What kind of video card is needed for decent internal resolution?
Yeah just asking what kind of video card you would need to be able to max out the scaler setting to x6.

My 250GTS is fine at 3x in Kingdom Hearts 2 but any higher and I get lag in various palces. Monitoring MCU (presumably Memory Control Unit) and GPU usage I can see the GPU reaches about 80% and MCU 70% during periods of lag at 4x.

Presumably my video card isn't designed for quick access to all 1024MB of VRAM (256bit memory bus) causing the massive performance hit.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 | Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) | MSI 1070Ti | 16GB 3600MHz RAM

Sponsored links

3x? you mean the scaling? use it at x1, put your resolution in of your window size, if you're full screen on a widescreen monitor thatll be 1680x1050, then put a little bit of anti aliasing on, it tends to be a little quicker than scaling and is just as effective, if not better. I prefer it ;p
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Scaling+AA results in visual corruption where as either by it self is fine. But what kind of video card would you need for 6x scaling so that I can better consider my next video card purchase?
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 | Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) | MSI 1070Ti | 16GB 3600MHz RAM
Im guessing that the gtx460/hd6850 or above would get the job done, but its really hard to say without having said graphic cards and the specific game you mentioned. I can run at x4 on some games and Ive tried up to x6 aswell and there is virually no diffrence in visual quality, unless you have one giant of a monitor maybe.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb
There's a noticeable difference in the Space Paranoids level in Kingdom Hearts 2. I've tried triple the default resolution of 1024x1024, double the default resolution and have settled on just setting the scaler option below to 3x. My window size stayed at 1152x864 during all this and the impact was very noticeable quality wise both in Space Paranoids and everywhere else but so was the performance loss. So I aim to get a video card that will let me run the game fine at a high internal resolution without slow down.

So far, I'm up to the 2nd chapter of each world and the game is running brilliant. There are some issues when scaling the graphics but they are incredibly minor.
Computer specifications:
(11-22-2010, 02:42 PM)Franpa Wrote: Scaling+AA results in visual corruption where as either by it self is fine

That's what im saying, use the internal resolution option instead of the scaling options Tongue

but yes youll need a pretty new powerful card with lots of memory. a 1.5Gb card should work reasonably well.

(11-22-2010, 03:10 PM)Franpa Wrote: There's a noticeable difference in the Space Paranoids level in Kingdom Hearts 2. I've tried triple the default resolution of 1024x1024, double the default resolution and have settled on just setting the scaler option below to 3x. My window size stayed at 1152x864 during all this and the impact was very noticeable quality wise both in Space Paranoids and everywhere else but so was the performance loss. So I aim to get a video card that will let me run the game fine at a high internal resolution without slow down.

So far, I'm up to the 2nd chapter of each world and the game is running brilliant. There are some issues when scaling the graphics but they are incredibly minor.

Actually scaling automaticaly multiplies the native res not the default 1024x1024. So going from lets say 640x480(just an aprox, actuall native res differs from game to game) to twice that will have a huge impact on the visual quality. Going to x3 will stll provide a noticable visual impact. At x3 though you probably already reached your monitors max res, and going higher to x4-x6 will hardly imact the visual quality(depending on the size of you monitor and max resolution). And as refraction said the same effect can be achived with custom internal res and AA which is easier on the gpu.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb
I can use x4 scaling in most games (KH, KH2, FFX, FFXII, GOW 1 and 2...), but it's terribly slow in DBZBT3 and Infinite World because they are too GPU intensive.
Monitor resolution + AA is a good combo without too mucho performance loss.
For screenshots, I use 4096x3072 resolution (if the game is 4:3) and 8xAA. It looks amazing, but the games run at less than 10fps (or even 5) with that settings Tongue.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz CL30 DDR5
Monitor: Asus PG278QR
(11-22-2010, 06:42 PM)masterotaku Wrote: For screenshots, I use 4096x3072 resolution (if the game is 4:3) and 8xAA. It looks amazing, but the games run at less than 10fps (or even 5) with that settings Tongue.

are you seriously telling me you have a monitor that can do 4096x3072? what is it? a projector?!

Honestly, anything above your monitor's resolution is essentially wasted pixels, so you are doing nothing but putting unneccessary strain on your graphics card. You are better setting it to your monitor res, then use AA to finely smooth the remaining jaggies, it's much easier on it Tongue

(11-22-2010, 09:06 PM)refraction Wrote: are you seriously telling me you have a monitor that can do 4096x3072? what is it? a projector?!

Honestly, anything above your monitor's resolution is essentially wasted pixels, so you are doing nothing but putting unneccessary strain on your graphics card. You are better setting it to your monitor res, then use AA to finely smooth the remaining jaggies, it's much easier on it Tongue
AA of GSdx/DX9 (with allowHacks) is horribly broken. It crashes immediately, Since rev. 3002, but it used to work well before that. Trying to force Pcsx2 to use AA via the NVidia control panel doesn't seem to work with the few Games I tried it, though I didn't try much.