Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was the best stable release for Zone of the Enders and ZoE 2?
Question 
I'm finding that earlier versions of PCSX2 seem to run ZoE, as well as some other games, better. Zone of the Enders is a real b*tch on emulating and the game is near unplayable even on a higher-end system in 1.2.1. I find it also runs on 0.9.8 better but still not very well.

So I'm wondering, at what point was ZoE considered fully compatible with PCSX2? That's probably the version I need to download.

Before anyone gives the usual how-to on speeding it up, I already know. The res is native, hardware mode, and all speedhacks enabled (except the sliders, which I tend to not screw with). Also tried software mode and it makes no difference.

Thanks!
[Image: signat11.jpg]

My Guide to PCSX2 for Windows (outdated, but still generally accurate)

Sponsored links

(10-09-2014, 03:16 AM)Alexander Wrote: I'm finding that earlier versions of PCSX2 seem to run ZoE, as well as some other games, better. Zone of the Enders is a real b*tch on emulating and the game is near unplayable even on a higher-end system in 1.2.1. I find it also runs on 0.9.8 better but still not very well.

So I'm wondering, at what point was ZoE considered fully compatible with PCSX2? That's probably the version I need to download.

Before anyone gives the usual how-to on speeding it up, I already know. The res is native, hardware mode, and all speedhacks enabled (except the sliders, which I tend to not screw with). Also tried software mode and it makes no difference.

Thanks!

It could be because you're using a laptop. Yet, that is one powerful laptop, so to answer your question; I don't know. Sorry I couldn't help you out on this. From what I heard, there doesn't seem to be any version that would work best. I'd guess your best bet would be to buy the HD collection on PS3 running in full time.

Seriously, how the hell did Konami make it so hard to emulate these games?
(10-09-2014, 03:44 AM)Angel10701 Wrote: It could be because you're using a laptop. Yet, that is one powerful laptop, so to answer your question; I don't know. Sorry I couldn't help you out on this. From what I heard, there doesn't seem to be any version that would work best. I'd guess your best bet would be to buy the HD collection on PS3 running in full time.

Seriously, how the hell did Konami make it so hard to emulate these games?

My friend has a good desktop and he had issues too. My current laptop is a 2011 model and isn't nearly as good as I'd like it to be, so I'll probably be trading in and getting a desktop soon. That said, the gap between laptops and desktops appears to finally be closing in. I figure, if anything, liquid cooling and good overclocking will be all that'll keep desktops ahead in performance in the future. I imagine a time will come soon where laptops and desktops are hardly any different in performance if they're both running on air cooling and stock clock speeds. That is to say, overclocking capability will be the one trait that desktops will keep on it's side, at least, because they have more options available for heat dissipation. At least, until someone devises a way to put better cooling systems in such a compact space such as a laptop. Even then, there'll be better versions of it for desktops. More space, more surface area, bigger and better radiators, more liquid, more overclocking. Not to mention desktops will continue to have better and more upgradeable motherboards, even if the CPU and GPU chips start matching each other in their stock speeds.

Anyway, yeah I dunno what it is, I'd have to ask the PCSX2 devs. I figure it's something with their game engines. I hope by the time the PCSX2 team calls the project complete there'll be some optimization towards these games. That is, if there's any to be done. For all I know they've already done all they can that modern technology will allow them to while keeping PCSX2 compatible with most systems.

I honestly wonder if there's a way to mod PS2 hardware to connect with a PC and work with an emulator if an emulator was designed for the such. My idea of it was to have a PS2 run all the CPU processes and as much GPU processes as possible, while having a computer do what graphic work it has to to produce a higher res image, producing a great image with no CPU issues. That is to say, have the PS2 hardware do as much of the work as possible, while outsourcing the bits important to image quality to PC hardware. Most of the "emulating" would essentially be cut-out then. That would be a different approach to emulation requiring hard-modding though. No typical person would do that.
[Image: signat11.jpg]

My Guide to PCSX2 for Windows (outdated, but still generally accurate)
These are one of those games that is heavy on the cpu and gpu for Desktop setup to deal with laptops/notebooks arnt really gone run this game to well unless you payed out your ass to laptop.
(10-09-2014, 03:16 AM)Alexander Wrote: I'm finding that earlier versions of PCSX2 seem to run ZoE, as well as some other games, better. Zone of the Enders is a real b*tch on emulating and the game is near unplayable even on a higher-end system in 1.2.1. I find it also runs on 0.9.8 better but still not very well.

Thanks!

From what I understand, older versions of PCSX2 almost always run games faster because they are less accurate.

As far as being playable, I would imagine a newer version would give you less errors in gameplay (thus making it more playable) but it will definitely make it run slower. So if you're looking for full speed gameplay instead of accuracy in the emulation, I would suggest trying the oldest version of PCSX2 you can find. I can tell you that my i5-4670K can't play ZoE at full speed on the latest 1.3.0 build but it can do it on 0.9.8 (even on 4x IR). Hope that helps!
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00 GHz | PowerColor R9 290X 4GB | G.SKILL 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD | Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB HDD

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU
^ I wouldn't use a version any older than 0.9.8 which is the oldest version that ZOE works on.
[Image: ov4]
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 480GB(240GB+240GB RAID0) SSD | 3 TB HDD | 1 TB HDD | 500GB HDD
Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GTX 670 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD
PCSX2 General Troubleshooting FAQ