Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats that?
I am a noob when it comes to PC's.

I have heard i overclocked this and i overclocked that.

What exactly is overclocking and how does it work?

Sorry for the noobish question Smile

Sponsored links

overclocking is when your power level is supposed to be say 3000 but you get really angry your power level rises OVER 9000!!!! its like that... you're going over what you 're supposed to be able to achieve
(06-09-2010, 03:55 PM)sakraycore Wrote: overclocking is when your power level is supposed to be say 3000 but you get really angry your power level rises OVER 9000!!!! its like that... you're going over what you 're supposed to be able to achieve

Although overclocking 200% is not recommended... Tongue
[Image: fs.png]
Q9550 @ 3,33GHz Ninja
HD 3850
So in other words.

Overclocking is powering up your computer but with a cost, am i right?
overclocking is to increase the speed of the processor/GPU beyond its stock speed, it CAN really screw up the chipset if you aren't careful
(06-09-2010, 04:30 PM)blackrose1990 Wrote: So in other words.

Overclocking is powering up your computer but with a cost, am i right?

Be extremely careful If you plan to Over clock (OC) for the first time. Normally, there isn't a problem to OC a little bit over the limit without extra cooling.

Most get extra cooling and OC from say 2.6 to 3.6 or something like that. But of course, it depends on a lot of things withen your pc.

This is coming from a person with no OC exp so make sure you listen to me Tongue
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram
To put it simply, it's raising the speed (Mhz or Ghz) of a component in your PC. Like taking your processor from 2.80Ghz to 3.06Ghz. This is the only difference between my T9600 and a T9900. It can also be done with GPU or RAM.

An example of a sensible OC (overclock) would be taking a GPU would be taking a GPU from 500/1100/800 to 550/1210/800. This is the only difference between my GT 230M and a GT240M.

Of course, there is the one other difference between the hardware I've mention; The price. This is a common reason I've read people overclock for. That, or, pushing their PC to it's limits. In any cases, this can shorten the lifetime of the overclocked hardware. Sad

Just make sure you do enough research to make yourself feel confident enough to attempt any OCing, as you'll be the only one to blame if it goes wrong!