What is the purpose of the x64 build of PCSX2?
It's been a long time since I last visited this forum. Things have changes so much. Here are what I've seen for years:

Bositman Wrote: Nope, there had been tests before and the speed benefit was very low compared to the massive amount of work it would need to port PCSX2 and all its' plugins to the x64 architecture.

rama Wrote: Let's say we won't go 64 bits without a really good reason.
We all agree that it'd be nice to have the option but it will mean a lot of work and in the end the emu could be less compatible, crash more, run slower.
So unless it somehow becomes necessary to do it, we won't.

(04-24-2011, 08:52 PM)refraction Wrote: There are no guarentees of speed boosts implementing 64bit.

There is only a few places i can think of where 64bit registers would be useful in PCSX2, currently SSE is more than ample for what we need.

I dont know if the Gamecube had more call for 64bit operations, but PS2 ones are generally either 128bit or 32bit, with a few 64bit ones thrown in, but they are less used.

While i don't doubt there would be a performance increase, for the amount of work involved, it wouldnt be worth it.

(07-20-2012, 10:10 PM)pseudonym Wrote: x64 instructions: useless to moderately harmful.
x64 registers: marginally helpful.
Extended virtual memory space: potentially useful.

Etc, blah blah blah...

And here is what I see now:

(09-09-2014, 03:30 PM)Bositman Wrote: Another area that has received welcome attention is work towards 64 bit compatibility. Although there is still a lot of work to be done before we release a 64 bit build, the foundation has been laid. GSdx compiles for x64 now, and several key changes have been made to the PCSX2 core to support x64 as well. These changes include preparing the emitter for 64 bit jumps, updating vtlb to work on x64, and changing instances of 32bit only code to be universal. These improvements help move us closer to having a true 64 bit build.

What's the big idea?

Sponsored links

apparently compiling is easier in 64-bit..
...compiling under linux is easier in 64 bits.
From a windows standpoint, that wont change a lot for now.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Linux requires separate 32 bit libs to be installed on 64 bit Linux distros. Some distros are not very compatible with multiarch at this time (like Ubuntu), so a total x64 build would be much better to compile.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

Got it.
Time moves on Smile
64-bit PCSX2 and plug-ins would have access to more memory, I think - which might delay or prevent crashes in games with memory issues (e.g. games on the Snowblind Engine).
Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.4GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3, 1866MHz @ 9-10-9-27 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo | Samsung S23A700D
It would prevent them from needing the 4GB patch.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Many environments move to x64 as well, making it harder to work with x86 code.
I'll be happy if it takes adventage of the x64 bit structure, considering I have a 64 bit machine, and also to the fact that all computers are going to be 64 bit for now on..I'm looking forward to this build.