Very Strange In-Game Problem with SHADOW OF ROME
I was very happy to discover I can now play Shadow of Rome on PCSX2 in high definition widescreen. I've played it as a modded PS2 classic on my PS3 but the image is very low res and not the best. It looks great on PCSX2 ...

But ... I'm having the strangest problem. I'll be playing the first level, when you're in an arena fighting a bunch of different gladiators, and all of a sudden my health will suddenly drop down to almost nothing, for no reason, and I'll get hit one time and die on the spot. This has happened several times and it does NOT happen with the very SAME backed up ISO when I use it on my PS3 ... Also, if you eat food in the game, it is supposed to restore some of your health ... but it doesn't when I play it on the PCSX2!

The only thing I can think that is different between the emulation on my PC and the emulation on the PS3 that could be causing this issue (besides the fact that I'm playing it in widescreen and HD) is that PCSX2 allows you to save at any time, and I AM loading off a one of those saves ... Could the game see this as a "cheat" in some way and be punishing me accordingly? Is that possible?

Sponsored links

(02-13-2014, 12:17 PM)haints Wrote: I was very happy to discover I can now play Shadow of Rome on PCSX2 in high definition widescreen. I've played it as a modded PS2 classic on my PS3 but the image is very low res and not the best. It looks great on PCSX2 ...

But ... I'm having the strangest problem. I'll be playing the first level, when you're in an arena fighting a bunch of different gladiators, and all of a sudden my health will suddenly drop down to almost nothing, for no reason, and I'll get hit one time and die on the spot. This has happened several times and it does NOT happen with the very SAME backed up ISO when I use it on my PS3 ... Also, if you eat food in the game, it is supposed to restore some of your health ... but it doesn't when I play it on the PCSX2!

The only thing I can think that is different between the emulation on my PC and the emulation on the PS3 that could be causing this issue (besides the fact that I'm playing it in widescreen and HD) is that PCSX2 allows you to save at any time, and I AM loading off a one of those saves ... Could the game see this as a "cheat" in some way and be punishing me accordingly? Is that possible?

I wouldn't think it's a cheat since the entire game state is dumped and restored, so unless the game has breakpoints to detect something like that (which would be a countermeasure way ahead of its time for PS2 titles) it's not the case. Maybe you're using some sort of cheat that backfire? Or if your widescreen is a hack, it could be the cause of this glitch.
Thanks for responding, Coornio!

I tested it and it is definitely the save state, not the widescreen mod. I played without the save state and everything was normal. Load the save state and my health soon drops to zero. I also noticed that my health bar itself is different in the save state--the end of the graphic is slightly cut off ...

I'm hoping that the save state is just corrupt somehow. I will try to create another and see if the same thing happens.
(02-13-2014, 08:36 PM)haints Wrote: Thanks for responding, Coornio!

I tested it and it is definitely the save state, not the widescreen mod. I played without the save state and everything was normal. Load the save state and my health soon drops to zero. I also noticed that my health bar itself is different in the save state--the end of the graphic is slightly cut off ...

I'm hoping that the save state is just corrupt somehow. I will try to create another and see if the same thing happens.

Save your game using the ingame saves, only use savestates in between or when you really have to.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
(02-13-2014, 09:36 PM)Donovan24 Wrote: Save your game using the ingame saves, only use savestates in between or when you really have to.

I'll try to, but the problem with that is that checkpoints in this game are few and far between. I got killed and had to start way, way back from where I was. Save states really help with that.

I created a new save state and I'm still testing it but my health bar appears normal so far ...