Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Will Upgrading Change?
Hi, Guys i am changing my pc after 2 weeks to this, so what will change in performance while My pc is able to run SVR08, SVR10 at Full speed on Beta. I just want to know the Difference between these two Processors one is Dual-Core and 2nd is C2D.

Before / After
D-C E5200 @ 2.5GHz / C2D E8400 @ 3.0GHz
1GB RAM / 3GB RAM
Geforce 9500GT / Default

[Image: devilmaycry4wallpaper09.png]

Sponsored links

20% to 25% speedup from the cpu change, and the ability to overclock the new cpu to around 4Ghz, which means fullspeed in most games.
Thanks for the Reply Rama,

(1) but can someone plz tell me that some people says that ANY Dual-Core for example it has 2.0GHz speed that really means 4.0GHz Single-Core.

(2) and yes what will be the difference between E5300 which has the stock speed of 2.6GHz and Intel Core 2 Duo any 45nm at 2.6, i am actually asking because many games such as Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince requires at a minimum of P4 1.8GHz and recommended C2D @ 2.13GHz. so my question is that why does not it recommend Dual-Core or P4HT why it directly says C2D.

(3) and i sometimes goto SYS REQ LAB.com and check my pc Compatibility with games they says to my PC that its speed is 2.5GHz Rated @ 3.7GHz.

[Image: devilmaycry4wallpaper09.png]
(1) No you can't say something like that, its the same if i said quadcore 2ghz is actually 8ghz Tongue2

(2) Power is not just in the Ghz counters, you also need to look at things like Cache size, FSB speed etc, also 45nm is generating less heat and consume less power. and also E8xxx is very OC capable, so if you get one of those and Overclock it to 4Ghz you will get to run most games on full speed.
To help explain a bit... A single core processor is like a single car with room for one person.. A hyperthreaded core (like a pentium 4) is like a car with 2 people. Multiple core processors are like many cars that all share the same gas tank (cache).

Now let's say that all trips in the car start at point A. If a car takes someone someplace, the next person that uses the car must start again at point A.

Let's say point B is 50 miles away, point C is 100 miles from A, but only 75 miles from B...

Single core car is going 50 miles per hour. It first goes from point A to B, which is 1 hour. Then a new person gets in a single car and goes to point C from A, which is 2 hours. Total trip for both is 3 hours.

Hyperthreaded is also 50 MPH. From A to B is still 1 hour and the first person gets out. The second person takes over the car and goes from B to C which is 1.5hours for 2.5hours total (less time than just the single core)

Dual core is 2 seperate cars going 50MPH. Car 1 arrives in 1 hour, while it takes car 2 2 hours... But since both cars are going at the same time, it only takes 2 hours total instead.

Quad core is 4 cars going 25mph (half speed of dual for a very rough and easy estimate for my example). Car 1 arrives in 2 hours, while car 2 takes 4 hours. Total time, 4 hours with 2 of the cars sitting unused (this is what normally happens in PCSX2 in quad core examples)

That's why you can't simply multiply CPU speed x amount of cores to get a net speed. It all depends on how destinations you want to get to... If you have a lot of short distances to get to, 4 cars will be more efficient... But if you only have a couple long distances to go to, fewer cores will do fine and are generally faster.

^_^;; that's kind of a simplified version... I could go much more into detail... Like the fact that 4 cars sharing the same gas tank could quickly run out of gas (cache) if they are trying to all go long distances or if it's mishandled (the car going the shortest distance getting the most amount of gas)

I might try and refine this analogy and make it a quick copy pasta every time someone wonders why dual cores are faster at certain tasks when max combined ghz favors quads.

Obviously a quad of similar clock to dual, the final example would be the same as dual core, just still with 2 cars not doing much.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(11-23-2009, 08:46 PM)The Warrior Wrote: and yes what will be the difference between E5300 which has the stock speed of 2.6GHz and Intel Core 2 Duo any 45nm at 2.6, i am actually asking because many games such as Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince requires at a minimum of P4 1.8GHz and recommended C2D @ 2.13GHz. so my question is that why does not it recommend Dual-Core or P4HT why it directly says C2D.

Well the Pentium D for example is a horrible Dual Core processor, at 3GHz speed it's barely compared to a Core 2 Duo 1.6~1.8Ghz. P4-HT barely increases speed on some situtations over a normal P4 no HT so it's all about how good the chip is and so people with any dual core cant expect the same results to another dual core like in this case a Pentium D 3GHz and C2D 3.0GHZ would be a much big of a difference.

The E5300 is a 45nm C2D but with lower cache, the difference to another C2D same speed depends more of what the game/app needs of it raw power (GHz and FSB) or if it takes advantage of more cache, if a game requires more raw power than cache the difference will be minimal 1-3% or so. I think PCSX2 doesnt take much advantage of higher cache for example.

Just take in count the minimum requirements is meant to be "playable" at the lowest settings possible and well not much of a machine is required for it, while you normally would want games to be run at aleast with some quality/features enabled.

I suggest you try to overclock your current CPU instead of buying a new one (if you're gonna buy it'd probably be better to wait for a core i5 or something), but that's just me I guess Tongue
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64