Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who came up with "VU Cycle Stealing"?
The title is pretty much self explanatory. This and other speed hacks help [some] people emulate games they otherwise couldn't due to hardware limitations. I just want to know who came up with it.

Sponsored links

Dunno who came up with it on PCSX2 but I remember that it wasn't a PCSX2 innovation. Just that. It's cool though, possibly more effective than on any other emulator out there.
AFAIK it's from the game Shadow of the Colossus the game use some kind of VU cycle stealing it self because it's way beyond the PS2 capabilities ( the game also highly benefits form VU cycle stealing in PCSX2 )

so they used the same way but with improvements ....

but which coder did code it no clue .....
SotC? cycle stealing? huh? *scratches head*

afaik i know programming effects on the ps2 it's not about stealing, nor is it beyond the caps. the effect just works that way. it runs the post-processing computation and filters on the VU which is basicly used as a pixelshader with a small copy of the final image or depth buffer. also that's why stealing works so nice. it processes VU ahead or overcycled when the EE is basicly just waiting for the screen effect to process. that's the trick.
I believe cottonvibes came up with it Tongue2
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
I think his MTVU speedhack beats it Tongue

Thread hijack but is VU or EE overclock on the table or is this unpractical?
CPU: i9 20Ghz 40-core
GPU: GTX 129000 in Octo-SLI
RAM: 64GB DDREKT69
Monitor: 800x600 15" CRT
(04-12-2013, 11:54 PM)Fezzer Wrote: I think his MTVU speedhack beats it Tongue

Thread hijack but is VU or EE overclock on the table or is this unpractical?

why would you want to overclock them? Ill give you a clue, the current hack reduces the cycle rate and gives a speedup in return... Tongue
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
(04-13-2013, 12:26 AM)refraction Wrote: why would you want to overclock them? Ill give you a clue, the current hack reduces the cycle rate and gives a speedup in return... Tongue

Easier to understand if thinking is far easier to emulate a slow machine than a fast machine... so the "underclock" of EE that the hack provides Smile
Imagination is where we are truly real
(04-13-2013, 12:26 AM)refraction Wrote: why would you want to overclock them? Ill give you a clue, the current hack reduces the cycle rate and gives a speedup in return... Tongue

Well I may be incorrect but I thought that on some games the actual Ps2 hardware struggled to render full fps on some games such as SotC etc and because Pcsx2 is emulating 100% of the power of the EE+VU and not above, so the lag still persists on Pcsx2.

But I've only read about this I don't even own SotC, no personal experiance of lag.
CPU: i9 20Ghz 40-core
GPU: GTX 129000 in Octo-SLI
RAM: 64GB DDREKT69
Monitor: 800x600 15" CRT
(04-13-2013, 12:53 AM)Fezzer Wrote: Well I may be incorrect but I thought that on some games the actual Ps2 hardware struggled to render full fps on some games such as SotC etc and because Pcsx2 is emulating 100% of the power of the EE+VU and not above, so the lag still persists on Pcsx2.

But I've only read about this I don't even own SotC, no personal experiance of lag.

There are experiences with increasing EE emulated clock indeed (although is needed to change the source code to accomplish). The idea is trying to get smoother play but at two costs... first it overloads yet more the emulation what claims for veeery powerful emulating machines, second, it can cause some desync the same way underclocking it could.
Imagination is where we are truly real