisions. Clearly it does since i've NEVER ever gotten this error with the 395 release, and with SVN it happens everytime. Tried admin, and i have 8 gigs of mem so it's not that.

has something to do with the changes that Air was talking about:

(01-07-2009, 12:44 AM)Air Wrote: It's the plugins causing it.
The problem is that it's more "correct" for me to load the plugins before initializing the CPU state but it leaves that particular address range free to be occupied by a plugin DLL. In older versions of Pcx2 the plugins were initialized after the CPU state, and this caused problems and limited the amount of stuff I could do regarding automatic state recovery, solving memory leaks, and other User Interface features and maintenance.

This is one of the reasons we're really trying to get ourselves away from the VM build. It's just so unpredictable and generally difficult to work with. Everytime we expand on emulator or UI feature sets, the VM build barfs at us. Sad [edit: mostly under Vista only mind you -- I've almost never had a single problem using VM builds on XP, but people on Vista have problems and odd behavior constantly]

So, does this mean vista users are F*cked? Or are the devs getting rid of the VM version? It's my understanding that the VM version runs faster.
Rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K (4.6GHz) + Swiftech H240-X Liquid Cooler
Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X
RAM: 32GB 2400MHz G.Skill TridentX
Monitor: QNIX 27" 1440p @ 96Hz
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70
Mouse: Logitech G700
Storage: 128GB SSD (Samsung 830) | 2TB Raid0 | 1.5TB
Gamepad: Sony Dualshock 4 + Asus BT211
(01-07-2009, 07:07 PM)Star Wrote: So, does this mean vista users are F*cked? Or are the devs getting rid of the VM version? It's my understanding that the VM version runs faster.

Correct, correct, and correct.
Yup, you've pretty well got it all covered right there.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team