What kind of performance should I expect at 720p?
I ordered all the parts to my new rig and I've been wanting to replay a bunch of my PS2 games and figured that it was better to play them in HD rather than on my PS2 at 480i. I'm wondering what kind of performance I should be getting for the following games at 720p:

Final Fantasy X and XII
God of War 1 and 2
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
Persona 4
Shadow of the Colossus
Ratchet and Clank Series
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3

and here are my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.2GHz
4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

And 2 other things:
1. If my CPU isn't at a fast enough clock speed, please state how fast it should be running at.
2. Does ripping the games to a hard drive help the performance at all on PCSX2?

Sponsored links

720p shouldn't be much of a performance hit with that GPU (it's performance is equivalent to my 4870). Meaning you're a okay at 720p.
Just a heads up, some games might produce graphical glitches when running at any resolution other than native.
FYI: Certain games, like Metal Gear Solid, will put a lot of stress on the GPU regardless of internal resolution.

3.2GHZ is fast and will do well for most games (even better with some speed hacks). But if you don't want to bother with speed hacks, overclock to 3.4-3.6 GHZ.

No, you don't gain any performance when ripping games to your hard drive(s)...but you will notice a drastic reduction in loading time (mainly because the game doesn't have to wait for the disc to spin up).
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
I use F4 to turn frame limiting on and off in menu's etc. Everything loads and can be skipped through much quicker that way. As far as FPS in game goes, if you have a modern card resolution doesn't really seem to matter at all.

My 9800GT is pretty much the same fps at any res upto my native 1600x1200 and even with an internal res of 2048x2048 it only loses a couple of FPS.
(01-21-2010, 11:48 PM)dr_thrax Wrote: 720p shouldn't be much of a performance hit with that GPU (it's performance is equivalent to my 4870). Meaning you're a okay at 720p.
Just a heads up, some games might produce graphical glitches when running at any resolution other than native.
FYI: Certain games, like Metal Gear Solid, will put a lot of stress on the GPU regardless of internal resolution.

3.2GHZ is fast and will do well for most games (even better with some speed hacks). But if you don't want to bother with speed hacks, overclock to 3.4-3.6 GHZ.

No, you don't gain any performance when ripping games to your hard drive(s)...but you will notice a drastic reduction in loading time (mainly because the game doesn't have to wait for the disc to spin up).
Do speed hacks affect graphics or gameplay in any way (besides giving a higher FPS)?
And as for games like MGS that put stress on the GPU, does it put any more stress on it than a game like Crysis? I don't want PCSX2 wearing out my GPU in a year.
As the notes on speedhacks say they can cause unstability, crashes, audio out of sync, fake fps (60fps but not full speed), skippy graphics, SPS etc.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
You don't have to worry about wearing your GPU out.
It shouldn't happen, unless you take off the cooler and let it burn on purpose.
I have my GPU for about a year now and it's still as good.
And that's after overclocking it and playing games with relatively high settings.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!