What does the future of PCSX2 look like?
I'm interested in contributing in the future and I wanted to know what the outlook of the emulator is? What major things do we need to implement in order to get this to run at almost 100% efficiency on modern day computers? Do we just have to wait until processors get more powerful or this an issue of just fixing some bugs and implementing new features? Is the technology that we have today sufficient? I'm just a curious supporter who has been following the development of this emulator for years.
CPU: Intel i5-8400 2.8 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming OC (6 GB)
RAM: Ripjaws V Series, 2x8 GB DDR4 (2666 MHz)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360M D3H
Power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W

Sponsored links

There are a few bugs, having a look at the github issue list is a good place to start for that. Although I doubt we will hit 100% efficiency (or even 99%) we can try are best to get close as possible.

Most of the errors at the moment are with GS emulation, however gregory has been hard at work eradicating as many of them as possible, but of course there are issues elsewhere with weird things that have eluded us, so they can always be looked in to Smile

Of course making things faster is always a bonus for people with weaker hardware too if it can be done Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Yeah I've looked at the github page but I don't really understand all the terms used haha I've noticed Gregory doing some amazing work on the emulator. He really deserves some recognition for that. This emulator has come a long way from what it used to be. If I knew how to code I would be helping but all I could do is show some support from the sidelines. I appreciative the hard work guys
Oh right, I thought you meant contributing by coding lol, scratch that then.

Well another way you can help is by making bug reports on games and doing testing on them to see if anything currently fixes them or if they used to work, that would be a great help to us Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(11-17-2015, 03:51 AM)NoleNation Wrote: Yeah I've looked at the github page but I don't really understand all the terms used haha I've noticed Gregory doing some amazing work on the emulator. He really deserves some recognition for that. This emulator has come a long way from what it used to be. If I knew how to code I would be helping but all I could do is show some support from the sidelines. I appreciative the hard work guys

Well, for starter, you can erect me a statue Tongue2

It is a shame that I don't have time but I have plenty of idea to improve GSdx. I really need to discuss with Gabest on R/W texture. Both SW&HW renderer fail to support them properly. Anyway, maybe you can check issues that are "wait feedbacks". Or you could help in the documentation section (I opened a dev thread recently).

On the future (out of order):
* 64 bits support
* better gs emulation
* free bios
* fix bug

Honestly we don't plan yet for the future. First we want to release a new shiny 1.4 versions. Future will really depends on our private lifes.
Oh believe me if I knew how to code I would definitely be doing more haha I can definitely help with bug reports that sounds cool. It seems like you guys currently got a lot on your hands. I'm very excited to see what next year brings for PCSX2. Yeah I'm subscribed to that thread now and where do I find the "wait feedbacks" thing? Are you talking about the bug reporting forum or the issues section on github?
(11-17-2015, 03:49 PM)gregory Wrote: Well, for starter, you can erect me a statue Tongue2

It is a shame that I don't have time but I have plenty of idea to improve GSdx. I really need to discuss with Gabest on R/W texture. Both SW&HW renderer fail to support them properly. Anyway, maybe you can check issues that are "wait feedbacks". Or you could help in the documentation section (I opened a dev thread recently).

On the future (out of order):
* 64 bits support
* better gs emulation
* free bios
* fix bug

Honestly we don't plan yet for the future. First we want to release a new shiny 1.4 versions. Future will really depends on our private lifes.

That would be the most important change to the emulator since its creation.
The only person I can think of to ask about creating a new BIOS that isn't copyrighted would be jpd002(play! dev)
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Well we have fps2BIOS but it's super rudimentary.

However couldn't we use PCSX2 itself to reverse engineer the BIOS in some ways? We are already interacting with it and stuff.

Also doesn't PS2 BIOS contain like the full C runtime?
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-17-2015, 05:35 PM)NoleNation Wrote: where do I find the "wait feedbacks" thing? Are you talking about the bug reporting forum or the issues section on github?

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/labels/Wa...20feedback
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction