Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria - Strange FPS drop at start of battles
Intel i5-3570K @ 3.40
GTX 670
PCSX2 1.2.1
Running the game at 4x scaling
HW Hacks: Alpha Hack + nVidia Hack

Hi guys, any help with this would be appreciated.

Here's the issue: Whenever I begin a battle with an enemy, at the start of the fight, when one of my characters is talking, the FPS will suddenly drop and the character will sound like they're drunk. This continues for about a second before rapidly speeding up again and resuming normal speed. From this point onward, the battle runs at 60FPS, with no drops even during the flashy Soul Crush sequences.

This also occurs when I'm browsing through the menus. For example, when clicking on the Equip or Skills menu, the exact same stutter will occur which sounds as though the sound effect is being "dragged out" for about a second before speeding up. Other times, I can browse through the menus without this problem. It just seems to pop up annoyingly. >_<

This doesn't occur with any of the other PS2 games in my library, so it seems to be a VP2 thing. Has anyone experienced this and can fix it?

Sponsored links

what are the EE and GS values during slowdowns ? also, post a screenshot of your GSDX plugin settings and speedhacks section settings. Thanks Smile
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Hi ssakash,

During one of the FPS drops at the start of a battle, the EE shot up to the 60s and high 70s before going back down to the mid 50s after the slowdown had finished.

During the slowdown that sometimes occurs when clicking on the Equip or Skills menu, the EE spikes to the 40s from the low 20s.

The GS values are usually around 20% and go up to around 30% during the slowdown.

I've noticed that whenever there's a slowdown, the EE has shot up.

[Image: pcsx2_GSDX.png]

[Image: pcsx2_Core_Settings_Speedhacks.png]
hmm, this isn't right. usually the EE and GS values go down while, experiencing slowdowns. Try disabling MTVU and try again. (it might break some games) also, just in case drop the internal resolution to something like 3X native. just for reference, could you give the development builds a try.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(03-15-2015, 01:57 AM)ssakash Wrote: hmm, this isn't right. usually the EE and GS values go down while, experiencing slowdowns.

Uh, no. That is totally not how it is. It's exactly the opposite.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(03-15-2015, 02:01 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Uh, no. That is totally not how it is. It's exactly the opposite.
That's in the case of weaker hardware , the OP has an formidable I5, it shouldn't experience slow downs during the menu.

(03-15-2015, 02:06 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: You just made a blanket statement though.
Explaining each and everything is a drag Tongue2
- Refraction
You just made a blanket statement though.

Sometimes allow 8 bit textures on/off will help in case like this.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Toggle 8 bit textures OP it fixes problems with menu slowdown a lot of times. Also try dropping IR.
I tried it with MTVU off, the slowdowns are still there. I'll turn on 8bit textures and see if it helps.
you have lesser pc then me and on my end on 3x i pretty much have 60fps 99% time, unless u have speedstep enabled and the cpu clock is drop in such isntance, or your gpu clock is droping in said isntances.

in which case turn off speedstep and make sure there profile for pcsx2 that is set to max performance and not adaptive.

All though that slow down at begin of the fight is normal it probably same issue that cause fps drops in FFX upon cutscene/2d/3d transitions. which i think was pcsx2 core issue with the EE/VU or somthing not being able to process stuff fast enough.