Which GSdx is best?
(02-19-2013, 03:21 PM)miseru99 Wrote: Just want to add that in case of AMD those "superior" instruction sets doesn't really look soo bright like in intel, AFAIK AVX implementation in Bulldozers(aka faildozers;p) is tragic/even slower than SSE2 and supposedly it didn't really changed in PileDriver either.=_=; But anyway people overestimate the importance of those, it's just few % max, depending on game and your limitations it could not result in any speed gain at all. Faster architecture, better temps and related things matters much more for pcsx2 than those instruction optimalizations.

Actually AMD Bulldozer does not have problems with those "superior" instruction sets, its problems actually come from poor workload in the core usage per module what deals with integer operations.

When designing Bulldozer seems they focused so much in multithreaded operations that totally forgot that many applications are still lightly threaded... ces't la vie.

PS: At least till now I can rest assured AMD is not "actively" trying to get into my backdoor and implementing features that CAN be used to enslave the machine and through it, the user. For this reason alone> "Vive long and prosper AMD"
Imagination is where we are truly real

Sponsored links

(02-19-2013, 04:37 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: PS: At least till now I can rest assured AMD is not "actively" trying to get into my backdoor and implementing features that CAN be used to enslave the machine and through it, the user. For this reason alone> "Vive long and prosper AMD"

wat
(02-19-2013, 05:22 PM)metalmallow Wrote: wat

Two words "vPRO" and "TC"
Neverthless the reason(I totally lost interest in BD after first tests;p, PD apu's are cool, but still not really an upgrade either @_@), from practical tests avx code is slower than sse2 for those AMD cpu's that has it and it applies to pcsx2 as well.

Obviously nothing of that applies to OP, but good to know for all those BD/PD users out there who always thought AMD is slower only couse having less instructions.(And we always had people asking for support for AMD SSE3 and SSE4a thinking it was lack of those the cause of worser performance;p.)
I'm not talking about AVX for AMD, I'm talking for the other SSEs AMD uses (Specifically for the Phenom IIs) Tongue
(02-19-2013, 04:37 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: PS: At least till now I can rest assured AMD is not "actively" trying to get into my backdoor and implementing features that CAN be used to enslave the machine and through it, the user. For this reason alone> "Vive long and prosper AMD"

This is a BIOS issue, yes?
http://communities.intel.com/message/71676
(02-19-2013, 05:31 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Two words "vPRO" and "TC"

vPro is definitely a risky technology, but as I see it, isn't it more geared towards business IT? It isn't enabled by default on my motherboard, anyway. In any case, I don't see why an optional, almost insignificant feature would be the defining factor in choosing AMD over Intel. Not that there's anything wrong with going with them — it depends on your needs.

What's "TC," by the way?
(02-19-2013, 11:19 PM)pgert Wrote: This is a BIOS issue, yes?
http://communities.intel.com/message/71676

No, it's a CPU "issue".

PS: Anyway the whole thing is broader and a shared effort from the TCG what includes among others (AMD included): Intel, Sony and MS as most active members.

@metalmellow
If you think it is an insignificant feature that means you have no idea of what it "can" do today and what it may become.

About optional... don't rely on it.

Besides, it is not designed to be controlled from inside but from outside.

Now, let's stop here, this is not the thread topic, I already regret have brought it on.
BD's FPUs are only 128bit so there won't be a big improvement when crunching 256bit AVX code. It still gets some speed from the 3 operand encoding and the bandwidth saved from sending 1 256bit instruction instead of 2 128bit.
Btw not to drag AMD down, cause I love their CPU/GPUs, but wasn't the Phenom IIs better at first then the bulldozers?? Not sure if that changed though.