Very low CPU usage, yet poor performance
I'm running on PCSX2 0.9.7, and using an AMD Athlon II X3 processor @ 3.00 Ghz.

I was trying to run Shadow of the Colossus (yes, I'm aware that that's a very intensive game), but I was getting less than 5 FPS. However, what I found interesting was despite the extremely low FPS, and choppy performance, none of my CPU cores were running at any more than 5% CPU usage.

Does anyone have an idea as to what might be causing this? I'm pretty sure I should be able to run the game at a faster speed than that, and I think the low CPU usage is a major hint to the problem.

I'll provide my current PCSX2 configuration if it's needed.

Sponsored links

it must be a problem of 1)your pcsx2 settings 2) and most likely a problem in your pc. other games in pcsx2 work ok? pc games work ok?
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
Just tried Kingdom Hearts II. The title screen was running at about 8 FPS, with around 10% CPU usage...

As for other PC games, they all run fine, but I don't really have any games installed right now that are CPU intensive. So it's hard to really test it without going off and downloading some stuff. (Just reinstalled Windows like a week ago)
maybe there is a problem with your gpu or the drivers of your gpu (like it cant be used for some reason so there is no need to use your cpu if the gpu cant make it), really strange thing...
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
I'll try reinstalling the GPU drivers or something, and see if that changes anything. Also, how extreme of a difference will a graphics card make in terms of performance? The one I'm using right now really isn't that great (NVidia GeForce FX 5200), but would that really have such a dramatic impact on how the games run?
OMG ok i though you would have a gpu similar in performance to your cpu. that is very old and thats the reason for the low fps. go buy a new one Tongue
(06-01-2010, 10:43 PM)AndrewFM Wrote: The one I'm using right now really isn't that great (NVidia GeForce FX 5200), but would that really have such a dramatic impact on how the games run?

That card? Definitely.

I think you would be better off for now using GSdx with the D3D9 (Software) renderer and setting SW threads to 2, at least until you get a better card anyway.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Heh, alright. That's the one thing I haven't gotten around to upgrading yet. Guess that'll be on my list of things to order this week. Wink
Sorry for the double post but...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814130435

Good card to use?
that should work fine