Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your favourite first-person shooter? Please recommend me a good one
I just recently played Bioshock 2 (never play the 1st one). I have to say that probably this is the most memorable fps that I have ever played so far beside Half Life series.

I personally think that the selling point of Bioshock 2 are the plot and believable its believable characters which are backed my solid voice acting. While the main game succeeds in displaying the father-daughter bond between Subject Delta (the protagonist) and Eleanor, the DLC (Minerva's Den) does even better with its shocking revelation and touching moment at the end of the game.

Anyone play Far Cry 3 here? I played it for a little while before Bioshock 2 and quit after opening the entire map of Northern Island (about halfway of the entire plot I believe?). While Far Cry 3 is a definite improvement from its predecessor, I find it very repetitive and the excitement of "going Rambo" when liberating an outpost occupied by the enemy wears out quickly. The best aspect from Far Cry 3 is probably the archery experience; it's like Skyrim archery paired with locational damage (e.g.: headshot, legshot).

What about Dishonored? Has anyone played this game before? I heard some describe it as Half Life 2 meets Bioshock...not sure how accurate the statement is. I tried Fear 1 & 2 before... failed to appreciate it...too supernatural and seems pointless because there are too many casualties (many characters die for nothing in the main plot...it makes death scenes cheap and non-emotional).
cpu: i5-2410m | gpu: Nvidia GT 555m 2GB | mem: 4 GB

Sponsored links

Fear 1 & 2 was imo one of the best shooters ever, besides the mainstream games. Dishonored was quite fun, but very linear, FarCry 3 isn't that Rambo like though, you get more xp for being stealthy and rethink your strategy before taking over an Outpost. Most people love to play on the hardest difficulty and do a Permadeath run and then start over if they do die. I couldn't really get into Bioshock 2 myself, since that was even more supernatural Smile hell even dishonored is supernatural (Even though I loved playing it). Metro 2033 is kinda supernatural and imo quite a good game with a good story. Don't know what kind of FPS you're looking for though, besides the mainstream Battlefield, Call of Duty, Counterstrike. One of my favorite games that I really liked was C&C Renegade, not gorgeous, but quite a good aspect.
For the fun of shooting almost everything which do move (and things that don't move also) and tons of loot. Borderlands, OK, it's not really a FPS and kind of an hybrid of FPS and action RPG and a small nearing to non existent story... but it is fun to everyone willing to shoot something for the sake of shooting something Smile

PS: Both, the 1 and the 2 are the same thing in a totally different way, what makes playing each the two a proper experience.
Imagination is where we are truly real
True Borderlands 1 and 2 are great games Smile
The people around here are playing the crappy so-called "CrossFire". Glare
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 | nVidia GeForce GTX 750 | 4 GiB DDR3 @ 533 Mhz | MSI G41M-P28 | Cooler Master RS-390-PMSR-A3 | Xigmatek TYR SD962 | LG Flatron W1943SE | HP KB-0316 | MotoSpeed F60
You know what? strangely... I have decided to purchase ID Software's RAGE and the DLC (The Scorcher) from Steam this afternoon. I have a sudden craving for post-apocalyptic adventure Tongue2
cpu: i5-2410m | gpu: Nvidia GT 555m 2GB | mem: 4 GB
RAGE isn't that bad. but if you do like post apocalyptic you should also try out borderlands.
I'm gonna break the mold here. Perfect Dark (the original, not the suck-ass prequel Perfect Dark Zero) is the greatest first person shooter in the history of videogames. It combines cyberpunk stylings with revolutionary graphics, slick gunplay, and gameplay features which have been imitated, but never quite perfected by other games since. It's an N64 game originally, but there is an Xbox Live Arcade rerelease. Seriously. The game is awesome. Even just for the soundtrack. And the amazing weapons. And the clever plot. And the multiplayer. And did I mention the weapons? Who hasn't wanted a laptop which turns into a submachine gun which turns into an automated turret? Or a gun which fires through walls with x-ray vision? Yep. It's awesome. Unfortunately, if you don't have an N64 or an Xbox 360, your only option is PC emulation. While PC emulation is pretty sweet, configuring Perfect Dark to run correctly requires a lot of know how. Plus it's illegal if you don't own a copy of the game. Fortunately I own three N64 copies. Did I mention I'm obsessed?
---
If you're unable to come to terms with just how awesome Perfect Dark is, I recommend one of the Deus Ex games. Deus Ex 3 is a bit more accessable, but Deus Ex 1 is considered more highly by fanbois. And Deus Ex 2 is the black sheep the fanbois like to ignore.
edit.
Here's the PD soundtrack. Just, you know, because. Even if you're just an electronica/techno fan, it's worth a listen. Datadyne Central: Extraction is a particularly good track for sampling. http://perfectdark.retropixel.net/pd/music/
Doom - I love it Laugh
(01-15-2013, 01:27 AM)Ambient_Malice Wrote: I'm gonna break the mold here. Perfect Dark (the original, not the suck-ass prequel Perfect Dark Zero) is the greatest first person shooter in the history of videogames. It combines cyberpunk stylings with revolutionary graphics, slick gunplay, and gameplay features which have been imitated, but never quite perfected by other games since. It's an N64 game originally, but there is an Xbox Live Arcade rerelease. Seriously. The game is awesome. Even just for the soundtrack. And the amazing weapons. And the clever plot. And the multiplayer. And did I mention the weapons? Who hasn't wanted a laptop which turns into a submachine gun which turns into an automated turret? Or a gun which fires through walls with x-ray vision? Yep. It's awesome. Unfortunately, if you don't have an N64 or an Xbox 360, your only option is PC emulation. While PC emulation is pretty sweet, configuring Perfect Dark to run correctly requires a lot of know how. Plus it's illegal if you don't own a copy of the game. Fortunately I own three N64 copies. Did I mention I'm obsessed?
---
If you're unable to come to terms with just how awesome Perfect Dark is, I recommend one of the Deus Ex games. Deus Ex 3 is a bit more accessable, but Deus Ex 1 is considered more highly by fanbois. And Deus Ex 2 is the black sheep the fanbois like to ignore.
edit.
Here's the PD soundtrack. Just, you know, because. Even if you're just an electronica/techno fan, it's worth a listen. Datadyne Central: Extraction is a particularly good track for sampling. http://perfectdark.retropixel.net/pd/music/

I liked Perfect Dark Zero & Deus Ex 2