Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which one?
Exclamation 
Hey everyone, I'm back again. I've done some research and I have two laptops I need help deciding on which would be the better choice for the pcsx2.

On one site I can get a Sager NP3250 with a i7-2720QM processor, 1GB nvidia 520m , IC Diamond Thermal Compound and a cooling pad all together for 980$

While on another site I can get the Hp dv6t series with a i7-2620M processor, 1GB Radeon 6490m or 2GB 6770m for 1,049

Would I be better off with the Sager? Since it's processor is better, and I'll be able to cool it down some when the PCSX2 starts getting my system running.
I'm asking this cause I'm not too sure of the difference between a 520m or the Radeon in comparison to the PCSX2.

Sponsored links

(07-17-2011, 08:32 PM)Dakafal Wrote: Hey everyone, I'm back again. I've done some research and I have two laptops I need help deciding on which would be the better choice for the pcsx2.

On one site I can get a Sager NP3250 with a i7-2720QM processor, 1GB nvidia 520m , IC Diamond Thermal Compound and a cooling pad all together for 980$

While on another site I can get the Hp dv6t series with a i7-2620M processor, 1GB Radeon 6490m or 2GB 6770m for 1,049

Would I be better off with the Sager? Since it's processor is better, and I'll be able to cool it down some when the PCSX2 starts getting my system running.
I'm asking this cause I'm not too sure of the difference between a 520m or the Radeon in comparison to the PCSX2.

i dont rly know much about mgpu but for what i can grasp the 6770m is much better.

The HD 6770M is undoubtably better, but the question becomes: Is it what you need?

The HD 6490M could only be considered comparable if the GDDR5 variation. Otherwise, it surely would be lesser than the GT 520M.

The GT 520M would generally be ok, just understand that high res isn't always going to be possible with every single game.

So here's my take on this:

It is always nice to have higher resolutions, but you're not going to be able to enjoy them as often if your CPU can't rightfully keep up with the given game. I would rather be stuck with native res while at full speed, than see something so beautiful being degraded by half speed. This is why the laptop with the faster processor and lesser GPU (the one that's "ok") would seem most tempting to me (for PCSX2).

But, like the HD 6770M, would you rightfully need that fast of a CPU? Well, it all depends on what you're going to be playing. If you can say every game you would possibly be playing, we could try to clear this up. If there could or would ever be games you'd end up trying that you can't forsee at this point, then you will want to have the fastest CPU you can (for the best chance of having what is takes for that game).

A tough choice, I know, and it comes up a lot...

Great GPU, but just a decent CPU
- or -
Decent GPU, but a great CPU
(07-18-2011, 12:39 AM)Rezard Wrote: The HD 6770M is undoubtably better, but the question becomes: Is it what you need?

The HD 6490M could only be considered comparable if the GDDR5 variation. Otherwise, it surely would be lesser than the GT 520M.

The GT 520M would generally be ok, just understand that high res isn't always going to be possible with every single game.

So here's my take on this:

It is always nice to have higher resolutions, but you're not going to be able to enjoy them as often if your CPU can't rightfully keep up with the given game. I would rather be stuck with native res while at full speed, than see something so beautiful being degraded by half speed. This is why the laptop with the faster processor and lesser GPU (the one that's "ok") would seem most tempting to me (for PCSX2).

But, like the HD 6770M, would you rightfully need that fast of a CPU? Well, it all depends on what you're going to be playing. If you can say every game you would possibly be playing, we could try to clear this up. If there could or would ever be games you'd end up trying that you can't forsee at this point, then you will want to have the fastest CPU you can (for the best chance of having what is takes for that game).

A tough choice, I know, and it comes up a lot...

Great GPU, but just a decent CPU
- or -
Decent GPU, but a great CPU

Alright, the games I'm most interested in playing would be Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 final mix, Ratchet and Clank series, Dot hack G.U. series, God of War 1 and 2 ( if possible) Final Fantasy X and X-2 international. The rest I can't think of right now but I've got a game book full of em.

I definitely agree with your statement Rezard, I too rather would play a game with not the absolute best quality but runs like a boss. Than play a game with wicked resolutions but plays in slow motion.

Also I haven't any problem with playing in native, while it may be a smaller screen for me to look at I'm satisfied with it. It makes me feel like I'm playing it on a ps2 =D. Native x2 would be outstanding from my point of view but not necessary. Native x2 to me would be over achieving.
Oh, crap. I was mistaken. Actually, I feel nVidia's "done it to me again". lol

So, after taking a closer look at details of the 500M series, I see nVidia has decided to be d-bags again, and messed with the numbers. Simply put, the previous series GT (400M, 300M, 200M and even 100M) units all sported a decent 128-bit memory bus. Unfortunately, with the 500M series, they decided to go with half the bus width on the GT 520M. This seriously does hurt where it counts, and has come to be expected from them by now.

Basically, I should have know better than to expect them to make the GT 520M stronger than, or at least equivalent of, the GT 415M... Rolleyes

The GT 520M actually would come in right around the 410M (not GT), or that HD 6490M as a DDR3. I'm really not so sure I would actually wanna recommend that one then. Any chance of getting at least the GT 525M instead?

Otherwise, you'd probably be best to avoid the Sager, unless the HD 6490M was definitely in DDR3. But in that case, you'd be dealing with that "surely be lesser" situation that I spoke of, so the Hp dv6t with the i7-2620M and HD 6770M would be the choice to make. It's CPU isn't technically "slower", but the quad core can actually be useful to some degree (yes, even with PCSX2).

Sorry if I've confused you. Just let me know if you have any questions. Smile
(07-18-2011, 03:04 AM)Rezard Wrote: Oh, crap. I was mistaken. Actually, I feel nVidia's "done it to me again". lol

So, after taking a closer look at details of the 500M series, I see nVidia has decided to be d-bags again, and messed with the numbers. Simply put, the previous series GT (400M, 300M, 200M and even 100M) units all sported a decent 128-bit memory bus. Unfortunately, with the 500M series, they decided to go with half the bus width on the GT 520M. This seriously does hurt where it counts, and has come to be expected from them by now.

Basically, I should have know better than to expect them to make the GT 520M stronger than, or at least equivalent of, the GT 415M... Rolleyes

The GT 520M actually would come in right around the 410M (not GT), or that HD 6490M as a DDR3. I'm really not so sure I would actually wanna recommend that one then. Any chance of getting at least the GT 525M instead?

Otherwise, you'd probably be best to avoid the Sager, unless the HD 6490M was definitely in DDR3. But in that case, you'd be dealing with that "surely be lesser" situation that I spoke of, so the Hp dv6t with the i7-2620M and HD 6770M would be the choice to make. It's CPU isn't technically "slower", but the quad core can actually be useful to some degree (yes, even with PCSX2).

Sorry if I've confused you. Just let me know if you have any questions. Smile

Aw thanks man for taking time out to look that up. Sheesh nVidia taking the jerk way out of things >.<

I'll get the HP at least then the gpu and cpu will be on the same level. Not one being a boss and the other slacking behind.

I almost went with the 6770m dv6t until reading about AMD's OpenGL problem. I think it's only on i7 quads though. In the end I went with 2630qm + 525m. My XPS 15 arrives Aug 3, let me know what kind of framerates you're getting in FFX, I'd like to compare Tongue
I have a hard time imagining a game like FFX having any real trouble on the (standard) 2nd gens.
(07-18-2011, 04:30 AM)synce Wrote: I almost went with the 6770m dv6t until reading about AMD's OpenGL problem. I think it's only on i7 quads though. In the end I went with 2630qm + 525m. My XPS 15 arrives Aug 3, let me know what kind of framerates you're getting in FFX, I'd like to compare Tongue

Ha, so wait AMD OpenGL problems? That doesn't sound too good! >.< Not cool, not cool. But good thing I haven't ordered anything yet.