Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which PS2 models are best for PCSX2 and PC memory card reader?
I'm shopping for a used PS2 that will work best with PCSX2. Mainly I'm interested in transferring saved games back and forth easily (with MyMC), so I can play on the console or on my PC and continue the same game on either system. A soft-moddable (FMCB or other compatible) version would be nice, since I'd rather not have to do any hardware mods.

Which US/NTSC SCPH- models / V versions are good to look for? Would a Slim be best with the built-in networking?

As for transferring memory card data back and forth between PC and PS2, is there a memory card reader with PC support? I've read it might be possible with the PS2-to-PS3 USB memory card reader, but I don't have a PS3 console.

Or is there a way for a non-modded PS2 to transfer saves to a standard USB thumb drive so I could read that in my PC?

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored links

PCSX2 should work with all PS2 BIOS except for the first model released in Japan back in 2001. I doubt if you can find one on the market today.

Only 7000x and lower models can be exploited with FMCB. If you get a 9000x, hardmod is the only way (swap magic too maybe?). Don't worry, let someone do it for you. Usually the seller also opens that service for $20.

I don't know what you mean by "best with the built-in networking" but PS2 online game servers are extinct.

For the memory card thing, I have never heard of such card reader for PC. People usually copy PS2 saves to flash drives using the PS2 USB port. Your console must be either hard or soft-modded for this to work.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 | nVidia GeForce GTX 750 | 4 GiB DDR3 @ 533 Mhz | MSI G41M-P28 | Cooler Master RS-390-PMSR-A3 | Xigmatek TYR SD962 | LG Flatron W1943SE | HP KB-0316 | MotoSpeed F60
Thanks for all the helpful info, Livy.

(01-19-2013, 09:06 PM)Livy Wrote: I don't know what you mean by "best with the built-in networking" but PS2 online game servers are extinct.

I was wondering if there might be any way to transfer data over the network connection after soft-modding, though it sounds like the USB port will be all I need for that.
yeh ulaunchelf will do it for you and stick it on the memory stick, you can browse the contents of your memorycards and copy stuff off, it's just a matter of getting it to run. I personally use swapmagic, which just needs you to rename the ulaunchelf program to SWAPMAGIC.ELF and fire up the swap magic disc, then off you go Smile

The only drawback for someone not already possessing swapmagic, is it's rare as hell to get hold of now! So you might need someone who has got it to lend you it or smth (or send them your ps2) so they can get FreeMCBoot on your memorycard. (this has to be done on the console you plan on using it on as it uses the consoles id to link itself up)
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
(01-20-2013, 03:40 AM)refraction Wrote: yeh ulaunchelf will do it for you and stick it on the memory stick, you can browse the contents of your memorycards and copy stuff off, it's just a matter of getting it to run. I personally use swapmagic, which just needs you to rename the ulaunchelf program to SWAPMAGIC.ELF and fire up the swap magic disc, then off you go Smile

The only drawback for someone not already possessing swapmagic, is it's rare as hell to get hold of now! So you might need someone who has got it to lend you it or smth (or send them your ps2) so they can get FreeMCBoot on your memorycard. (this has to be done on the console you plan on using it on as it uses the consoles id to link itself up)

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping to try disabling the sensors and using the swap trick with an old game like 007 to set up FMCB. I'll look into other options if that doesn't work.
swap trick should work, anything that lets you change the disc without hitting the eject button should work, this is all swapmagic does really, however you will need to create an iso that launches in to ulaunchelf or something to install it.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!