What do the EE% and GS% mean?
It seems like most of the time the EE% will get to near 100% and that's when I can't get to full speed.

In some rare cases my GS has gone to 100% and it seemed like at that point it was also being limited to being below full speed.

Is this like the percentage of the maximum speed that it can go? What would restrict the EE or the GS? CPU,GPU?

If the GS gets to 100% I find that I can enable some speed hacks(the two sliders in particular) to lower it and get full speed. I don't seem to be able to get to full speed if EE gets to 100% even with speed hacks(although I can usually get 55fps in many cases and it may occasionally dip to 45). DX10 also gives me +5 fps. Most settings are default on 0.97 3113/3119.

I'm assuming it's just my cpu since my noisy gpu fan would tell me if it was working hard...will over clocking a bit to get up above 50fps always and usually 60fps work?

Or is there something else I can tweak to keep EE from going to 100%? Or am I completely wrong about that being the issue? Laugh

running: amd x2 6000
4gb
2 x 8800gt sli

Sponsored links

(06-01-2010, 10:24 PM)whywouldyoudothat Wrote: It seems like most of the time the EE% will get to near 100% and that's when I can't get to full speed.

Means you're limited by your CPU. Try overclocking and/or some speedhacks if anything, overclocking gives the best speed increase where speedhacks could do nothing in some games/scenes or give huge speedups in others but remember speedhacks reduce compatibility.

Quote:In some rare cases my GS has gone to 100% and it seemed like at that point it was also being limited to being below full speed.

Mostly GPU is limiting here, in some cases a faster CPU helps with it too.

What games did you try?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
EE - Emotion Engine (CPU on the PC arch)
GS - Graphics Synthesizer (GPU on the PC arch)
i7 @ 3.2Ghz /w Noctua
6GB Dominator 1600Mhz
5770 Vapor-X
1.5 TB Raid 5 /w 3ware 9650SE

The games I tried were XS1,2,3
FFX, X-2, XII
Front Mission 4

FM4, is only really slow when viewing the hangar but this game crashes alot without speedhacks on(i.e. when I attack something in the simulator, certain point in cutscene near the end, randomly).
X,X-2 were good most of the time, some slowdowns when all characters were onscreen.
In XS1, whenever an attack effect goes off, if I put the VU cycle stealing slider up, it causes massive slowdown.

I tried changing the internal res in the video plugin and it seemed to make a bit of a difference of about 5fps. Default was 1024x1024 and that looked good. I tried 2048x2048 and it looked strange. Native res looked really blocky.

Since most of the time the framerate was good I might try a slight overclock since many of the speedhacks wouldn't help.

I was also thinking about getting a new CPU anyways. I think the highest I can go is like amd x4 phenom II 965, although the 940 is on sale. Not sure if getting quad core over dual core would make any difference though.
The 2 extra CPU cores will do nothing for PCSX2, not even a single FPS more.
The architectural enhancements of the Phenom II however will help quite a bit.

Tip:
Get an "okay priced" black edition CPU and slightly overclock it (thanks to the unlocked multiplier it's easy).
Yeah I figured the extra cores wouldn't help. Someone posted some benchmarks that showed the 940BE was 30% better per clock compared to the 6000. Got it for 100$ so hopefully I can see better speeds.
make sure to overclock it as well if you really want full speed all the time.
Hm, I have a question (perhaps a strange one) - I have EE at 83 %, GS at 72 % and the game runs around 30-40 fps. Where exactly is the bottleneck? Smile
Try reducing the internal resolution or ticking "native" in GSdx.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(06-03-2010, 08:01 PM)Prott Wrote: Hm, I have a question (perhaps a strange one) - I have EE at 83 %, GS at 72 % and the game runs around 30-40 fps. Where exactly is the bottleneck? Smile

... your computer.

Some games are simply very difficult to emulate. This is probably one of them.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team