Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Whats the best Laptop i can get for PCSX2?
for days know own im thinking about what laptop i should get that works the best togehter with PCSX2?
my max price range is 2000
i mostly will use the Pc for things like emulation but for other things like Cs3 etc

thanks in advance

Sponsored links

spending 2 thousand (dollars or euro) is extreme and there is no need for that. also there is NO laptop that can run pcsx2 effectively even if you spend 5000.

go for a desktop. with 1500-2000 you can get the fastest
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
The best laptop for PCSX2 is one that has an enormous cooling solution, core i7 CPU and a tool that lets users manually overclock it to some 3.5Ghz or more.
It'll also need some *okay* graphic card, 5870 mobile will do.

Since, to my knowledge, there is no such laptop available:
Go buy a desktop and some cheap nettop for mobility.
Mobile but powerful computers are a contradiction.
Actually, get those custom "built" laptops and have them fit an i7 940xM in it along w/ a overclock enabled mobo (some ASUS one, just ask them). Get like GTX 480M for graphics card and you'll be set for performance exceeding 60fps for most PS2 games. Of course having these things fit would require a 17'' screen. Good luck with it though, it'll be one sick laptop if you outfit it with those above.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
(09-01-2010, 04:39 PM)frosty5689 Wrote: Actually, get those custom "built" laptops and have them fit an i7 940xM in it along w/ a overclock enabled mobo (some ASUS one, just ask them). Get like GTX 480M for graphics card and you'll be set for performance exceeding 60fps for most PS2 games. Of course having these things fit would require a 17'' screen. Good luck with it though, it'll be one sick laptop if you outfit it with those above.

I certainly wouldn't want to lug that thing around. Tongue2

@OP
I understand that some people may spend more time with laptop than desktop though, still I don't want to spend too much time researching what's the best in that range for YOU.

If you want, propose your list of desired laptop here and we'll help you pick the best one.

****EDIT - I'm sorry, I posted links about the gpu, not cpu below. I was in a rush. the processor chips on mine don't go past 75C and I have stock thermal paste. but I'll leave all my info below for your reference.*****

Get the one I have except upgrade to 840qm. you can get the free updated thermal compound. Temps were reported and proven at notebook reviews that it doesn't pass 77c in furmark unless you overclock. Make sure you tell the retailers to update your bios to 209 and make sure they test connections to a external monitor as there has been reports of a psod issue where the screen is permanently damaged and you have to send it back for repairs (issue has been fixed I believe).

turbo boost is about 3.06 duo mode.

You can now overclock the 840qm. Look up SETFSB program. It cost $5.

ACT FAST!! they are no longer making this model since its been replaced by the g73jh-b1 and those cost more.

total with upgrade is about 2152 free shipping and no tax.

configure g73jh here

one of many proof of temps threads - in this one, she had a bad stock thermal paste so she applied the ic diamond herself.

This is 1/2 laptops available for this price that can play pcsx2 well.

OR

For cheaper, get this with i7-620m which is better then the above for pcsx2 but with only 4 threads but higher clock speeds. problem with this one is no one online hasn't tested out if SETFSB will work with the 620m but if you want, you can ask around in those forums or try it yourself, and if it doesn't work, return it.

OR upgrade to the 940xm!!!! with sager, its about $2228 if you upgrade thermal paste and full HD. the 940xm can be overclocked like any other computer. One person oc his 940xm to 4ghz. no idea how his temps are.

so the g73 is better for converting, rendering, winrar, but the sager is better for pcsx2 by a little ignoring the 940xm, its your choice.

for g73jh-a1, hurry!! Or, you can get the g73jh-b1 for $100 more but there is no difference at all.

its up to you.

edit - since i'm interested as well, I'll ask what temps people got with 940xm oc.
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram
thanks for all you help guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qTeHUueoTQ
what laptop has this guy looks like an acer gemstone
(09-01-2010, 05:48 PM)Kaneda Wrote: thanks for all you help guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qTeHUueoTQ
what laptop has this guy looks like an acer gemstone

it has an intel p7350 which is extremely week for the emulator. 2ghz can work with some game though, I think you should tell us what games you are planning to play.

You won't play games like tekken at all with 2ghz but maybe you can with something like..... I dunno... something. maybe street fighter... something like that.

he didn't mention what video card he was using in the video (well, I didn't watch it, just read description). edit - I'd say something like an ati radeon hd 3450 could do the trick (low graphics) but not sure of what processor speed is needed. maybe.... 2.3ghz or more?

edit - kingdom hearts isn't very demanding either so yea, 2ghz might be able to pull it off but it depends on his card.
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram
i mostly wanna play Persona 3 FES and 4 , KHII , and Jade Cocoon 2 , Namco × Capcom , Snk vs capcom chaos , Capcom Vs Snk II , and Dragon Quest V and VIII , and last but not least some visual novel games like clannad
graphic cards is Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics Controller
this was the first laptop to come to my mind http://forum.notebookreview.com/lg/29873...marks.html
(09-01-2010, 06:29 PM)Kaneda Wrote: i mostly wanna play Persona 3 FES and 4 , KHII , and Jade Cocoon 2 , Namco × Capcom , Snk vs capcom chaos , Capcom Vs Snk II , and Dragon Quest V and VIII , and last but not least some visual novel games like clannad
graphic cards is Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics Controller
this was the first laptop to come to my mind http://forum.notebookreview.com/lg/29873...marks.html

can't help ya there since I haven't played any of those on my lappy. Most games requirements or estimates are in the forums so you can probably find them with a search.