Why?
I was reading the hardware specs for a ps2 console and not to my surprise, they don't even come close to pc specs. Yet why is it so many of us are having graphics issues, extremely slow fps, and other glitches when our PC hardware and software (directx11 vs 7-9) completely blow the ps2 out of the water? It's just absurd. I need to tick many of the speed hack options, cpu options, and graphic options to get a decent frame rate. And come to mention, it still stablises differently based on whether it's a in-game video, the actual gameplay itself or whether or not you are on the menu. I mean, a 3.2ghz overclocked intel core two duo should be able to play a DirectX9 game that runs on a 300mhz ps2 processor, requires 32mb ddr ram, and a 16mb video card with 1000x less pixel shaders. What's the deal here?

Sponsored links

Sigh, it starts to hurt after a while. Search the forum, 1.000.000 people before you asked the exact same thing.
They all had no idea what emulation means, why it's slow, or why you simply cannot compare "specs" like that.

Oh, and sometimes they throw in a personal favorite of mine: "But my pc plays Crysis on high!". Classic.
The deal is that a PS2 game isn't a DX9 game for an x86 processor, it's a sony GS/VU game for an R5900/R3000 MIPS system. From a game developer's point of view it may be analogous to certain PC specifications, but the hardware is actually very dissimilar.
The best part is that PCSX2 is basically speedhacked even with all speedhacks disabled. It currently can't do a 1:1 for-cycle emulation ratio, simply because it's impractically slow and it tends to cause problems in some games due to buggy EE/IOP sync [SIF].

So yeah, be happy it's not even slower. Smile
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
In other words, a computer was never meant to run PS2 games in the first place. Be grateful that PCSX2 is not the way it use to be (2-3 FPS). Didn't the opening cutscene for Kingdom Hearts take over two hours?
Sorry had no idea this question was posted this many times. But before this thread is closed, is it realistic to ask that it may be possible sometime in the near future to fully run ps2 games at their normal framerate and settings without high-end system requirements? Pscx for instance runs playstation one games perfectly, and you can do that on practically any machine. Even a netbook.
(03-26-2010, 04:29 PM)ks9 Wrote: Sorry had no idea this question was posted this many times. But before this thread is closed, is it realistic to ask that it may be possible sometime in the near future to fully run ps2 games at their normal framerate and settings without high-end system requirements? Pscx for instance runs playstation one games perfectly, and you can do that on practically any machine. Even a netbook.

Sadly no. You really have to understand how these things work. The ps2 is a totally different Hardware set with different CPU instructions and what not. When you use an emulator these things have to translated so that we can in a sense mimic the ps2. It's not easy and to be honest the fact that pcsx2 runs as well as it does is amazing. Most emulators aren't this far along.
(03-26-2010, 04:38 PM)SirPoozalot Wrote:
(03-26-2010, 04:29 PM)ks9 Wrote: Sorry had no idea this question was posted this many times. But before this thread is closed, is it realistic to ask that it may be possible sometime in the near future to fully run ps2 games at their normal framerate and settings without high-end system requirements? Pscx for instance runs playstation one games perfectly, and you can do that on practically any machine. Even a netbook.

Sadly no. You really have to understand how these things work. The ps2 is a totally different Hardware set with different CPU instructions and what not. When you use an emulator these things have to translated so that we can in a sense mimic the ps2. It's not easy and to be honest the fact that pcsx2 runs as well as it does is amazing. Most emulators aren't this far along.

Ok, so looks like I might have to buy one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

But can I expect that all ps2 games will eventually be playable like their psx counterparts?
maybe, maybe not.
The emu progresses day after day, but pc hardware is still a bit limited for now.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(03-26-2010, 05:06 PM)ks9 Wrote:
(03-26-2010, 04:38 PM)SirPoozalot Wrote:

Ok, so looks like I might have to buy one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

But can I expect that all ps2 games will eventually be playable like their psx counterparts?

You might want to do a little research on the forums here, you'd learn a lot. You really don't need something like that.
I have:
Q6600 O/C 3.4 GHZ
4GB RAM
Gefore 9600GT x2
and I run the games fine in HD. Do realize though that some games will be unplayable, have crashes, graphical errors, and so on. If you expect it to run like a ps2 then you are not going to get that. Even if you spend the money on that CPU it won't help the games that just don't work. Don't go into the emulator thinking that with a good hardware it'll work just fine, because anything can happen. As someone said earlier a PC isn't a ps2, it wasn't meant to function as one.