Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do PAL games get 50FPS?
I am assuming it has something to do with the TV's in that region and the format, but I cannot be sure.

Sponsored links

You're right (you could've just Googled it, you know). TVs in Europe were developed differently differently. However, 60hz/120hz/240hz etc are standards, as well as progressive scan and HD.

In terms of PCSX2 games, I stay the heck away from PAL games because it means less fps (unless it comes with a 60hz setting), as well as fiddling with language settings (would you like your game in English, French, Spanish, Italian, German or Russian?). The only exception are PAL exclusives, like Michigan: Report From Hell, Another Code: R and Disaster: Day of Crisis.
(04-11-2013, 06:36 PM)devina40 Wrote: You're right (you could've just Googled it, you know). TVs in Europe were developed differently differently. However, 60hz/120hz/240hz etc are standards, as well as progressive scan and HD.

Funny that you mention that part in bold:

[Image: G06NaPx.png]

The omnibar (the search bar) is giving me trouble...

(04-11-2013, 06:36 PM)devina40 Wrote: In terms of PCSX2 games, I stay the heck away from PAL games because it means less fps (unless it comes with a 60hz setting), as well as fiddling with language settings (would you like your game in English, French, Spanish, Italian, German or Russian?). The only exception are PAL exclusives, like Michigan: Report From Hell, Another Code: R and Disaster: Day of Crisis.

Well does if you (or whoever does) lives in a region that sells PAL games why do people buy them? I guess it is the only thing they have (something is better than nothing). However though it is only 10FPS I find that it actually makes a fairly big difference... I feel bad for gamers who have to put up with that.
In those days PAL provided better colour, NTSC was nicknamed "never the same colour" among TV know-it-alls apparantly (I never had experiance with ntsc stuff often so I just know this from wiki). But yes Ntsc had more fps.

and don't forget about the Soviet Union's SECAM, whatever fps that was.
CPU: i9 20Ghz 40-core
GPU: GTX 129000 in Octo-SLI
RAM: 64GB DDREKT69
Monitor: 800x600 15" CRT
(04-11-2013, 06:57 PM)Fezzer Wrote: In those days PAL provided better colour, NTSC was nicknamed "never the same colour" among TV know-it-alls apparantly (I never had experiance with ntsc stuff often so I just know this from wiki). But yes Ntsc had more fps.

and don't forget about the Soviet Union's SECAM, whatever fps that was.

NTSC never the same color? I think whoever was claiming that could use an eye examination. All of my games (NTSC) always had good color and I have great vision.
Hey, don't look at me, I'm a naive teen Canadian who's never spent a nanosecond off Canada's soil.

Europe as a continent is a melting pot full of different cultures, standards, etc, with an extremely rich history (although that's part of what makes it cool since there's so much diversity.)

At least PAL offered a slightly higher resolution, but I don't think it matters since PCSX2 upscales everything anyway. I wonder if it could be possible to force PAL games into 60hz mode in PCSX2, or even 30fps games to 60fps.
@devina40 sorry if I offended you or anything like that. That wasn't my intention.

devina40 Wrote:At least PAL offered a slightly higher resolution, but I don't think it matters since PCSX2 upscales everything anyway. I wonder if it could be possible to force PAL games into 60hz mode in PCSX2, or even 30fps games to 60fps.

If the game was meant to run at 30FPS then I don't think doubling it is the best idea, but that is just my thinking on the matter.
lol, not at all. And I know Wii USB Loader GX can force 50hz games into 60hz so they can work on American TVs, so such a thing might be possible for PCSX2.
(04-11-2013, 07:22 PM)devina40 Wrote: lol, not at all. And I know Wii USB Loader GX can force 50hz games into 60hz so they can work on American TVs, so such a thing might be possible for PCSX2.

Well I've dabbled in Wii homebrew (and by dabble I mean copy and paste files onto an SD card). I got sick of frantically taking my SD card in and out.
It's totally worth it in the long run. I've done PS2/Wii/PSP modding the past, and it was awesome.

Anyway, my hopes are that 16:9 widescreen, 1080p and 60fps become a standard in the future.

I hear articles about Wii U running games at 720p, and PS4 running games at 30fps, and I'm just thinking "WTF, stop, just stop it."

It's fun watching technology advance because I was born in the 90s and grew up one of these as a kid:

[Image: television-set.jpg]