Why is DW5 different?
I've been using PCSx2 for quite awhile now, having consolidating my collection to the PC for space-saving, and it's been great. I saw Dynasty Warriors 5 (DW5) at the flee market, and went to play it, and I get large FPS hits when there are lots of enemies on the screen. I rarely experience a slow-down in these games, mostly negligible, but it's different here. I have very little experience with messing with the plug-ins as all the games I've played so far ran flawlessly without adjusting anything. I tried enabling some speedhack, but the game started strobing and I nearly seized. Any input/suggestions?

CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.6ghz Quad-Core
GPU: 2x GeForce 550 GTX Ti (4gb total RAM)
RAM: 16gb GSkill DDR3 1600
HDD: 1.5tb 7500 RPM

Sponsored links

Get a better CPU.
Bulldozer architecture is unfortunatemy very bad at single threaded applications like pcsx2
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
You can always overclock it...
Specs: Intel Pentium P5 @ 60 Mhz, 1 Gigabyte HDD, OS: DOS
That gpu, while decent, won't touch a Dynasty warriors game. Check this website for various scores on gpu's. You need above 3000 to play a DW game well. And yes, your cpu is lacking unless you can get it above 4.6ghz.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

I would have to disagree with you, DaTankAC.
Your experiences with Dynasty Warriors seem strange to me,
and do not coincide with any of mine.

I wouldn't doubt a GTX 550 will handle the game itself.
Of course, it would hit some limit with upscaling.

That CPU is a weak type per-clock.
Try OCing it and see how that does.
It's typically like Speedhacks,
but without the side effects on emulation.
(07-04-2013, 12:25 AM)DaTankAC Wrote: That gpu, while decent, won't touch a Dynasty warriors game. Check this website for various scores on gpu's. You need above 3000 to play a DW game well. And yes, your cpu is lacking unless you can get it above 4.6ghz.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

Im not too sure how different DW5 is to DW3, but I can run DW3 at 3x native on a 610m (2x on HD 4000) so I would daresay his gpu would suffice

Though if DW5 is anything like DW3, dont use the EE cycle rate or VU cycle stealing hacks.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
Hmm...I'm just not sure why I drew the short straw on the gpu performance. Neither my old GTX 550 Ti or 6850 were any good at rendering this game. Oh well...with my current setup I don't really worry about it anymore.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

Dynasty Warrior 5 was when they started using a new engine, I do believe (same one used in DW Gundam 1 and 2) which seems to be a bit trickier to emulate. Also to note, besides the fact bulldozer is probably the worst per-thread performance wise processor of the last 5 years, it's also not a true quad core, so your mileage may not get as far using MTVU as a true tri or greater core CPU.
[Image: 2748844.png]
One thing people must not know is that these games had massive slow downs on the console itself. When they're alot of enemies on the screen it would slow down to probably about 10fps im guessing on the console. SO for this to happen would seem rather normal to me. Unless somehow the emulator fixes this but I kind of doubt that it does. So in my eyes its emulating it perfectly and there are no problems here.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3
(07-04-2013, 04:44 PM)fade2black001 Wrote: One thing people must not know is that these games had massive slow downs on the console itself. When they're alot of enemies on the screen it would slow down to probably about 10fps im guessing on the console. SO for this to happen would seem rather normal to me. Unless somehow the emulator fixes this but I kind of doubt that it does. So in my eyes its emulating it perfectly and there are no problems here.

Very valid point.