Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the advantages of Windows 7? (And DirectX 11)
I do not agree with the "Windows 7 is better than XP because it is newer". This reason is invalid.

The only thing I do with Windows is to run apps and games. I do not use Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and any other Microsoft stuff.
I can do everything I need with XP. Windows 7 is slower and requires more RAM.

I will buy a PC with Ivy Bridge CPU, the GPU will be Geforce 560 and I think I will keep the Windows XP. Why would my decision be bad?

I know that Windows XP does not support DirectX 10 and 11, and some games do not support DirectX 9.
However all games I like can be played with DirectX 9.

If a game supports both DirectX 9 and 10/11, what would be the difference?

Why are DirectX 10/11 better than 9?
Are they faster for the same graphic quality? Do they allow better graphics for the same processing cost?
Are they easier to be used by developers?

Abbreviating everything, my two questions are:
What are the advantages of Windows 7? (excluding DirectX 10/11)
What are the advantages of DirectX 10/11? (excluding the fact that many games and new games will not support DirectX 9)

Thanks

Sponsored links

Windows 7 is astonishing stable, hardly it comes to a state it needs rebooting. So it is able to recover on fly from most application's missbehavior.

It is 64 bits (or at least I can't see advantages using it's 32 bits version with the newer processors) so it can manage a huge amount of memory where XP is limited to less the 4GB to mention only two of the advantages.

I do Agree that Vista made a bad impression but this does not apply to Windows 7 at all. It is the first desktop OS from MS I deem more than a toy.

Seriously, keeping XP nowadays is a major setback, mainly in gaming.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Much much better threading support, balancing the load of applications to multiple threads. Pretty important for modern processors
[Image: newsig.jpg]
64bit allows for more ram to be used and allows 64bit programs to run a little faster (I THINK). And as Bositman said, it is much efficient with resources. DX 10/11 allows for fancier features and less resource intensive.
Not to mention XP is end of life so you will no longer receive updates for it Tongue2

Windows 7 is a joy to use when you get used to it, unlike vista which was just horrible.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
i agree with zack. a windows is not better if it is newer

plus a problem is microsoft is focusing more on the appearance of windows than its stability. windows xp or even windows 2000 look shabby compared to windows 7 and windows 8, but windows xp and windows 2000 don't crash as much as windows 7

do u know is which the most stable version of windows? windows 3.1! it only contains the basic needed functions and that's it. microsoft became graphical in windows 98 and the problems started with it. i remember this incident which i think happened long ago. a presentation of the plug and play feature of windows 98 was made and windows crashed in the presentation Tongue

windows 7 is only good if u use enterprise, pro or ultimate. home premium is bad

windows 8 will come out soon. i will not rush and get it and put it instead of windows 7 like many will do. i will continue using windows 7 for years to come. i will only use windows 8 when i want to get a new laptop and all the laptops come with windows 8 Tongue
Eh? Windows XP crashed on me far more often than windows 7 does. In fact it handles it much better if some software causes it to bugger up! Dunno where you're getting your info from there.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
I never got a crash with Windows 7, plus it's Home Premium like you said, it sucks.
(10-16-2012, 04:51 AM)Zack Wrote: I do not agree with the "Windows 7 is better than XP because it is newer". This reason is invalid.

The only thing I do with Windows is to run apps and games. I do not use Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and any other Microsoft stuff.
I can do everything I need with XP.

It's opposite,if you want to play games it will be better to install 7. But if you want to just watch movies or browse net,you Win XP is just fine. I'm using XP.
some people are anti xp and some are anti 7. each person has his\her own preferences. however the only thing that everyone agrees on is that stability is needed. it would be terrible is the windows kept on crashing and it's unusable

ice queen zero is right. home premium is bad. as for you refraction since you are an experienced user i am guessing u are using ultimate. ultimate is stable and that's why no crashes. had u have been using home premium u will have a different opinion