Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Why does PCSX2 run so slowly?
Sometimes PCSX2 will run really slowly and I meet the requirements pretty close. It will go as slow as 20 frames sometimes. Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II Quad-Core 2.9ghz
RAM:2gbs
HDD:80gb
GFXCard: ATI RADEON HD 5570
Motherboard: MSI K9N6PGM2-V2

I don't expect it to run as slow as it does. Maybe not completely full-speed but not that slow. PCSX2 doesn't utilize Quads does it? If not, I think it should be implemented.

Sponsored links

There is lack of information in excess that prevents effective help being given.

Ah, yes, many people think multithread should be implemented. Sadly it's not that simple in a pipeline architecture where several actual hardware processors need to be emulated and the line depends on previous result... you know... too difficult to synchronize but you are welcome to try and do it.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(08-15-2010, 07:59 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: There is lack of information in excess that prevents effective help being given.

Ah, yes, many people think multithread should be implemented. Sadly it's not that simple in a pipeline architecture where several actual hardware processors need to be emulated and the line depends on previous result... you know... too difficult to synchronize but you are welcome to try and do it.

What more info do you need? I'm running on Seven if that's what your talking about with a 400watt PSU.

But yeah I know multi-thread could be hard. But, perhaps the cores could split the work in between the two. Like the Emotion Engine could run on two cores and split certain processing sections and the Graphics Synthesizer Emulation could run on two cores and split the processing or the less busy core could do the harder stuff. Unfortunately, I only code in GML and it's not at all powerful enough to make something like this.
XD005, it's actually done already for EE and GS, it's not done for the remaining hardware because there is only overhead and no advantage when in a pipeline one process needs the previous to terminate before it can start.

Besides, the priority now is achieving more accuracy without hampering yet more the performance.

Which information is needed?

Since you didn't mention the video card it seems to be safe to assume it's an integrated one... and so a no no no for good performance in most games.
After that the emulator's version, plugins used, hacks used... these things.
And, of course, the game you are running... It's just like PC games, each one has it's own weight and minimal machine power needs.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(08-15-2010, 08:24 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: XD005, it's actually done already for EE and GS, it's not done for the remaining hardware because there is only overhead and no advantage when in a pipeline one process needs the previous to terminate before it can start.

Besides, the priority now is achieving more accuracy without hampering yet more the performance.

Which information is needed?

Since you didn't mention the video card it seems to be safe to assume it's an integrated one... and so a no no no for good performance in most games.
After that the emulator's version, plugins used, hacks used... these things.
And, of course, the game you are running... It's just like PC games, each one has it's own weight and minimal machine power needs.

I did... And I know integrated cards suck...

Quote:GFXCard: ATI RADEON HD 5570
Quote: PCSX2 doesn't utilize Quads does it? If not, I think it should be implemented.

You know, it's an open source project.
if you want to join the team and implement quad cores support, feel free to do it.

and, yes, it's really game dependant. please tell us which game you're trying to run.
CPU : I7 2600K Oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz
Mobo : Intel P67 southbridge
GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti
RAM : 6 Go
You might get a small boost by changing all windows processes(core affinity) to core 1 and 2 and only running pcsx2 on the other 2.
It usually gave my Q9000 @2.4ghz about 15% performance increase but this will still be far from playable.
[Image: 1454055.png]
(08-15-2010, 10:52 AM)jesalvein Wrote:
Quote: PCSX2 doesn't utilize Quads does it? If not, I think it should be implemented.

You know, it's an open source project.
if you want to join the team and implement quad cores support, feel free to do it.

and, yes, it's really game dependent. please tell us which game you're trying to run.

Unfortunately, I'm no really advanced coder... But I've tried Kingdom Hearts, DBZ: Tenkaichi 3, and Guitar Hero II. I've run them all off the disc. Could that have something to do with it? They'll all run okay for a little and then start lagging and run okay again.
@ XD005

yes it does,you will have to make an iso of all the games do you want to play,its faster than reading from the dvd and it will prevent some lags too
[Image: 2ymccqu.jpg]
[Image: 17715.png]
Nevermind. I believe I solved it. The GFX Plugin was set to DX9 which I suppose my card has problems with since it was designed for DX11. So I set it to 10 and now it just slows down when the disc stops spinning. Is there a way to keep the disc spinning so it doesn't freeze in the middle of the game to load stuff while the disc spins up again?