Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to play PS2emus, will this spec work? (newbiequestion)
Hi there. I'm a young fellow from Sweden that's interested a lot in videogames. Since my Xbox AND PS2 died on me last week, I've been having huge VG-withdrawals, thus being forced to spend time with my better half... THIS HAS TO STOP!

The thing is, I don't know if my specs are good enough. I tried many years ago with a P4 at 3.4GHz, and managed to get 25-30 FPS, but for me, it takes all the fun out of it.

The current spec I have is following (I don't know all the details)

Intel Pentium I3-550 (2.98GHz)
GeForce GT-320 (1024MB)
4GB ram.

Now, I have a lot of other ***** as well I'm not aware of. Everything's unclocked considering I'm a damn newbie and therefore don't have the guts to OC anything due to my PC being my only gamemachine.

So help me, will this work in playing all those classic J-RPGs that I've been wanting to play for so long?

Regards // Emil 'n3uro' Svensson!

Sponsored links

Depends on the game but you shouldn't have much of a problem unless you raise the resolution too much.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(04-18-2011, 05:22 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Depends on the game but you shouldn't have much of a problem unless you raise the resolution too much.

800x600 with medium settings?
It still very much depends on the game. You could post which games you want to run and we could offer our insight(If we have any). Or you could check the thread at the bottom. All the games in there should run without any speed problems since your cpu is kind of mid range for pcsx2.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-LIST-Game...=dont+need
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb
(04-18-2011, 09:48 AM)GamerGeek Wrote: It still very much depends on the game. You could post which games you want to run and we could offer our insight(If we have any). Or you could check the thread at the bottom. All the games in there should run without any speed problems since your cpu is kind of mid range for pcsx2.

Wouldn't say it's just mid-range. I'd categorize it as either low high-end or high mid-range. Before Sandy Bridge was released, Clarkdale was Top 2 in terms of performance in PCSX2.

As architectures go, going by the FFX-2 benchmark, we've got the following hierarchy based on clock for clock performance:
Sandy Bridge 4c
Gulftown, Bloomfield, Lynnfield
Clarkdale
Yorkfield, Wolfdale E8xxx, E7xxx
Deneb, Heka, Callisto, Wolfdale E6xxx, E5xxx
Propus, Rana, Regor, Wolfdale E3xxx

No results for Sandy Bridge 2c so far. I'm getting one for my dad's desktop so I should be able to test it sometime around May or June. My guess, somewhere around Lynnfield performance.

It'd be interesting to see how Bulldozer fares.

@n3uro
Can you double check your specifications? I have a feeling your CPU is either an Intel Core i3-550 3.2 GHz or Core i3-530 2.93 GHz. I don't think the Pentium i3-550 2.98 GHz exists. Your GPU is definitely low-end, though, so I wouldn't attempt high resolution/scaling. Probably best sticking to Native.
(04-18-2011, 09:48 AM)GamerGeek Wrote: It still very much depends on the game. You could post which games you want to run and we could offer our insight(If we have any). Or you could check the thread at the bottom. All the games in there should run without any speed problems since your cpu is kind of mid range for pcsx2.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-LIST-Game...=dont+need

The earlier PS2 games like games from the Persona-series, the Suikoden games (III, IV, V) the Grandia Games, Dawn of Mana.

Persona wasn't from the early PS2 life cycle... Unless you count 2006-08 as 'early'. (If you aren't aware, that's 6-8 years into the PS2's life cycle)

ilovejedd: Any CPU that's clocked only at 3ghz is considered "mid-range" for PCSX2. Mid-high would be in the 3.5-3.8ghz range and 'high' would be 4ghz+

While it's definitely a better architecture than the C2D, it's still just fast enough for 'most' games with still a good chance for random slowdowns.

[Image: 2748844.png]
(04-21-2011, 07:17 AM)Koji Wrote: ilovejedd: Any CPU that's clocked only at 3ghz is considered "mid-range" for PCSX2. Mid-high would be in the 3.5-3.8ghz range and 'high' would be 4ghz+

While it's definitely a better architecture than the C2D, it's still just fast enough for 'most' games with still a good chance for random slowdowns.

Only processors that come at 3.5-3.8 GHz stock are Phenom II's and those are only comparable to Clarkdale at around 3 GHz. Looking purely at stock configurations, Clarkdale is "mid-high" in comparison to other processor families/architectures. However, I do agree that even the current top processors (stock) aren't enough for full speed in a number of games. I reckon it'll take a while before even the high end CPU market ($300+) is fast enough to play every game at full speed without speedhacks.
That is true that only a few CPUs come stock at that speed, but any CPU can be overclocked and many can break the 4ghz+ barrier.

Clarkdale's are faster, but they aren't 20-30% faster in PCSX2 in most situations.
[Image: 2748844.png]
A Phenom II at 4 GHz is still only equivalent to Clarkdale at 3.5 GHz. Besides, it's easier to overclock Clarkdale to 4 GHz (or even higher) than it is most other processor families. I believe there are even some running their Clarkdale at 4.5 GHz under water.

Unfortunately, given the presence of the GT 320, I'm guessing he has an OEM build ergo no oc'ing.