Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do you think of this buy? Need help with i7
Hey guys this is my first post but I've been using pcsx2 for the last 2 years and think its super.
My current laptop's specs are:
Core 2 duo 1.8Ghz Intel
2GB Ram
Windows Vista Home premium
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT

I've been playing many games at full speed throughout such as Final fantasy X and X-2, Fatal frames 1,2, resi 4, resi dead aim, dark cloud, clock tower 3 and others, however I was not able to get full speed on Metal Gear solids and ZOE2 was VERY slow.

This laptop is 4 years old now and some of the screen's diodes are broke from overuse xD . So I was think of getting a new laptop and was thinking of this one:

Intel CoreTM i7-740QM, 1.73GHz (Quad-Core)
500 GB Serial ATA (7200 rpm) [Does rpm affect pcsx2 much really?]
6 GB 1333MHz DDR3-SDRAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M 1GB
Windows 7 home version

Ok from what I know, that should be enough RAM for most pcsx2 games and the graphics card should do I think.

My two main question are:
1)I have the option of upgrading to a solid state hard drive which many websites(impartial ones) claim is much faster than a traditional spinning disk due to no moving parts and data fragmentation. Would you recommend this a worthwhile venture or it is a minute difference.
2) I'm really really confused because my 4 year old laptop is 1.8Ghz but this new laptop with the new i7 processor is ONLY 1.73Ghz ?!? I know that pcsx2 dosen't support quad core but it still can use 2 of them i believe?

any answers to these questions would be really appreciated !! =D Laugh

If I've posted in the wrong bit or something that brakes forum rules soz, Ill move it if need be, just my first post so I don't know =( .
CPU: i9 20Ghz 40-core
GPU: GTX 129000 in Octo-SLI
RAM: 64GB DDREKT69
Monitor: 800x600 15" CRT

Sponsored links

I learned from ChronicNL that the processor can turbo up to 2.4Ghz for 2 cores when I'm using pcsx2 as the other 2 cores are not in use which means it's better than my old laptop processor wise (but good enough?)
OK let's see. For starters the new laptop will be faster than the old just because of the improved graphics card. HDD RPM won't make a significant (if any) difference, the only place you could notice it is for loading times from games dumped in ISOs. About the SSD, I'd say go for it. Booting your PC in 5 seconds is always a plus and assuming you will only use it as a windows/programs partition, all your programs will open lightning fast Wink

Now about the Ghz and turbo boost. The Corei7 lineup has an improved architecture compared to the old Core 2 Duos (and I presume you have one of the earlier models judging by your laptop's age) so clock for clock the new processor WILL be faster. Unfortunately turbo boost is pretty much hit and miss especially on laptops, as Air describes here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-what-is-t...#pid133298
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Thanks! I know this thread is frowned upon because of too many of them Sad and there was that thread for comparison but it was just the strange i7 thing and SSD that I wasen't sure about! Tongue But thanks alot man.
I also learned that the monitor that is provided with your i7 is completely inaccurate. When I'm playing pcsx2, it does sometimes say its boosting to 2.4ghz. But other times its saying 2ghz but the fps isn't effected (this is all on one game). I was also using cpu-z and the numbering was different also.

well, what I said doesn't help with anything but since I have one, I'll say you will at least need the 840qm. The games I play can be speed hacked like crazy without anything breaking but for ones where speed hacks can break games, I suspect you will only get somewhere between 20-40fps. However, (and I haven't tried it myself yet), for 5$ (someone reverse engineered the turbo boost), you can buy "setfsb" which allows you to basically overclock your i7's. Its been tested and proven to work. Someone mentioned they oc their 820qm to 3.5 (from 3.06) and they were happy with it. He never did mention though what frequency bins ( (+133 MHz) of Intel Turbo Boost Technology that are available for 4, 3, 2, 1 active cores respectively) he used.

temps are not a problem with either sager or the one I have as long as you upgrade your thermal paste.
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram
Well the one I was thinging of was a Sony Vaio F (x) series which dosen't have the option of going up to a 840qm Glare so I'll have a scrounge around for a laptop that may do. I have a leaning towards Vaio as I've had less problems with this one than any other makes I've had, Dell, Asus and samsung(but then the Dell was a 90's black brick Tongue) but I'll go for another make if it's not ridiculously priced for a 840qm.

Are even custom, downloadable monitors inaccurate? A problem with i7's then. Blink
(09-04-2010, 05:04 PM)Fezzer Wrote: Well the one I was thinging of was a Sony Vaio F (x) series which dosen't have the option of going up to a 840qm Glare so I'll have a scrounge around for a laptop that may do. I have a leaning towards Vaio as I've had less problems with this one than any other makes I've had, Dell, Asus and samsung(but then the Dell was a 90's black brick Tongue) but I'll go for another make if it's not ridiculously priced for a 840qm.

Are even custom, downloadable monitors inaccurate? A problem with i7's then. Blink

I know nothing about the Vaio so I can't help ya there. How much u willing to spend on it? I ran across a couple before deciding to get the one I have.

also, downloadable monitors are fine. Just the one that comes stock is no good.
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram
I think £1300 would be max, it helps I don't want a blu-ray drive as that bunks the price up fairly. Thanks for the heads up with the monitor.

Oh my signature dosen't mean I've ordered yet, just the one it looks like atm.
I would choose an i3/i5 for a laptop, simply cause the i7 mobile models aren't clocked that high (with highest being 1.86Ghz for quad core and 2.66Ghz for Dual Core), the boost you get isn't that much. Who would use hyperthreading on a laptop? (seriously). With that being said, you'd get the same clock for clock performance from an i3 or i5 since i7 mobile models still uses DMI and not QPI.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24