Poll: XP or Vista?
Hell yeah! Vista baby!
Keep it real, XP!
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Vista vs XP
Another great debate, which do you prefer!?

I am a vista fan, and heres my argument.

Vista is a better operating system as a whole, say what you want about bugs ect ect or windows aero slowing you down.

Firstly, UI is very user friendly, it had auto defrag, and indexing, making searching faster and keeping the hard drive neat for those who don't know what they are doing, indexing is very handy for anyone who handles many office files, a student for instance, and can just search and get his results almost instantly.

The windows aero features are also very nice, for one of my inlaws, who does coding for large companys, finds it very usefull, as he has many applications open at once, and i'm sure many other people enjoy it too. Also for normal home users, the windows sidebar, if somewhat annoying is an easy way for people to keep upto date. As well as an improved speech Reognition, for disabled persons its a revoloution, the SR on xp isnt fantastic, and the technology has improved greatly. Even I use it, to open what i want when i start my computer, its not perfect, but usefull.

A feature I find to be the best as of yet, is the way it readys up your most used programs, which helps the startup time from when explorer starts alot, opening my anti vrus, xfire, steam, MSN, deamon tools as well as my controll panels (CCC, sound center ect ect) in less than a few seconds is most impresive.

One of the biggest areguments is weather DX10 is better than DX9C.

At first i didn't belive it, because most games wernt using DX10 how it should be used, but you can seriously see the difference with PCSX2, and now more and more games are coming out with the ability to utilize it.

Don't get me wrong tho, i had my fair share of problems with vista too, i had a driver problem with wireless reciver, the drives wasnt fantastic. But given time everything gets a fix, and everything gets better.
Piracy and Being a vegetarian that eats Quorn are alike.

Your in denial, and want the real thing, not matter what you think.

CPU:E8500 MB:Asus P5Q-E RAM: 3Gigs of Corsair domination 5-5-5-15 GfxCard:ATI Radion HD 4870 OC'd @775Mhz GPU, 1000Mhz GDDR5 Ram

Sponsored links

I hate Vista, not even DX10 can persuade me to use it. I tried PCSX2 on Vista GSdx10 and while it was slightly faster, it also introduces some minor but still noticable glitches.
So what's wrong with Vista?
  • While indexing helps the messy ones, it also encourages a chaotic file structure.
  • Browsing for files is a pain in the ass with the new dialogs.
  • The new start menu forces me to scroll through a list of applications instead of expanding over the screen. You can change to classic but not to XP, that's seriously messed up.
The list could be much longer if I bothered, but to put it simple: I don't like the eye-candy, I don't like the "simplicity" that is in fact more complicated than it was before, I don't like that the new Windows Mixer forces me to have stereo sound unless ASIO or some other direct access method is used, ...
I just hope they do a better job with 7.
I really like Vista and I for one really like the UaC (probably the only one). It feels just right that I am not logged as adminstrator and have to decide if a process can be executed. But I like it very much that way. In the past I used Linux a lot but because of Games I always had to boot to XP and now I only use Vista.
Compability with most applications is fine and only programs with unsigned drivers are problematic but there are few so no real problem for me. I even can get most of my old Games to run on Vista and if not the web is full of help about it Smile.

DX10 wasn't an improvement for me until I started to use PCSX2 and there I think it helps a lot. I really like my system as it is now. It doesn't feel slow after some time like on XP in the past and my Vista already runs since SP1 came out. The first Windows I am really content with Cool.
My main issue with Vista was DRM & performance ... I realized that the DRM thing was *****, and anyway they improved performance with Win7.

@morpha
morpha Wrote:I hate Vista, not even DX10 can persuade me to use it
yeah, DX10 is just a plus, not something unavoidable.
I bought a 8800 GT and I'm happy to be able to use DX10 sometimes.
But if I was using XP , I wouldn't be missing DX10.

morpha Wrote:While indexing helps the messy ones, it also encourages a chaotic file structure.
I don't see how. Anyway I've disabled indexing. I have too much files in my hard drive, and indexing too much things just kill performance.
And I don't see a big difference when indexing is off. The only difference is for me the nagging message "indexing is off, bla bla...".

morpha Wrote:Browsing for files is a pain in the ass with the new dialogs.
Just use the bookmark "navigation pane" at the left !
You can put a bookmark for any folder (drag & drop folder to bookmark)
I get used to the "breadcumb" thing, but getting to "parent folder" is not always convenient.

morpha Wrote:The new start menu forces me to scroll through a list of applications instead of expanding over the screen.
I just increased the number of recently used applications in start menu.
Usually I scroll nothing , because the application I use are most of the time in the recent list.
And it doesn't hurt sometimes to type in search box name of the application you don't find.

morpha Wrote:I don't like the eye-candy,
How easy, it is to change the default theme.
I like aero, but sometimes I find it too much distracting.
I use then sometimes themes made by PsychoB at deviantart. In fact, many themes made by Psychob are a port of famous XP themes.

morpha Wrote:Windows Mixer forces me to have stereo sound
Might be the fault of your soundcard that doesn't fully support Vista.
Anyway, I'm only interested by stereo.

morpha Wrote:I just hope they do a better job with 7.
I guess most of your complain will remain with win7.
(12-28-2008, 10:06 PM)bigmehdi Wrote:
Anyway, I'm only interested by stereo.

oh yeah that is a disadvantage on Vista as the driver for my X-Fi Music is not as well as it was on XP. And for me this is important as I like the sound of my 5.1 system Sad.
But honestly it works and actually I didn't update for months maybe better drivers already available. Besides PCSX2 (most crucial on PC, everything else on PS3) doesn't support 5.1 anyway...
Really you can find these threads on every forum... Could we soon stop these useless gallup polls?
[Image: FireFlower.jpg]
[Image: 463094.png]
morpha Wrote:While indexing helps the messy ones, it also encourages a chaotic file structure.
I don't see how. Anyway I've disabled indexing. I have too much files in my hard drive, and indexing too much things just kill performance.
And I don't see a big difference when indexing is off. The only difference is for me the nagging message "indexing is off, bla bla...".
Well if all your stuff is indexed, the search is so fast you don't even need to organize your files because all you have to do is type parts of the filename. For me searching is an active process, I want to initiate a search myself pressing F3 or CTRL + F, I don't want a searchbar for everything. I know where my files are, I don't need Vista to find them for me and therefor all the searchboxes do is take away some space.

morpha Wrote:Browsing for files is a pain in the ass with the new dialogs.
Just use the bookmark "navigation pane" at the left !
You can put a bookmark for any folder (drag & drop folder to bookmark)
I get used to the "breadcumb" thing, but getting to "parent folder" is not always convenient.
Explorer's tree structure and the good old "Up", what the heck was wrong with that? Perfectly simple and easy concept, was perfect the way it was. Glare

morpha Wrote:I don't like the eye-candy,
How easy, it is to change the default theme.
I like aero, but sometimes I find it too much distracting.
I use then sometimes themes made by PsychoB at deviantart. In fact, many themes made by Psychob are a port of famous XP themes.
I do use the "classic" theme, was more of a general rant, not even limited to Vista but also MacOS X and most modern consumer-oriented Linux distributions. I like my themes simple and practical.

See bottom of my post.

morpha Wrote:I just hope they do a better job with 7.
I guess most of your complain will remain with win7.
Well, I hope not.

(12-28-2008, 10:36 PM)Jlagreen Wrote: But honestly it works and actually I didn't update for months maybe better drivers already available. Besides PCSX2 (most crucial on PC, everything else on PS3) doesn't support 5.1 anyway...

Drivers wont change a thing because the problem is the KMixer itself. The only way around its limitations is not using it, ie directly accessing the soundcard. There is an ASIO-Plugin for Winamp that works fine with Creative ASIO drivers and for (some) games not using OpenAL, there is Alchemy. Having to use workarounds clearly is a step backward and one of the worst changes introduced with Vista.
@morpha
morpha Wrote:Well if all your stuff is indexed, the search is so fast you don't even need to organize your files because all you have to do is type parts of the filename.

Well , not according to Microsoft. Here's what I'm reading in the help:
Quote:Can I index my entire computer so all searches are fast?
You shouldn't. If you make the index too large, or if you include system file locations like the folder called Program Files, your routine searches will slow down because the index will not perform well. For best results, we recommend that you only add folders to the index that contain your personal files.

morpha Wrote:I do use the "classic" theme, was more of a general rant, not even limited to Vista but also MacOS X and most modern consumer-oriented Linux distributions. I like my themes simple and practical.
Yes I like sometimes simple theme. But I find the classic theme of Vista Ugly, I mean even more Ugly than the classic theme of Xp, hence the themes from PsychoB are a better alternative.

morpha Wrote:Drivers wont change a thing because the problem is the KMixer itself.
Well, from what I've heard, the latest creative sound card "Titanium", is fully compatible with Vista.
XP for me. Runs better, less ram is used by the OS as a whole and more stuff supports it.
Old habits die hard - System Shock
I prefer XP.Is much better for my line of work,Vista have many ```security improvements´´ that make my work harder,if you know of what I'm talking about.