Weird problem: PCSX2 slow when laptop's plugged in
Sad 
I'm currently playing Rurouni Kenshin: Enjou Kyoto Rinne on my laptop.

My problem is that it runs oh-so-slowly (30-45 fps) on my laptop when plugged in, but runs PERFECTLY (58-60 fps) on batteries.

I've already had the power settings at maximum performance, both "when plugged in" and "on batteries".

Left me wondering... Unsure

As much as possible, I want to play it with my laptop plugged in, I know there's something wrong, but I don't know what to fix. Totally clueless.... o.O

LAPTOP SPECS:
intel core i7-3610QM (2.3 GHz)
RAM: 4GB
Windows 8 Professional
Nvidia GEForce 610M (2GB)

By the way:
ASUS K55V
750GB HDD

Sponsored links

can you check your CPU temperature using the program "Coretemp" while running the game

if it reach some serious high temps it can go throttle and lower the CPU performance ...
Wierd. You have the same laptop I do (though with less ram and win 8) yet I dont get any slowdown, or high temps at all.

Try making a custom power plan and changing the minimum processor state to 100% (I had an issue where it wasnt saving as high performance until I made a custom plan).

Otherwise its possible your turbo isnt kicking in while plugged in for some reason or as stated above your getting throttled due to temps.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
I don't know how you did it with an Intel CPU, but here is what I do on my AMD side:
  1. Open AMD Catalyst
  2. Go to Power->CPU option
  3. Adjust the slider to set the CPU clockspeed. For example 800 - 1200 Mhz on AC power, and constant 2000 Mhz on battery.
  4. Run PCSX2 on battery
  5. Plug in to use AC power
  6. Lololol?
Intel don't have such a thing but there is a SW to control Turbo boost if that is what you're saying ...
(04-29-2013, 04:08 PM)The Old Refuge Wrote: can you check your CPU temperature using the program "Coretemp" while running the game

if it reach some serious high temps it can go throttle and lower the CPU performance ...

Attached below is the screenshot
so you're temperature reading is ? ( sorry can't see the image it's too big ! )
Well your temps are fine, though your processor is definitely not running full speed... have you double checked your power options are configured correctly?

(04-29-2013, 04:29 PM)The Old Refuge Wrote: so you're temperature reading is ? ( sorry can't see the image it's too big ! )

None are exceeding 60ÂșC
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
funny load. you have 4 balanced cores. doing the math they only load for 2 tho. so... try mtvu speedhack. that'd open the 3rd core.

i guess the trick with the battery mode is it stops 2 cores and probably uses the turbo when possible. where this doesn't trigger while plugged in. hence the difference in performance.
stop any background programs and try to make the system don't use any extra resource ( disable Antivirus anything that will devour resources )