Why is my 4.2 GHz running FF12 at 20 FPS -- Something is wrong!
Here are my system specs:

Intel C2D E8400 @ 4.2 GHz
8 GB RAM
nVidia 8800 GTX (768 MB)
Windows Vista x64

I've downloaded the latest official PCSX2 (0.9.6) and am trying to run Final Fantasy XII.

When I start the game I'm getting 60 FPS and during the initial FMVs I'm getting 60 FPS but when I start the first gameplay scene my FPS drops to 22 FPS and my CPU usage is at 95% (according to PCSX2/GSdx).

I'm guessing that I have something configured wrong...

I've attached screenshots of my settings.

Can anybody please help me out?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

it's a mono core?
No, it's a Intel Core 2 Duo Smile
if you leave it at factory defaut, does it still lag?
I'm playing this game now. i7@4ghz

I loaded up that first room with the settings I'm using for my current game (which *never* drops below 60 fps), and it drew that first room at 45 fps using your advanced settings. Our settings differ only on one option:

EE Clamp Mode: None. Changing to this brought me back up to 60 fps at 1280x720 with 0.1.14. In my experience (I'm 40 hours in :o), I have been able to increase my internal resolution as the game progresses -- I guess there's something about the scene rendering that becomes easier, and this initial room/scene/level performs 'worst' (forces the lowest internal resolution).

Also, changing to gsdx 0.1.7 is a large speedup for me, with *very* minor additional graphical glitches (screen flashes once while loading some areas..). I still use 0.1.14, and can run the game at 1920x1080 except for *some* in-game cutscenes where I need to drop it down to 1280x720 (or swap to 0.1.7).

Otherwise, the only other emulation imperfection is a "line" around the vertical equator of some character models, which can be removed by disabling texture filtering (not worth it), or running DX9 at some specific resolutions (also not worth it). You should be enjoying near-perfect emulation for this game.

Also, EE cycle rate multiplier hacks do nothing for me other than destroy FMVs. I have the three speed hacks checked, but they seem to do nothing one way or another.
the prolog "event" is slow for me too, wait till after that to report slowdowns.
then the pcsx team need to look into it
cause there is quite a few games still not able to run
and to type up a list would be long and for them to bring down there
emulator a bit cause haveing to pay out for anover processor
just to run the games at full speed is a bit stupid and when i can
play any pc game out even ones this year and they want more then this emulator
(03-20-2009, 11:55 PM)dave31 Wrote: then the pcsx team need to look into it
*facepalm*
for further explanation
Hmmm, when should it speed up again? I've left the first room and have fought the first (tutorial) boss and a few other fights and it's still between 20 and 30 fps.

Is this normal still?
(03-20-2009, 11:55 PM)dave31 Wrote: then the pcsx team need to look into it

I know what you mean. It's not like this is free software that a group of people are making in their spare time. Getting PS2 games to run on a PC is easy, I mean you just put the DVD in and it should work fine. It's all the same, right?

Learn a bit about what the project has accomplished before bashing them. The developers have created something that is the computation equivalent of Jesus turning water into wine.
The only other program like it is sold by Sony in the form of a PS2 dev kit, at roughly ~$15,000. Sony itself couldn't even make a perfect emulator, look at the PS3's compatibility issues and count yourself lucky.

e:
(03-21-2009, 12:46 AM)sofakng Wrote: Hmmm, when should it speed up again? I've left the first room and have fought the first (tutorial) boss and a few other fights and it's still between 20 and 30 fps.

Is this normal still?
Forgot about you lol. IIRC my FPS didn't increase to full until after the tutorials.
Search the forums for 'FFXII' and you should get quite a few plugin configurations. Should be able to find someone with similar hardware.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi