Will Up Your Arsenal benefit from i5-2500(non-K) overclocking?
I can bump up my i5-2500 to 3.8ghz in quad core mode, will that be enough to let me run up your arsenal in software mode (to avoid the extreme graphical glitches) smoothly?

And if that won't do anything, are these graphical bugs unavoidable? I have a Radeon HD 6870 so it annoys me that I can't use it.

Sponsored links

unavoidable ATM, except with software mode.
will be a bit weak.
4.2 or 4.5 Ghz may run it smoothly in software mode
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
VU Cycle stealing helps on the Ratchet games too, so a couple of notches on that will help Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Tongue 
I would run at 4.2, except past 3.8 the i5-2500 starts disabling cores Tongue With baseclock adjustments I can get to 3.9ghz, would that be enough to make it smooth(ish)?

The VU cycle stealing seems to help, except on 2 seems to make things a bit laggy. After perfectly smooth Kingdom Hearts I notice even a little lag Smile

Also, how many rendering threads can PCSX2 use? Because there's also a dell with an i7-870 (quad core, has hyperthreading) in my house, so the 8 threads on that might work better than higher clocks.

Thanks for the help so far. Right now I'm going to quickly overclock to 3.8 and see if it changes anything.

EDIT: Overclocking to 3.9 helped a little. Temps are 20C higher though, and the fans are going crazy.
The game is smooth enough, but could be better. Running at 1024x768 with VU cycle stealing on 1.
(04-10-2012, 01:52 AM)thunder21 Wrote: I would run at 4.2, except past 3.8 the i5-2500 starts disabling cores Tongue With baseclock adjustments I can get to 3.9ghz, would that be enough to make it smooth(ish)?

The VU cycle stealing seems to help, except on 2 seems to make things a bit laggy. After perfectly smooth Kingdom Hearts I notice even a little lag Smile

Also, how many rendering threads can PCSX2 use? Because there's also a dell with an i7-870 (quad core, has hyperthreading) in my house, so the 8 threads on that might work better than higher clocks.

Thanks for the help so far. Right now I'm going to quickly overclock to 3.8 and see if it changes anything.

EDIT: Overclocking to 3.9 helped a little. Temps are 20C higher though, and the fans are going crazy.
The game is smooth enough, but could be better. Running at 1024x768 with VU cycle stealing on 1.

I am an i7-2600k owner here and as far as the rendering thread go, I have no trouble bump up the rendering thread up to 16 threads, but further up will spell crash on the PCSX2 itself. On 4.2 Ghz itself, the processor have no trouble running software rendering at full speed even without speed hack, although the game requirement may varies. If you going for SVN build, do it. The AVX instruction set software rendering is really amazing on a little Sandy Bridge processor like your i5-2500.

You might be able to mess around with the BLCK frequency if you really want to smooth up that bad and bump the CPU frequency up to 4.2 Ghz, but I won't take responsibility from it. If you feel like it, you can purchase an aftermarket cooler. Believe me, the Intel stock cooler is garbage and can't even properly cool a processor under load down even at stock speed.

You can improve by scaling down the resolution back to native resolution. Try MTUV hack as well because it's better for processor with 3+ core.
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor overclocked to 4.70 Ghz
Cooler Master Vortex Plus
Kingstom 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
ASUS P8Z68-V Motherboard
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
Western Cavier Blue 500 GB
Cooler Master GX 550W
Cooler Master Elite 430

(04-10-2012, 06:51 PM)sonicstream Wrote: I am an i7-2600k owner here and as far as the rendering thread go, I have no trouble bump up the rendering thread up to 16 threads, but further up will spell crash on the PCSX2 itself. On 4.2 Ghz itself, the processor have no trouble running software rendering at full speed even without speed hack, although the game requirement may varies. If you going for SVN build, do it. The AVX instruction set software rendering is really amazing on a little Sandy Bridge processor like your i5-2500.

You might be able to mess around with the BLCK frequency if you really want to smooth up that bad and bump the CPU frequency up to 4.2 Ghz, but I won't take responsibility from it. If you feel like it, you can purchase an aftermarket cooler. Believe me, the Intel stock cooler is garbage and can't even properly cool a processor under load down even at stock speed.

You can improve by scaling down the resolution back to native resolution. Try MTUV hack as well because it's better for processor with 3+ core.

16 threads? that seems odd for a 8 thread processor...

EDIT: Just changed multiplier to 38x, nothing done to baseclock or anything else (leaving power saving features on to see how it goes)
Will test with SVN build soon.

And I'm seriously considering replacing the crappy intel HSF with a hyper 212+. Just not sure about how to get the thermal paste off, so far the consensus seems to be rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.

Thanks to everyone for dedicating your time to a noob like me Smile
Removing the heat spreader is a very dangerous operation. I don't know if they're still glued on
but if they are, you need a lot of force to break it loose.
The die beneath it is very fragile.
the cores under the spreader are not flat, hence the need for the spreader.
(04-11-2012, 11:39 AM)rama Wrote: Removing the heat spreader is a very dangerous operation. I don't know if they're still glued on
but if they are, you need a lot of force to break it loose.
The die beneath it is very fragile.

The heatsink and the CPU came seperate from each other. By glue do you mean how the thermal paste burns in and sticks like glue? Apparently running your computer so the thermal paste warms up and then twisting the heatsink can get it off.

Not interested in having a bent pin nightmare though so does anybody have experience with replacing a heatsink after using it for a bit?
(04-10-2012, 01:52 AM)thunder21 Wrote: Also, how many rendering threads can PCSX2 use? Because there's also a dell with an i7-870 (quad core, has hyperthreading) in my house, so the 8 threads on that might work better than higher clocks.

The optimal number of threads for a quad core is 3. Ignore Hyperthreading, its crap, especially for emulation.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]