Why only 2 threads?
Looked around and couldn't find the answer to this. Why does the emulator only use 2 threads? It seems like it would be much more effective if it could run with 4 or 6 even for those with X6 processors.

I suppose it must be somewhat hard to get it to run with more than 2 threads or it would have been done before?

Sponsored links

Quote:It seems like it would be much more effective if it could run with 4 or 6 even for those with X6 processors.

Actually, not really. That's mainly why making pcsx2 work on more than 2 cores would be a hard work for little gain.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Because emulation is fundamentally a serial process and while the PS2 has chips which perform their tasks in parallel with the CPU the only one which has so far proved practical to thread has been the GS because the others force syncs too often. We have plans but they aren't happening this year.

Or if that means nothing to you: because threads aren't fairy dust.
(07-12-2011, 11:46 PM)pseudonym Wrote: Because emulation is fundamentally a serial process and while the PS2 has chips which perform their tasks in parallel with the CPU the only one which has so far proved practical to thread has been the GS because the others force syncs too often. We have plans but they aren't happening this year.

Or if that means nothing to you: because threads aren't fairy dust.

Off topic; what about 64bits? or would be a waste of time??
its not impossible, but not on any of the devs targets
(07-12-2011, 11:43 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Actually, not really. That's mainly why making pcsx2 work on more than 2 cores would be a hard work for little gain.

How would it have little gain? If it could utilize twice the cores then that's effectively twice the processing power. I don't get it? O.o
(07-13-2011, 12:10 AM)Codemastadink Wrote: How would it have little gain? If it could utilize twice the cores then that's effectively twice the processing power. I don't get it? O.o
you don't get it.

processing power can't be "added" like that.

it would allow more tasks to be made at the same time. now, as Pseudonym said, synchronisation between cores would be hardly as accurate as the PS2's ones.

(07-13-2011, 12:24 AM)jesalvein Wrote: you don't get it.

processing power can't be "added" like that.

it would allow more tasks to be made at the same time. now, as Pseudonym said, synchronisation between cores would be hardly as accurate as the PS2's ones.

I understand that you can't just add it together. So the real problem comes down to keeping more than 2 threads in sync?
that's what I got from Pseudonym's explanations
(07-12-2011, 11:53 PM)ecchiless Wrote: Off topic; what about 64bits? or would be a waste of time??

atm we have no plans to convert to 64bits.
its hard to predict how much faster a proper port to 64bits would be.
if it were a sure thing that we'd get a big performance speedup, then we'd look into it more seriously; but my thinking is it won't be that-much faster.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code