Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the difference between...
Okay, so here's a question I've had for a while...

Why is there two versions of everything when they're all pretty much (or perhaps exactly) the same?

For example, in the main folder there will be PCSX2 and PCSX2-rXXXX, and they're both exactly the same size. The same goes for pretty much all plugins.

What's the difference between them? Why are they there?

I always use the ones with the version name myself, just for the hell of "just in case anything actually is different".
[Image: signat11.jpg]

My Guide to PCSX2 for Windows (outdated, but still generally accurate)

Sponsored links

They have the same hash value as well.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 | nVidia GeForce GTX 750 | 4 GiB DDR3 @ 533 Mhz | MSI G41M-P28 | Cooler Master RS-390-PMSR-A3 | Xigmatek TYR SD962 | LG Flatron W1943SE | HP KB-0316 | MotoSpeed F60
I don't see any difference, maybe devs know something?
Same hash value means they're the same file. The only difference is the file name. The question was asked when the Orphis started building PCSX2 SVN, and the answer is something related to Visual Studio. I cannot find that thread atm. But don't worry, use either file, they are identical.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 | nVidia GeForce GTX 750 | 4 GiB DDR3 @ 533 Mhz | MSI G41M-P28 | Cooler Master RS-390-PMSR-A3 | Xigmatek TYR SD962 | LG Flatron W1943SE | HP KB-0316 | MotoSpeed F60
The build bot puts these files in 2 names (identical copy), one "generic" (without rNNNN) and one with version name. This way you can either use specific version (e.g. of a plugin) and it won't get overwritten when you update with a new version, or, you choose the "generic" name file, and this way you always use the latest.

So it's just for convenience, to allow people to choose the usage pattern they prefer.
[i7-3630qm/gt650m-2G/Win-7] [i7-4500u/R.HD8850m/Win-8.1] [2010-MBA/OSX-10.9.x]. Scroll smoothly with SmoothWheel for Firefox.
Alright, curiosity satisfied.

Uh as far as I know it's a known limitation of the VS solution. So not intended Tongue I think Orphis had the option of creating a script to delete the 'duplicate' files without the rev after them but opted not to for the reason avih explained above
[Image: newsig.jpg]
But they're exactly the same, right? It's purpose isn't even being utilized, correct? I don't see the point in having it if that's the case. Just more things to confuse people with.

(Btw you totally banned that advertisement user who posted that annoying thread, right? What the hell was that I don't even... Edit : Yup he got hammered, yay!)

Yes they are exactly the same. That was a spam bot, the internet has been full of them the past decade Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Bostiman Wrote:Yes they are exactly the same. That was a spam bot, the internet has been full of them the past decade Tongue

"I'VE INHERITED A FORTUNE FROM A NIGERIAN PRINCE!!"