Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will my new PC be compatible with the playable PS2 games?
Just got a new PC Biggrin and thinking of running all the playable ps2 games on it. but don't know if it will work.

Here's the configuration:

4GB RAM (DDR 3)
Intel Core i5 2.8 GHz
Nvidia 8600GT
(didn't change the video card. dad thinks it's too good)Sad

So, guys what do u reckon?

Sponsored links

should be ok for middle-range games
intesnive ones will require a more powerful cpu
... and a more powerful GPU if you don't plan to play on native res
CPU : I7 2600K Oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz
Mobo : Intel P67 southbridge
GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti
RAM : 6 Go
That graphics card will hold you down a bit, will have to keep "native" option enabled in GSdx for most games and even then with some it won't be enough. Otherwise should be fine but depends on what games you want to run.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
I don't think so. I don't know if newer versions of the emu have gotten slow or what but I used to play on a MOBILE 8400GT and was able to beat from start to finish with minor slow downs (core 2 duo 2.4ghz mobile no oc) plenty of games (FFX, FFX-2, FF XII being this the only gpu intensive game), Kingdom Hearts 1, Kingdom Hearts 2, Xenosaga (this was a bit slow in battles when effecs kicked in, not because of GU but because of CPU).

I have played those games at 1280x800 native res since it was the resolution of my -then- laptop (a Vaio FZ) and I have personally tested that going from native to 1280x800 internal res brings almost no impact on speed. It is all much more CPU dependent. Of course if you get crazy and try to play your games at 1920x1920 internal res you will need a powerfull vga, but I think it's unnecessary.

That rig will be ok for a lot of games and you an always OC that processor to 3.3 or even 3.5 for the other games. PCSX2 and emulation in general is much much more CPU dependent than GPU.
You kow what? better try for yourself and you'll see what I mean. Start FFX in native and then bump it to 1024x1024 or 1280x800, if you see more than 5fps difference (and it gets slow) then something isn't well configured in your pcsx2. I also haven't tried much the newer versions but with 0.9.6 rsn 1888 it worked pretty well. Even older versions were faster -but less compatible and less accurate-. Today the emulator has gotten much more accurate and much more compatible but it comes at a cost, and that cost sometimes is speed.
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7
(12-15-2010, 01:24 PM)jesalvein Wrote: should be ok for middle-range games
intesnive ones will require a more powerful cpu

Only (desktop) Core i5 running at 2.8 GHz stock is the i5-760. Hard to get more powerful than that, particularly when it's running at max Turbo. Beyond that, you're looking at Core i7 with HT and higher stock clocks which the i5-760 should be able to match/exceed with overclocking.
(12-15-2010, 09:27 PM)dotHack Wrote: plenty of games (FFX, FFX-2, FF XII being this the only gpu intensive game), Kingdom Hearts 1, Kingdom Hearts 2, Xenosaga (this was a bit slow in battles when effecs kicked in, not because of GU but because of CPU).

Yes, and again it depends on the games mikomia wants to run. FFX/kingdom hearts are of the least demanding games... and xenosaga is slow even in very good hardware anyway Tongue2
Yeah, that's what I meant. There are plenty of games he will be able to play very well (with just minor slowdowns) and games that he probably wouldn't want to try =P but I think the VGA is already quite good. It will be more his cpu speed holding those demanding games. And he can always overclock that. Always loved what you did to your E5400 =D (never asked and your signature doesn't tell so may I ask... wich mobo? =)
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7
El cheapo: Asrock G965M-S, what lets me overclock it is the multiplier in the CPU and not the mobo tho (can't go past ~300MHz bus speed cause of mobo Tongue2)
(12-16-2010, 05:55 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: El cheapo: Asrock G965M-S, what lets me overclock it is the multiplier in the CPU and not the mobo tho (can't go past ~300MHz bus speed cause of mobo Tongue2)

did you try over volting
or is it locked at 300mhz?
long ago in a distant city, i batman defender of gotham unleashed an unspeakable order. but a foolish clown wielding a menasing laugh steped forth too opose me.
To overclock in this mobo I need to overclock the PCIe bus too so yes it's practically locked (don't feel like overclocking it more than 112-115 and one of my HDDs won't work pass that anyway), it's still pretty good considering mobo+cpu costed me like ~100 bucks (El cheapo build Laugh).