Window/internal Resolution
So I was reading comments on svn, and saw the comments of scaling the internal res, and window sizes

I was reading rama's comments, and I do the same thing

say if the game you play's native res 512x448.. multiply by 2 and get 1024x896

I find it it to fix a few games that get blurry as they scale

I dont think the internal needs to match the actual window size

say you play a game at 1280x1024 fullscreen and the native is 640x224
it'll still be really jagged right?
well you bump the internal up to 1280x1024 as well and you get a blurry overlay or sprites that are stretched a little weird..
well 640x224*2=
1280x448
it evens up the ratio, and it's still a lot less jagged
anyway, alot probably know this.. just stating ^.^'

They aren't 100% fixes, just for some stuff

pictures of what i mean, these were quick due to time
first one of each are just standard 1600x1200
second is scaled to their internal
The Front Mission one is less blurry, the gliches are something else

Desktop: 3.06 C2D, 4GB GSkill Ram, 500GB HD, ATI4850
Lappy: 1.6 Atom, 1GB Ram, 160GB HD, Gma950- 2d games run great! Laugh

Sponsored links

Hate to say this, but you're a little late in finding that out. Here's a quick rundown.
Window is how big the screen that displays the game will be, that's it. Changing this will not affect performance.
Internal resolution is basically how the game video output is "rendered". The higher the number, the better the image quality (unless the game doesn't like high internal res, and it glitches the graphic). Changing this number will affect performance. You can literally set this number to anything. It doesn't have to be a scale. Just make sure your GPU can handle it, otherwise PCSX2 will crash. For example, I set mine to 2400x1800, because I like a 4:3 ratio and I'm weird like that. I can also set it to something like 1920x1080, a 16:9 ratio. 1:1 ratio is fine too. So yeah, it doesn't have to follow any special pattern. Just that higher internal res = better image quality. Lower internal res = lower image quality.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
(08-01-2009, 11:56 PM)dr_thrax Wrote: Hate to say this, but you're a little late in finding that out. Here's a quick rundown.
Window is how big the screen that displays the game will be, that's it. Changing this will not affect performance.
Internal resolution is basically how the game video output is "rendered". The higher the number, the better the image quality (unless the game doesn't like high internal res, and it glitches the graphic). Changing this number will affect performance. You can literally set this number to anything. It doesn't have to be a scale. Just make sure your GPU can handle it, otherwise PCSX2 will crash. For example, I set mine to 2400x1800, because I like a 4:3 ratio and I'm weird like that. I can also set it to something like 1920x1080, a 16:9 ratio. 1:1 ratio is fine too. So yeah, it doesn't have to follow any special pattern. Just that higher internal res = better image quality. Lower internal res = lower image quality.
I know all that, im talking about scaling fixing text/ overlays
*2,*4 of the native res to try to fix those glitches
dr_thrax: You didn't get the point Tongue2
It's all about the stray pixels / shifted textures / odd bugs that happen when you use a non power of 2 scale.
Your 2400x1800 will definitely cause glitches in affected games (about 50% of games are affected, at least).

One problem with doing this is knowing exactly what the native resolution is, also we'd need to know if it ever changes in a game.
(08-02-2009, 06:58 AM)rama Wrote: dr_thrax: You didn't get the point Tongue2
It's all about the stray pixels / shifted textures / odd bugs that happen when you use a non power of 2 scale.
Your 2400x1800 will definitely cause glitches in affected games (about 50% of games are affected, at least).

One problem with doing this is knowing exactly what the native resolution is, also we'd need to know if it ever changes in a game.

exactly Laugh

like ffx-2 switches res for videos

but most the time it works out pretty well

I also tested x3 and x5,and they work out pretty well

so as long as you are constant with uping them it works out
Sorry, my bad.Tongue

Hmmm...it seemed to have fixed the FMV crash in Another Century's Episode 3. Ghosting/double image is still there though. If only I have more games to test it out on...Too lazy to make some iso right now. Mellow
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
I have a 2D game with intrinsic resolution at 640 x 224. On ZeroGS it's jagged with fullscreen at 1024 x 768, However nothing abnormal with fullscreen at 640 x 480.

Image is magnifying when encounter high resolution.

That's why I'm still persisting in CRT these days. to match the PS2 intrinsic resolution as much as possible.
durable PC since 2008
CPU : E7200 @ 2.53 GHz 1.04 V / OC 3.7 GHz 1.36 V (390*9.5, 4GB DDR2 780)
GPU : 8600GT (GDDR3, 256 MB) / OC (750 / 900)
BOARD : GA-EP31-DS3L (rev 1.0) broken and bought a second hand one replaced
PSU : 300 W