Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind to look for?
Ok so found you guys and am super excited to play my old PS2 games... But I have run into a problem... The current laptop I have is SUPER LAGGY... And theres no way to change out the graphics card, so my next option is to get another laptop...

2 things I would like to ask yall

1- What is a good laptop I can use for the emulator?
2-What is the cheapest laptop I can use?

I basically need to get one before I deploy in January so that I dont go insane (aka. use pcsx2 to keep me sane...) and I need to keep it cheap because more than likely it will not come back in the greatest of shape...

Thanks for all the help... And if anyone has a laptop they're willing to sell cheap I am all ears!

Sponsored links

how about wait for Jan 2011 there will be a intel's sandy bridge i5,i7 laptop good for pcsx2 and addition can turboed up to the range of 3.2~3.4Ghz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridg...processors

i'm sorry i can't accurate the cheapest and the perfect laptop for pcsx2 because.

formula:
cheapest laptop = effects performance+effects pcsx2 performance

and also important the GPU maybe at least mid-range GPU for pcsx2 won't cost a lot
ranging models:
HD 4500~4770,5500~5570,so-on...
GT 250~260,350~360,so-on....
Main Hub:i5-4670(3.4Ghz Factory Clocked),ATi Radeon HD7770(GDDR5+128-bit+1GB),Win 10 SL(x64),ASUS H8M-E,8GB DDR3 RAM
(12-17-2010, 06:23 AM)GC8 Wrote: Ok so found you guys and am super excited to play my old PS2 games... But I have run into a problem... The current laptop I have is SUPER LAGGY... And theres no way to change out the graphics card, so my next option is to get another laptop...

2 things I would like to ask yall

1- What is a good laptop I can use for the emulator?
2-What is the cheapest laptop I can use?

I basically need to get one before I deploy in January so that I dont go insane (aka. use pcsx2 to keep me sane...) and I need to keep it cheap because more than likely it will not come back in the greatest of shape...

Thanks for all the help... And if anyone has a laptop they're willing to sell cheap I am all ears!

2-4gb ram for stabability
250gb hdd for games *or higher*
remember too copy all your games too your pc for a boost of speed.

dualcore cpu 2.8ghz minumum
3.2ghz medium
3.6 and higher is recomended as you want the fasted cpu possible

ati radeon onboard 4250 is usually what you find in most laptops these days but try too find one with somthing a little higher.

it would be cheaper too get a desktop because if your going too want too run pcsx2 good on a laptop you going too be forking out atleast $600-$700

also whats your current pc specs maybe i can help you out a little til u get a better laptop
long ago in a distant city, i batman defender of gotham unleashed an unspeakable order. but a foolish clown wielding a menasing laugh steped forth too opose me.
(12-17-2010, 07:30 AM)kekdeyardrat Wrote: 2-4gb ram for stabability
250gb hdd for games *or higher*
remember too copy all your games too your pc for a boost of speed.

dualcore cpu 2.8ghz minumum
3.2ghz medium
3.6 and higher is recomended as you want the fasted cpu possible

ati radeon onboard 4250 is usually what you find in most laptops these days but try too find one with somthing a little higher.

it would be cheaper too get a desktop because if your going too want too run pcsx2 good on a laptop you going too be forking out atleast $600-$700

also whats your current pc specs maybe i can help you out a little til u get a better laptop

Current PC specs is:
-Intel Duo Core@ 2.00GHz each
-250GB HDD
-Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
-2GB RAM

If you wanna look up the model its Sony VAIO VGN-FZ240E

I'm a deer in the headlights whit some of this stuff, hence why im asking ya'll...
(12-17-2010, 06:39 AM)tallbender Wrote: how about wait for Jan 2011 there will be a intel's sandy bridge i5,i7 laptop good for pcsx2 and addition can turboed up to the range of 3.2~3.4Ghz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridg...processors

i'm sorry i can't accurate the cheapest and the perfect laptop for pcsx2 because.

formula:
cheapest laptop = effects performance+effects pcsx2 performance

and also important the GPU maybe at least mid-range GPU for pcsx2 won't cost a lot
ranging models:
HD 4500~4770,5500~5570,so-on...
GT 250~260,350~360,so-on....

I deploy in January...
you have a dual at 2Ghz? There are plenty of 3D games you could easily play with that.
CPU: i9 20Ghz 40-core
GPU: GTX 129000 in Octo-SLI
RAM: 64GB DDREKT69
Monitor: 800x600 15" CRT
(12-17-2010, 04:23 PM)Fezzer Wrote: you have a dual at 2Ghz? There are plenty of 3D games you could easily play with that.

I know there's stuff out there like diablo1-2 to play, I just need games that can keep me occupied like FF:X, FF:XII, Kingdom Hearts, etc... Long ass games that will keep me going...

Thoughts?
If you want cheap but pcsx2 capable look for:

1) Dual core HIGHLY CLOCKED. It doesnĂ˝ need to be the "new" I3 or I5 perhaps an "older" Core 2 Duo will be cheaper (remember, the higher the clock, the better). I don't know much about AMD laptop processors but they are cheaper than intel, just be sure they are highly clocked. This is "the most" importan thing.

2) VGA. It has to be discrete (meaning, no integrated, no intel and stuff like that). Pretty much anything good will do, since you will be bottlenecked by CPU much earlier than by your GPU (I used to play with an nvidia 8400gt mobile pretty damn well, the games I couldn't play were because of the cpu, not gpu)

That's it. The rest is always upgradeable if you need it later. Like adding ram (2gb is enough but today laptops with 3 and 4 are common, and it's cheap to upgrade if you buy with "only" 2gb). About HDD, pretty much anything according to your needs. You don't need to hold all your games library at once. Copy 5-6 games and after beating them copy others (remember to always have the original game you want to play and make an ISO from those same discs).

Edit: I had a VAIO FZ too. First laptop in which I played PCSX2. It had a core 2 duo 2.4ghz and the 8400gt I meantioned earlier in the post. It ran awesomely when it came to KH, FF and stuff like that, but more intensive games were a bit slow. I would consider a 2.66ghz laptop to be more than ok for pcsx2 for the games you want to play. My 2.4 machine was more than enough for FFX, KH and even FFXII. And by no means at native res. I hate native res.
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7
Well your current laptop could play FFX easily and even with a cheap as hell 8400M GT you can play at least at 1440x900 but I just noticed your using an Intel GMA so perhaps a new laptop then... Tongue
CPU: i9 20Ghz 40-core
GPU: GTX 129000 in Octo-SLI
RAM: 64GB DDREKT69
Monitor: 800x600 15" CRT
Hmm... So upgrading the GPU is pretty much out of the question correct? Talking to one of the guys I work with he said I could upgrade my processor and that would be a pretty cheap way to go...

What about changing to a PSX emulator? I should be able to run older games like that no problem right?

Basically just looking for a way to play anything that'll keep me going...