Very slow graphics on ATI Radeon card
Why do you call them crappy? Show some arguments reinforcing this opinion.

Sponsored links

Mesa is more accurate but waaaaay slower than Catalyst. Catalyst has more muscle but less accurate and more prone to seg fauls with bad updates. Either way, Nvidia proprietary drivers on Linux (for pcsx2) truly give you the best of both worlds...power and accuracy. This is coming from someone (myself) who used to exclusively use AMD.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(09-23-2015, 04:02 AM)DaTankAC Wrote: Mesa is more accurate but waaaaay slower than Catalyst.  

Catalyst has more muscle but less accurate and more prone to seg fauls with bad updates.

Either way, Nvidia proprietary drivers on Linux (for pcsx2) truly give you the best of both worlds...power and accuracy.  

This is coming from someone (myself) who used to exclusively use AMD.

Yes this is correct pcsx2 needs cpu power (4 cores with lower ipc and frecuency dont help)

Tekken 5 - Nvidia Drivers 352.09

Distro: Linux Mint 17 64bits
Desktop: XFCE
Kernel: 3.18.0-31-generic
CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.000Mhz Haswell 22nm
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 630 2048mb
Driver: Nvidia 352.09
PCSX2 Version: 04-06-2015
Settings: Appears in video
Speed: Appears in video*

*However when stay recording loss around 10% of cpu when stay recording at 30fps and around 20% when stay recording at 60fps

Tekken 5 - Nvidia Drivers 355.00.05

Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Raffaela 64bits
Desktop: XFCE
Kernel: 4.00.0-40000-generic
CPU: INTEL Pentium G3258 (Haswell 22nm) at 4.1Ghz + Artic Cooling Alpine 11 Plus
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 630 2048mb
Driver: Nvidia 355.00.05
PCSX2 Version: 10-08-2015
Settings: Appears in video
Speed: Appears in video*

*However when stay recording loss around 8% of cpu when stay recording at 30fps and around 16-18% when stay recording at 60fps

Smile
Linux Mint 17.2 XFCE Edition 64Bit - Kernel 4.00
CPU: INTEL Pentium G3258 (Haswell 22nm) at 4.1Ghz + Artic Cooling Alpine 11 Plus
MEM: 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x2) patriot value (21/8 Gb/s)

GPU: Zotac NVIDIA Geforce GT630 (GK208 28nm: 384 Shaders / 8 ROPS) Passive Cooling 2GB DDR3 64Bit (14.4 Gb/s)
BOARD: MSI H81M E33
(09-23-2015, 02:43 AM)pcsx23leech Wrote: Why do you call them crappy? Show some arguments reinforcing this opinion.

Feel free to search on google

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Alien-Isolation-Bench-Friendly

It is a game dev with AMD collaboration. Feral didn't manage to port it correctly on openGL (I'm sure they have an AMD engineer in house...).

Mesa is much better (stability wise). And you can post some patches to fix bad behavior. However Mesa is a young driver that catches the missing gl feature. Therefore speed optimization isn't done yet. (again good news, it can be benchmarked).

As a side note, the killer feature of Nvidia is a multi-thread aware driver. It greatly reduces the driver overhead (and uses an extra useless core).
Well, Michael Larabel from Phoronix is a very special case. Beside that, AMD released a new Catalyst driver just last week.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/de...=Linux+x86
Name of the news editor isn't important. Several Linux games were release with "Can't run with Catalyst driver". Some games were even part of the AMD game experience (don't remember the marketing name).

Sure they still release driver with a new bug fixes (and also new regressions). Honestly it is already a miracle that you can run PCSX2 with catalyst without a crash. I did the initial port of GSdx on an HD5770/catalyst. It was a very painful experience. I broke my bank account for a GTX 760 and never look back (it is killing me to use the proprietary driver).
Off topic(sorry! But I couldn't resist):

The 760 broke your bank account? Not the 5960x? Tongue2
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(09-24-2015, 11:12 AM)gregory Wrote: "Can't run with Catalyst driver".

Maybe some games were released with this information, but I can’t imagine any game actually not running. It’s also about how game developers implement OpenGL, which is often poor. It’s not a good solution to create special profiles for those games by the GPU manufactures optimizing the stack.
Anyway, the current Catalyst driver could be optimized for GNU/Linux. Maybe Vulkan will finally fix this issue.
(09-25-2015, 08:50 AM)pcsx23leech Wrote: Maybe some games were released with this information, but I can’t imagine any game actually not running. It’s also about how game developers implement OpenGL, which is often poor. It’s not a good solution to create special profiles for those games by the GPU manufactures optimizing the stack.
Anyway, the current Catalyst driver could be optimized for GNU/Linux. Maybe Vulkan will finally fix this issue.

Sure you can't imagine it. Yet again most of Feral game ports don't run on Catalyst... I'm sure they did on purpose. The linux gamer market is so huge that they can sell it to a fraction of it...

Quote:It’s also about how game developers implement OpenGL, which is often poor.
Seriously, try to do some OpenGL coding. If the code is fast on Nvidia, how can it be slow on AMD. Not 10/20% but 50/80% slower! The game is the same you know for both driver. You can check GSdx code. There isn't any specific optimization for Nvidia ! Actually I did only special code for AMD to avoid bug and to reduce slow down....
Reality is that AMD doesn't have any money to pay any engineer to work on the GL implementation. OpenGL market is 1% of Dx market. So they have 1 OpenGL dev for 100 DX devs.

Vulkan will move half of the current driver to the application layer. So yes game developers will fix the issue.
(09-24-2015, 11:14 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Off topic(sorry! But I couldn't resist):

The 760 broke your bank account? Not the 5960x? Tongue2

For the 5960X I robed the bank Tongue2

Actually I consider the cost based on the time I will keep the HW. I really wanted to keep my HD5770 for a longer time (previous GPU was a geforce4), I was sure that free driver will be ready when the card become unsupported. Unfortunately I didn't get that OpenGL will never be really supported... So sadly (related to free driver), I bought an nvidia card.