Why isn't PCSX2 as fast as it used to be?
Last year, i could use PCSX2 on my PC at full speed, pulling 60fps anywhere, anytime. I've since restored my computer and reinstalled PCSX2 but it seems to be a different version. The first one asked to reserve 2GB of RAM, which i did. This one now hadn't asked that. Presumably because of that, PCSX2 is running like butt residue.

I've made a couple changes to my system, from Catalyst Control, speedhacks in PCSX2 and setting high performance in Windows. I can get 60fps if there is nothing much to render but upon looking at water (or, strangely, entering a cave in Crash Twinsanity), the framerate drops to around 30-40.. It's really annoying, especially knowing that I used to have a solid 60fps, even if my PS2 disc was super scratched up and barely readable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's my specs;

Device: Surface Pro 2

Sponsored links

it's your ATi it holds only DDR2
try change it w/ ATi gddr5 model.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
You're thinking of pcsx2-playground it used to "lock pages" in memory (it never reserved 2gb of memory) (btw that version is ancient),
Try to set gsdx to native mode if you are using up-scaling, or maybe try using zerogs instead of gsdx since that would of been what was used back in the really old pcsx2 builds.
It's possible that the game you're playing got slower due to emulation advancements.
We always prioritize accuracy and feature completeness over speed.
(Wouldn't want to look at a 800fps black screen, would you? Tongue2)

You can always try the old version of course.
(02-06-2012, 02:40 AM)tallbender Wrote: it's your ATi it holds only DDR2
try change it w/ ATi gddr5 model.

Can't, it's a laptop. What I have is what I can deal with.
(02-06-2012, 03:18 PM)rama Wrote: It's possible that the game you're playing got slower due to emulation advancements.
We always prioritize accuracy and feature completeness over speed.
(Wouldn't want to look at a 800fps black screen, would you? Tongue2)

You can always try the old version of course.

That's the thing though, I don't know what version it was, from a random guess it probably would have been several months old by now Sad

For the most part Crash Twinsanity is playable though, but I guess there's nothing much I can do about the framerate drop.

On a side note, the game shows a ghost image over the screen, which seems to appear/disappear depending on the distance. For example, in a cave, I don't see it much because I'm indoors. But on the outside, I can see it in it's entirety. Is that just me, or is that a PCSX2 glitch?
Oh yeah, that game is buggy.
(02-06-2012, 06:58 PM)rama Wrote: Oh yeah, that game is buggy.

It used to work fine though Sad Ack I'll probably have to just make a copy of the original disc and go dig up my PS2 and mod the hell out of it.
Tbf, what your saying is basically the same as somebody asking, "I played 2009 games fine on my 2008 pc, why the hell can't I play 2012 games just as well on that same machine".

Plus maybe your system is not in as good shape as it used to be, degradation etc, do you clean your system, reg, hdd etc, defrag, keep your services, processes under control, so all the unnecessary ones are turned off, or on manual.

Basic rule In a way I can break it down would be,

PCSX2 actually runs quite a lot better than it used to, for example it will run at much better speeds and compatiblilty today, on a machine of equal spec to what yours was by standard at the time, with the same standard of hardware, but updated. ie would run much smoother on middle low-end hardware now, than it would have a year or so ago, but current middle low-end hardware.