Will these games work with these specs on Ubuntu 12.04?
I have an old computer, but something tells me it should suffice, at least for some of these few selected games:

1.Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty

2.Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII

3.Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and San Andreas

4.Hot Shots Golf Fore!

5.Kingdom Hearts I & II.

6.Dead 2 Rights.

(Yes, I own all of these games)

Here are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 - 3.10 GHz, 1,066 MHz FSB, and an Intel G45 Express Chipset. GPU is an Intel GMA X4500 @ 533 Mhz with up to 384 MB of RAM usage, and DX 10, Shader 4.0, and OpenGL 2.1. It has 2GB of DDR3 RAM @ 1,066 MHz, and that pretty much covers the important aspects to take into consideration here.

I know FFX should work flawlessly with any Core 2 Duo at 2 GHz or higher, DDR3 and with the GMA 4500/G45 chipsets/GPU combos (but that's on Windows builds; not sure how much behind Linux ones may be). Hot Shots Golf Fore! is a bigger pain since it has GFX issues and is demanding, so even with these specs I presume it may not even get 30 FPS with no speed hacks/etc. I don't know how demanding MGS2 is, nor any Grand Theft Auto series games on PS2, but from videos I've seen on YouTube some run pretty great on slower Core 2 Duos than the one I have. FFX-2 should be roughly the same as FFX, but possibly a little more demanding? FFXII might be bigger trouble as well, especially with the GPU. Just want some opinions, or if you've played them on similar rigs with similar specs, share your framerates and games tested.

I just want to play with native resolution; no enhancements of any kind. I'm looking for something in the range of (roughly) 50-60 FPS most of the time with at least some of these games. I fear some of these games may struggle with the GPU more than the CPU though.

Sponsored links

Don't expect much from either your CPU or GPU. Your native PS2 will be much better.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(11-17-2014, 08:39 PM)DaTankAC Wrote: Don't expect much from either your CPU or GPU. Your native PS2 will be much better.

Why not? The CPU specified is not that bad at all. It's nothing high-end, but it's well-to-do for many intensive computing tasks. The GPU isn't much to brag about, I agree, but I can get it a little heftier with some workarounds.

I would like it if you elaborated more. My concern, if anything, would be video problems with the GMA X4500 drivers and OpenGL with Linux, which may affect graphics in emulation. I think the CPU is fine enough for several 3-D titles to work full-speed though with the accompanying GPU and hardware as well.

EDIT: I just did a search around and many people report that the CPU I listed gets many 3-D games fully-playable at 60 FPS. I've seen threads with people talking about FFX, Persona 4, Kingdom Hearts, Xenosaga II, Silent Hill 2, etc.; albeit they all have better GPUs, but I believe the GMA X4500 can make the stretch for at least SOME games to be perfect. It's not great, but it's not a bad GPU either. Again, my concerns would be over the Linux drivers for this GPU and not the hardware's performance as a whole.

The most I've tried in hardware-acceleration for this GPU under Ubuntu 12.04 would be Mupen64 and PCSX-Reloaded, and all compatible games work flawlessly that I have; however, PCSX2 plugin backends are much more demanding and critical in OpenGL.
I honestly don't know if you're system is strong enough, but one thing that may help though is upgrading to a newer version of Ubuntu for updated mesa drivers. Also you shouldn't compare pcsx2 to pcsx-reloaded. I can run ps games in pcsxr on my netbook which uses an old atom processor, and can only run some of my ps2 games on my i7 920 + 650ti, or A8-6600k at full speed. It's nowhere near as demanding as pcsx2.
Yeah, those games will all have slowdowns. That igpu is awful. The cpu is also cause slowdowns
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(11-17-2014, 10:05 PM)rLoke Wrote: I honestly don't know if you're system is strong enough, but one thing that may help though is upgrading to a newer version of Ubuntu for updated mesa drivers. Also you shouldn't compare pcsx2 to pcsx-reloaded. I can run ps games in pcsxr on my netbook which uses an old atom processor, and can only run some of my ps2 games on my i7 920 + 650ti, or A8-6600k at full speed. It's nowhere near as demanding as pcsx2.

Well I would assume it'd help to know what these games are that you are trying to run that need an i7. As far as I can tell, almost all compatible games should run fairly well on either of those processors you've listed and with that GPU. Many people, however, report that the Core 2 Duo E7200 can run a handful of games full-speed.

And I am not sure on this, but I thought Mesa generally was a frontend for Mesa-compatible driver interfacing. The driver I'm using supports OpenGL 2 very well, to say the least, as from testing.
(11-17-2014, 10:47 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Yeah, those games will all have slowdowns. That igpu is awful. The cpu is also cause slowdowns

Have you personally tried this, or is this just a hunch? I know the GPU isn't much, but are you speaking for performance in general or just on Ubuntu 12.04 with ANY obtainable PCSX2 builds? I have a hard time believing that this processor can't handle FFX, at least, when I tried with a single-core Celeron M450 @ 2.2 GHz and was getting like 35 FPS or higher. The M450 (P6) to the Core 2 Duo (Core) is quite a gap in power, plus I can overclock the GPU, I think.
Here are few of the games that do not run at full speed.
Tekken 5
Armored Core 3
Blood Rayne 2
Rogue Galaxy

Newer versions of mesa come with performance improvements. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar..._lts&num=1
(11-17-2014, 11:21 PM)rLoke Wrote: Here are few of the games that do not run at full speed.
Tekken 5
Armored Core 3
Blood Rayne 2
Rogue Galaxy

Newer versions of mesa come with performance improvements. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar..._lts&num=1

None of those games should have any problem with an i7, i5, or even i3 of any sort over 2.5 GHz. Blood Rayne 2 isn't very demanding at all (like FFX); Tekken 5 somewhat more though. Perhaps it's more a settings thing or software-side issue than what you can get from the hardware? That's what I'd put my finger on.

If those aren't working full-speed, you should give your software-setup a recap; not your hardware's peak performance. Also, Tekken 5 seems to be a pain to setup from what I've researched, and settings can vary like crazy (device driver, PCSX2 version, plugin/settings, EE/GS settings, and even varying between OSes), and isn't too dependent on needing a state-of-the-art CPU or GPU. Compatibility matters as well.
Um you do know that not all i7's are the same right? And that a high clock speed does not mean a better performing processor... And that you can't compare two different processors based only on clock speed. For example my 6+ year old Nehalem is not going to compare favourably to just about any Haswell.