Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which of the 3 processors would run PCSX2 the best?
Which of the 3 processors would run PCSX2 the best?

1) Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

2) Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz

3) Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz

I would think Core i7-860 would run the best because it has Hyperthreading.

Sponsored links

Third for sure. i7 technology is superior of those C2D (even with lower clock speeds). And it's 4 CPU's (unless the only thing you want to play on your PC is pcsx2) and can be easily overclocked (well, all of those can be "easily overclocked" i guess...). If you have the money go for that i7
[Image: fs.png]
Q9550 @ 3,33GHz Ninja
HD 3850
Thank you for your response.
Are you building a new PC, or are you just intending to upgrade your CPU? Because the i7 uses a different socket compared to the Core 2 Duos, which means you would need to buy a new motherboard. If you currently have a socket 775 motherboard which supports the E8xxx series, then I'd probably just get either of the Wolfdale CPUs. PCSX2 only uses 2 cores anyway, so the extra 2 cores from the i7 won't help in that respect. If you overclock the Wolfdales, there won't be a hugely significant difference in performance (in PCSX2) between them and the i7.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
If not overclocking, the E8500 will run PCSX2 the best, by a long shot.

If overclocking, I think the i7-860 should match or exceed it (they typically OC very well), with the added bonus of being much more versatile for non-PCSX2 apps and stuff thanks to 4 cores and HT and stuff.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
I'm trying to build my own computer and Overclocking it.

I'm just wondering if I should pay $270 for a Core i7-860 or pay $170 for a Core 2 Duo.
I think I should buy a Core i7-860 since many people say it overclocks very well.
Then i5-670 is you choice -- it's overclocked up to skies, and this one is fastest of all. But low cache memory.
Well, Both the Core i7-860 and the Core i5-670 pretty much have the same price.
I have heard that the Core i7-860 is good at overclocking.
i5-670 will be roughly 15-30% faster for PCSX2, I figure, depending on what luck of the draw you get for OC'ability. You will lose the 4 core ability tho, which would not do much for PCSX2, but could be of benefit to other apps down the road (though, currently, there's almost nothing aside Maya or 3D Studio that would benefit from 4 cores and HT enough to merit a 20% drop in raw ghz -- but that will likely change).

edit: clarified. >_<
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
i vote for option 2 since pcsx2 is remains designed for 2 core cpu.
Main Hub:i5-4670(3.4Ghz Factory Clocked),ATi Radeon HD7770(GDDR5+128-bit+1GB),Win 10 SL(x64),ASUS H8M-E,8GB DDR3 RAM