Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why if PS2 processor is 300MHz, we need a 3.1 GHz processor?
My name is Chris E. I have been wondering:

Why does a PS2 has a 300 MHz, & we need a 3160 MHz processor?

How come at low res, we still need a very advanced graphics card?

How come a PS2's graphics card is 32 bit & 4 MB & we need a 512 MB video card?

PS2 Specs:

* CPU: Emotion Engine 300MHz, 128-bit INT, 128-bit FP, 24KB L1, 16KB Scratch, 8KB VU0, 32KB VU1, 450 MIPS, 6.2 GFLOPS, 66M Vertices/Sec, 2.4 GB/s Internal, 1.2 GB/s Graphics, 3.2 GB/s Memory
* Graphics: Sony GS 150MHz, 1.2G Texels/Sec, 32-bit Color, 4MB (48 GB/s), 1.2 GB/sec Bus
* Sound: SPU2, 48 2D Voices, ADPCM, 2MB
* Data: 24MB (2.6 GB/s), 16MB (81 MB/s), 4.7GB Discs, Expansion 56K Modem

Comp Specs:
* CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3.2GHz or Intel Core Duo 3.1 GHz
* Graphics: Nvidia 8800 GTS or ATI Radeon 3850
* Sound: Nearly Any
* Data 128 MB or more of HHD, 4.7GB Discs, Internet Connection[/color]

Sponsored links

Because we wan't you to use the search engine.

| i7 860 2.8@4ghz | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B | Asus Maximus Formula III | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Gigabyte | 570 GTX AMP! | Enermax 720w PSU | X-Fi Titan | OCZ Vertex 120 GB |
cause look, all of it is custom made. emotion engine, SONY GS. what emulation is is matching the HARDWARE in software, it's not easy to do, that's why it needs high-end PCs right now. I remember back when PSX was being emulated and needed a lot higher than it does now and people were complaining. it's just how it works, that's all.
Because the PS2 is a lot fancier than you think it is.

That's the short answer. The long answer requires an in-depth technical understanding of micro-architecture and parallel processing. I'll do it in small steps:

Step 1: The 300mhz Emotion Engine is superscalar. It runs 2 instructions at a time, and rarely ever stalls both pipelines. This makes it unique from previous MIPS cpus such as the R4000 or R3000, which only run one instruction at a time, and stall quite often on loads, stores, and other instructions. So by being 300mhz it's actually closer to 600mhz in terms of instruction throughput, and closer to like 800mhz if you wanted to compare it to an R4000, and would be something equivalent to a 1.2ghz R3000.

Step 2: The Emotion Engine has its own built in set of MMI instructions which are special to it. No other MIPS cpu has them, and they are rather exceptionally complicated to implement. Most of the MMI instructions run in a single cycle (and thus a throughput of two per EE clock cycle!), but require between 3 and 6 ix86-SSE instructions to emulate (some instructions require over a dozen SSEs to perform!).

Step 3: The VU0 and VU1 are built the same way. They are superscalar and capable of running two instructions on every clock cycle. Both the VU0 and VU1 are 150mhz. 150x2, and then times 2 again since both chips run in parallel: That's another 600mhz of dedicated SIMD instruction processing, in addition to the EE's.

Step 4: The EE has 32 128-bit registers, and each VU has 32 128-bit registers and 32 32-bit registers. That's a grand total of 96 128-bit registers and 64 32-bit registers. Your fancy ix86 cpu has like 16 128-bit registers and 16 64-bit registers.

Step 5: And none of this even begins to address the inherent complexities of the PS2's memory bus and DMA controller, which require quite a lot of emulated management due to the number of concurrent processors all trying to share the bus at the same time, and still stay in sync. Indeed, emulating the PS2 is fun. Smile
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
I'm really curious... do you know what the word "emulate" means?

Given the complexity of the task, that it can be accomplished by hardware only 10 times more powerful is a testament to how awesome the dev team are. Actually, given the complexity of the task, that it can be accomplished at all is a testament to how awesome the dev team are.
i7 930 @ 3.8GHz/6GB DDR-3-1600 8-8-8-24/ATI HD5770-1GB/Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit
maths out to about 7.8 ghs or so if I did the math right, also since it's 2 instructions per cycle, it may even be higher. and this is run on how many cores on the ps2? (gpu and cpu)
And getting the programming languages for an x86 CPU and the PS2's numerous processors to communicate one with another (sync) is another daunting task in itself. Trying to understand how all the lines of code and how they work would drive me to insanity. The fact that the Dev team can uderstand how this works is why they're so freakin' awesome.
LOL! Imagine the amount of processing power would be needed to emualte a PS3!!! Laugh
6 cores, all custom, yea... it would take a ton more than we can produce right now.
for a ps3 and a xbox 360...
the closest would probably be a power pc from apple
as they have a power pc structure too ^^
but really the ps3 is a beast... if you can use the hardware right^^
Chicken is not Vegan?