Which games are the MOST demanding to run at full speed?
We have a thread asking which games can be played on a low-end PC, but I want to know which games take a very high end PC to run. Tongue

I'm mostly wondering because I'd like to know which games I have no chance of being able to play properly with PCSX2. I have a nicely working PS2 but I actually prefer the emulator thanks to the much improved graphic capabilities.

To start the list, I found that the original Splinter Cell ran horribly from the get go no matter what settings or speed hacks I used. I don't know if I just had something set wrong but it was the first game I've tried that didn't run at full speed no matter what I did.

Sponsored links

It would help if you posted your system specs lol.

Valkyrie Profile 2 seems to be the most demanding game I've tried thus far.
Well, I really meant it as a general question, not really specifically for me. Just wondering what are generally considered to be the hardest games to run at full speed. Another one I just remembered is someone mentioning Metal Gear Solid 3 as being almost impossible to run at constant full speed no matter what kind of computer you have.
It should be GT4. I don't recall seeing anyone says having the game run full speed all time. Even a 4.4ghz E8400 and 4.2ghz i7 can't seem to do it according to the "best setting for gt4" thread.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
Shadow of the colossus, Xenosaga 1, & MGS3
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I wonder what a 4GHZ Thuban using software mode at 6 threads could achieve?
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
reasonable speeds, not amazing tho Tongue I run it sometimes in software mode with 7 threads on my i7 920 @ 3.4Ghz, needless to say i get a playable speed, although i dont believe it is full speed.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Tales of crashes, eh, Legendia.
Due to massive texture generation / swapping it's one of the slowest games. And then it crashes Tongue2
(04-28-2010, 06:50 AM)CKL Wrote: It should be GT4. I don't recall seeing anyone says having the game run full speed all time. Even a 4.4ghz E8400 and 4.2ghz i7 can't seem to do it according to the "best setting for gt4" thread.

yeah? I can say that doesn't aply to me BUT... I only play on Arcade modeTongue
Check out my thread, it might help you get better performance on that game.

Short answer to the question is: any game that uses excessive post processing will cripple PCSX2.

Although I'm a programmer, I am not familiar with PCSX2's source so these are just guesses:
- The timing and fpoint calculation procedures of the PS2's processors have not been fully emulated yet, so some of the slow downs are related to in-progress code rather than a limitation of PC hardware.

- The kind of post processing effects used by game developers on the PS2 do not translate well on HD resolutions. A depth of field effect meant to be output at 512x512 resolution will require 20x processing power when output to 1920x1080

I've also found one game that is unusually slow on PCSX2: NBA Street 2. I don't know if it's because I didn't try enough to get the right settings or a limitation of PCSX2, but last time I ran it, the minute a match starts the framerate drops to 15fps.

From my collection:
MGS3
ZOE2
NBA Street 2
C2D E8400 @ 4ghz
Asus Maximus Formula
G.Skill 4gb (2x2gb) @ 1000mhz
XFX 5870 1gb
Intel X-25m 160GB SSD
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Dell 30" 3007wfp
Gran Turismo 4. Its almost impossible to get FULL speed.
All Ratchet and Clank games.