Vram Question
This may sound stupid but if a pcsx2 coder wanted to, could it be possible that they could make it so that if your gpu is running out of vram, that one could use a thumbdrive in the usb to emulate more 'virtual' vram through the emulator?
Model: Clevo P570WM Laptop
GPU: GeForce GTX 980M ~8GB GDDR5
CPU: Intel Core i7-4960X CPU +4.2GHz (12 CPUs)
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3L 1600MHz, 4x8gb

Sponsored links

(06-06-2013, 01:12 AM)shinra358 Wrote: This may sound stupid but if a pcsx2 coder wanted to, could it be possible that they could make it so that if your gpu is running out of vram, that one could use a thumbdrive in the usb to emulate more 'virtual' vram through the emulator?

That doesn't even sound like it would work Tongue
CPU: Core i7 3610QM 2.30GHz (Turbo up to 3.10GHz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670m 3gb
RAM: 16gb ddr3
[Image: images.jpg]
(06-06-2013, 01:12 AM)shinra358 Wrote: This may sound stupid but if a pcsx2 coder wanted to, could it be possible that they could make it so that if your gpu is running out of vram, that one could use a thumbdrive in the usb to emulate more 'virtual' vram through the emulator?

VRAM is independent on the system memory to start with (at least yet, hUMA is the fist step integrating them).

Besides, to be out of memory only if the upscale is too much and should be reduced... even if possible that transference of VRAM content to the system memory or (heavens forbid, the disk and worsen yet, USB devices) this would be so harmful to performance that would make no sense at all.
Imagination is where we are truly real
GPU's does that on their own(at least AMD ones) using some of your system memory when they ran out of vram and most igp's doesn't have much dedicated memory if any to begin with also hugging system ram for that;p, it ends up very slow through. Besides what's more important pcsx2(gsdx to be exact) doesn't really have soo huge vram requirements, unless we look at games which simply are broken and totally glitched;p. GS chip had very little memory to begin with, but really good bandwidth for it's time(comparable to fairy decent budget modern gpu's), hence speeding up stuff is not really about having more vram, it's rather about having it faster;p.
(06-06-2013, 02:20 AM)miseru99 Wrote: Besides what's more important pcsx2(gsdx to be exact) doesn't really have soo huge vram requirements, unless we look at games which simply are broken and totally glitched;p.
Yeah I had Shadow of the Colossus and FF12 few quickenings on the brain when I asked this question lol. Most of the time when slowdowns happen, I see on my gpu meter that it is maxed out when those slowdowns occur but normal ram and core power aren't really used up much at all xD
this is absolutely stupid. gpu vram has a transfer rate of some couple grand (10) GBs of memory. a usb thumb has some ~70MBs to deliver at most in practical use. don't forget you have to route the transfer over the southbridge, northbridge and the pci to get to the graphics card. this' not gonna work. at most you could use a thumb as a ram image replacing a hdd. but you need a good one and a good system to benefit from that loading alil faster. this' still barely there.

snip topic.
For FFXII you can get into hardware hacks in GSdx and select "Agressive CRC" it should help with those quickenings ~ make sure the checkbox called "Enable HW Hacks" is also checked;p.
As for SotC dunno really about it's gpu limitations, but to begin with what "gpu meter" are you talking about? GPU can be limited by alot of stuff, low clocks, bandwidth, fillrates, too little vram too, but in terms of emulation vs gpu's usual limitations it could only happen if you abused MSAA which is as well the cause of glitches, memory leaks etc. if that's the case just turn it off, it's totally NOT a safe feature.
If this AGP slot ever takes off you'll be able to do all your texturing from system memory which I guess could technically be swapped out to the HDD/SDD but only if you're a masochist.
(06-06-2013, 02:30 AM)xstyla Wrote: this is absolutely stupid. gpu vram has a transfer rate of some couple grand (10) GBs of memory. a usb thumb has some ~70MBs to deliver at most in practical use. don't forget you have to route the transfer over the southbridge, northbridge and the pci to get to the graphics card. this' not gonna work. at most you could use a thumb as a ram image replacing a hdd. but you need a good one and a good system to benefit from that loading alil faster. this' still barely there.

snip topic.

I guess you have poor parenting Tongue
You don't know how to talk to ppl better than that bro?

(06-06-2013, 03:29 AM)miseru99 Wrote: For FFXII you can get into hardware hacks in GSdx and select "Agressive CRC" it should help with those quickenings ~ make sure the checkbox called "Enable HW Hacks" is also checked;p.
As for SotC dunno really about it's gpu limitations, but to begin with what "gpu meter" are you talking about? GPU can be limited by alot of stuff, low clocks, bandwidth, fillrates, too little vram too, but in terms of emulation vs gpu's usual limitations it could only happen if you abused MSAA which is as well the cause of glitches, memory leaks etc. if that's the case just turn it off, it's totally NOT a safe feature.

Yea, I know about the ACRC already. That takes the heat haze effect off of the moves though. The only one that really runs slow for me is Basche's 3rd one and sometimes Balthier's 3rd one. But mostly I just sit through it because it's not THAT bad xD. Although when switching to software mode when the slowdown is already happening, it will cause the emulator to crash. The meter I have is the 'All CPU Meter' one and the GPU Observer by Orbmu2k. I take some things back though, it wasn't really the ram of the graphics card, it was the gpu load. At first I thought they were one in the same. I have 3gb of vram and I have a Toshiba Qosmio x875-q7290. I have MSAA off because the normal filtering options do just fine for me. I made this topic when I was searching "use ram as vram". I didn't really know how it worked but I thought I'd just ask a similar question anyway because I was curious.

Btw, thanks for everyone's feedback though.
@Miseru99: is a new option like skipdraw practical but instead of having it remove effects completely, have that option that draws the effect chosen in native rez while everything else stays in high rez?

For example: nativedraw = 1 (draws effect (1) in the game's native res) compared to skipdraw = 3 (doesn't draw effect (3)).